Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Calipers or Cityblocks for truggy ? >

Calipers or Cityblocks for truggy ?

Calipers or Cityblocks for truggy ?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I can't speak for Truggy, but in Buggy, I am very impressed with the forward traction of the Calbers.. Enough so I am not considering get some Calibers for Truggy..

Both are good tires, depending on track conditions on which will work better. The cleaner the line the better City Blocks are going to work, until it becomes blue groove the Revolvers or Grid Irons are gonna work best..
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nothin special
Hey Jammin hows it going ? Not going to be down for the pro race. Just got dental work done, and half my face is swollen, have to see him again tomorrow. Dont look to good for me this race. Bought a D8T. Its not together yet, but working on it . Im looking to be back down your way sometime real soon . I dont like to glue tires either, and had problems with Proline premounts also. What tires work well at your track ?
Oh, that sucks. Any way sounds good about the D8T. AKA premounts are nothing like the proline ones. I have yet to have one fail, and I have run a bunch.

Tires that work down here would include Calibers and Cityblocks. When it is a bit more dusty, I like the I-beams. When it gets a little damp or grooved well, Holeshots, Revolvers and Grid Irons work well. Cityblocks are probably the most common tire you will see here.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Hey what's up nothin? You gonna be back at McCullough's this weekend for the Pro Series race?

As for tires, I actually like them both very much. They are two of the best all around tires you can buy. They seem to always work at least decently on any surface. Calibers seem to be a bit better if the track is loose or really dusty. Other than that, they are very close. I like the narrow carcass and super light weight of the Calibers, but like the AKA foams better. I feel the Ctiyblocks last a little bit longer too. Not that big a difference in wear rate, but the AKA's have a slight advantage. And on top of that, the AKA premounts are fantastic. I'm lazy about gluing tires, so I always find myself leaning towards the AKA's. I wouldn't trust any other premount, but the AKA's are dialed! Either one you pick, you won't be disappointed! Soft or M3 compound.

ive bought aka premounts for the buggy, and they were compelly trued and glue perfect.

but i got some aka city blocks for my truggy, and they are not trued good at all maybe i got a bad pair or something.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Oh, that sucks. Any way sounds good about the D8T. AKA premounts are nothing like the proline ones. I have yet to have one fail, and I have run a bunch.

Tires that work down here would include Calibers and Cityblocks. When it is a bit more dusty, I like the I-beams. When it gets a little damp or grooved well, Holeshots, Revolvers and Grid Irons work well. Cityblocks are probably the most common tire you will see here.
Thanks Jammin . I will be running Oakhill and McCoulloughs some this summer .Those are about the same tires we run here .
Old 05-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra

I personally feel the citi's dont last terrible long until you top row of pins is gone and the tires become overly slick.....Caliber's also dont tend to last very long in comparison to other treads...But they are both very versatile tires that work...its your choice...I vote try em both out and see which tire works better for your local condition's.

I found the exact opposite, i thought they lasted a long time, when i ran calibers they lasted 4 hours before i started to loose traction in the corner. Ive lost count on my cb. I like both tires but the cityblocks have the edge in my opinion, the CB seem to have a little more forward traction as well as they are legal tires, unlike the calibers
Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

both are awesome tires. I run cityblock more just because they dont wear as fast.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Why dont you buy the cityblocks now and then later buy the calibers. Try one then try the other. Thats the only way you can find out. I mean people can recommend and get it down to 4 or so tires for a track you give details about but they cant say what the best is unless you try them out.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Different tracks Ned different tires. The knlymplace calibers did not hook up on my truggy was during the winter indoor where we were running grid irons. I love calibers out doors. City blocks were the hot ticket at the nitropit until it grooved up a f then gridirons. I'll have to try the calibers on my buggy.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL... normally I really like City Blocks. Unfortunately I won't be buying any in the near future, since AKA is based in California. As long as various California cities are boycotting Arizona I won't be doing business with any California based companies.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

I have a pair of Calibers and liked them alot. I was wondering about wear,premounts holding up, and over likes and dislikes . Thanks for the input .
Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DOMIT
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL... normally I really like City Blocks. Unfortunately I won't be buying any in the near future, since AKA is based in California. As long as various California cities are boycotting Arizona I won't be doing business with any California based companies.
Being East Coast I dont understand . Why the boycotting ?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Its because of the whole Mexicans GTFO deal right now. Not AKA's fault. At least their still made in the USA.

