Wiki Posts
Search

Setting up shock rebound?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Setting up shock rebound?

How do I limit my shock rebound? And what other things can I do besides changing pistons, fluid, or springs to tune my shocks?

Last edited by bevofrancis; 05-21-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

With the amount of fluid in the shocks. mJust be carefull to not rip your shock blatters.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjshbetz11
With the amount of fluid in the shocks. mJust be carefull to not rip your shock blatters.
How about some tips on how to do it, or a link or something that talks about it?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Prophet

and it takes quite a bit of time to get it were you want it lol, and not to metion you dont know if theres, a couple of air bubbles ethier from doing it.

it takes patience !
Old 05-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ock+setup&aq=7

All sorts of videos on shocks here!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The easiest way to do this is to first figure out the amount of rebound you want. ie 25%, 50% etc. Once you know this, find out then length of your shocks and how many mm the shock needs to compress to reach this about of rebound.

Then go and cut a piece of fuel tubing this length, as well as add a long cut up the side of the tubing so it opens wide.

Once your shock is at the stage where it's ready to be bleed, simpily put on this piece of fuel tubing and slide the shock shaft up so that the tubing is the spacer between the top and bottom of the shock shaft.

This will bleed make bleeding the left and right shock to the exact same rebound very simple.

Remember, some models of vehicles have different shock length on front vs back so if your running 50% rebound all around on your vehicle, you will need one spacer for the front and a different spacer for the rear.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Akhor
The easiest way to do this is to first figure out the amount of rebound you want. ie 25%, 50% etc. Once you know this, find out then length of your shocks and how many mm the shock needs to compress to reach this about of rebound.

Then go and cut a piece of fuel tubing this length, as well as add a long cut up the side of the tubing so it opens wide.

Once your shock is at the stage where it's ready to be bleed, simpily put on this piece of fuel tubing and slide the shock shaft up so that the tubing is the spacer between the top and bottom of the shock shaft.

This will bleed make bleeding the left and right shock to the exact same rebound very simple.

Remember, some models of vehicles have different shock length on front vs back so if your running 50% rebound all around on your vehicle, you will need one spacer for the front and a different spacer for the rear.

Hope this helps.

on a 1/8 buggy/truggy or a 1/10 you talking about ? i know you use a spacer or fuel tubing on a 1/10 on the front shocks.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
on a 1/8 buggy/truggy or a 1/10 you talking about ? i know you use a spacer or fuel tubing on a 1/10 on the front shocks.
I don't think that he means to keep the spacer there, it's just a temporary removable spacer that you make to get the rebound even from left to right( basically, it allows you to push the shock shaft back into the shock body evenly on the left and right shock--great idea )
Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
I don't think that he means to keep the spacer there, it's just a temporary removable spacer that you make to get the rebound even from left to right( basically, it allows you to push the shock shaft back into the shock body evenly on the left and right shock--great idea )

yea that makes sense if you use, them though i know you whould have to take out the droop screws though.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yea that makes sense if you use, them though i know you whould have to take out the droop screws though.
you only use it when building your shocks, and then you remove it from the shaft after you've rebuilt the shock ( that is why you make the cut along the length of the tubing. ) Basically it's just a removable spacer that makes it easier to have the same rebound on your shocks from left to right..it doesn't stay on the shocks.

..I think that you're thinking of up-travel limiters in the form of tubing on the shock shaft to prevent the shock from fully compressing..totally different thing though.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Download Xray's 808 manual from Xray's website. Pretty good shock building instructions. Should work with most 1/8th scale kits.

I never go past 25% rebound. Usualy I use less, only 1/4". I like very little hydraulic rebound in my shocks. It just makes the car floaty and wears the bladders quicker.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm talking about 1/8th scale.

It's just a temporary spacer so that you can get both the same. You remove it once you have installed the shock cap. Since this spacer is on the outside between the bottom of the metal shock body and the top of the plastic eyelet.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What does adding rebound to the shocks do ?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It makes the shock compression resistance increase progressively, particullarly toward the end of the stroke. To me it feels bouncy most of the time, but it can be a good thing to prevent hard chassis slapping.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Akhor
I'm talking about 1/8th scale.

It's just a temporary spacer so that you can get both the same. You remove it once you have installed the shock cap. Since this spacer is on the outside between the bottom of the metal shock body and the top of the plastic eyelet.

oh ok i know what your taking about now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.