Wiki Posts
Search

XB8TQ setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default XB8TQ setup

Hi everyone, well all my oils and greases etc have arrived.
While replacing bearings and rebuilding diffs, shocks etc I am building the car following a setup sheet I found in the setup section on the team xray website.
My question is I have fitted the 38T front crown wheel, and it has the standard 40 in the rear, I have a 13t clutch (with 1.1mm clutch springs), in amongst the parts supplied with my second hand car I have found a 46t and a 45t centre diff gear, I am wondering which one would be best to fit?
The track is a loamy surface that we wet down approx every hour.
There are a couple of slow corners with not much run up after them to some doubles, I would like more punch out of the corner to get speed up to clear the doubles. One of the sets of doubles is 6 in a row that if timed right can go double double double (as opposed to rolling over them as singles).
I have also just bought some super soft tyres from Sweep racing so these should help aswell.
We do have 1 long straight that I feel will reach max revs before the end but I think that clearing the doubles would give me a faster lap time than reaching a higher speed on straight.

I have gone with 3000 oil in front and 5000 in rear (I also have supplies of 7000 oil) what oil do you recomend for centre - the setup sheet says 5000.

Thanks in advance.

Oh an intersting side note, I did not realise till I pulled it apart, but the second buggy I bought and have been using does not have the "A" arm front upper control arm, instead it uses the same outer link as upper front on both ends, I do have spare used and new "A" arms, should I fit these to regain more adjustability?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Front uses an upper link instead of arm? I did that to a TQ buggy I sold last year. Have any pics of the car? Are the front a-arms milled for clearance? Could be my old car.

For a loamy surface, I'd say maybe 7k f/c and 5k in the rear.

For more snap out of the corners and a lower top speed, you want either a smaller clutchbell or larger spur gear.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

front upper link..yes use this
it gives more steering

diffs :use 4000/4000/5000

shockpistons: drill to 4 holes/ 600

Last edited by speedy2; 05-20-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Xb8TQ - info page from Xray website manuals, tips, parts list, etc..

Xb8TQ - setup sheet history (pdf downloads) from its first release in March 2006
Old 05-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
Front uses an upper link instead of arm? I did that to a TQ buggy I sold last year. Have any pics of the car? Are the front a-arms milled for clearance? Could be my old car.

For a loamy surface, I'd say maybe 7k f/c and 5k in the rear.

For more snap out of the corners and a lower top speed, you want either a smaller clutchbell or larger spur gear.
Have not been out for a look regarding the milling,
But I did buy the car through this site, Here is link to sale.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-cen-ofna.html
And link to more pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eber85/...7622926373592/
Here are some pics that may tell if it was yours?

It is funny looking at responses regarding oils, some people say heavier in the front, and others say lighter in the front
Old 05-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

That IS my old car! Yeah, I milled the front arms for more steering. Nice car, good to see it's still around.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ggy-setup.html
Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
That IS my old car! Yeah, I milled the front arms for more steering. Nice car, good to see it's still around.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ggy-setup.html
Just goes to show how small the world is, The car is now in Australia.
It is a great setup and I was very happy with the deal I struck with the seller.
I have just today stripped it right back, replaced all bearings and oils and reassembled. I have refitted the factory upper front A arms (to gain more adjustablity).
I have gone with a setup posted to me on the teamxray website but have fitted your diff oil specs.
Racing tomorrow afternoon, so in the morning I just need to adjust camber/caster and toe on setup station.