I will be planning my next vacation in Arizona
Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nothin special
Being East Coast I dont understand . Why the boycotting ?
Arizona has passed a state law requiring state and local law enforcement officers to confirm the immigration status of anyone they suspect is not here legally that they encounter in the course of their duties. (In other words, if they get stopped for speeding and don't speak English for example...)

LA, San Diego, Berkeley, etc, as well as Seattle, have passed resolutions that they will "boycott" Arizona. No official travel there or any contracts with the state of Arizona. This is a show of support for the protestors who think illegal immigration (i.e. sneaking into the country) should be made legal...

Soooo... as long as that nonsense is going on... I don't buy from California companies. No California wines, no Hollywood movies, no computer/network equipment from HP/Compaq, Gateway, Cisco, Intel, Ingram Micro... no clothes from GAP, no food from Dole, no shopping at Ross, no groceries from Safeway. Honestly the only things I commonly get from California are computer related things, produce, wine, movies, and a headache from the stupid ideas like this one.

In the RC world... there are a number of California companies. I won't be shopping at A-Main while this is going on... no AKA tires, nothing from OFNA... I've had several others mentioned to me, but those are the ones I would reasonably expect to deal with.

They want to start the boycott game... let's see who wins.

As an amusing side note, LA gets about 25% of their electricity from Arizona... and Arizona is threatening to "pull the plug." I hope they do it.

Oh... and Seattle has joined the cities boycotting Arizona. I guess I won't be drinking Starbucks for a while... I can't think of a single other thing I get from there.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
I found the exact opposite, i thought they lasted a long time, when i ran calibers they lasted 4 hours before i started to loose traction in the corner. Ive lost count on my cb. I like both tires but the cityblocks have the edge in my opinion, the CB seem to have a little more forward traction as well as they are legal tires, unlike the calibers
tires arent illegal, the wheels are illegal and you can mount a VTR tire to an LPR style wheel no problem. and the only races that it really matters is the Nationals and how bad other race organizers have a hard-on for other brands being predominiate like we have here in our florida series
Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Arizona has passed a state law requiring state and local law enforcement officers to confirm the immigration status of anyone they suspect is not here legally that they encounter in the course of their duties. (In other words, if they get stopped for speeding and don't speak English for example...)

LA, San Diego, Berkeley, etc, as well as Seattle, have passed resolutions that they will "boycott" Arizona. No official travel there or any contracts with the state of Arizona. This is a show of support for the protestors who think illegal immigration (i.e. sneaking into the country) should be made legal...

Soooo... as long as that nonsense is going on... I don't buy from California companies. No California wines, no Hollywood movies, no computer/network equipment from HP/Compaq, Gateway, Cisco, Intel, Ingram Micro... no clothes from GAP, no food from Dole, no shopping at Ross, no groceries from Safeway. Honestly the only things I commonly get from California are computer related things, produce, wine, movies, and a headache from the stupid ideas like this one.

In the RC world... there are a number of California companies. I won't be shopping at A-Main while this is going on... no AKA tires, nothing from OFNA... I've had several others mentioned to me, but those are the ones I would reasonably expect to deal with.

They want to start the boycott game... let's see who wins.

As an amusing side note, LA gets about 25% of their electricity from Arizona... and Arizona is threatening to "pull the plug." I hope they do it.

Oh... and Seattle has joined the cities boycotting Arizona. I guess I won't be drinking Starbucks for a while... I can't think of a single other thing I get from there.
There is alot of cities that are in the process of boycotting AZ.... Screw that the illegals are winning, why are you going to change your life and your likes and dislike over this issue in which you are not involved. Your from TX right? And I believe that most of the RC companies are based out of CA or have set up distribution there. I am as American as can be. But I dont agree with give the POPO (I HATE WITH ALL MY BLOOD) the right to harass citizens. Its 1955 all over again. If they pull the plug on LA, that would be wrong and irresponsible, what about the US citizens that would effect. Schools and hospitals, nursing homes ect.....Dont care what the issue is, its should not effect the citizens of this country............ sorry for my little rant..

Back on topic, so DOMIT what tires are you gonna run...?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.