R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   VP-PRO Losi flywheel screws (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/399612-vp-pro-losi-flywheel-screws.html)

rotarynut 05-17-2010 08:31 PM

VP-PRO Losi flywheel screws

I was tired of having to cut a slot on the stock Losi screws, so I decided to get 2 sets of the VP-PRO screws(from A Main) for my buggy and truggy, while installing the first set one of the screw heads broke in half, lucky I had the second set to complte the job. Has anybody else run into this problem? have you had any problem getting them replaced by VP-PRO? what other choices are out there to replace the stock screws? thanks for any advise that you could share.

tc5 man 05-17-2010 08:36 PM

get the slot clutch screws from answer usa for the eight, they work real good and wont strip or snap.

pballer2777 05-17-2010 08:37 PM

answer rc makes slotted screws. i've been using them for awhile now and never had a problem.

CaseyP 05-17-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by rotarynut (Post 7419510)
I was tired of having to cut a slot on the stock Losi screws, so I decided to get 2 sets of the VP-PRO screws(from A Main) for my buggy and truggy, while installing the first set one of the screw heads broke in half, lucky I had the second set to complte the job. Has anybody else run into this problem? have you had any problem getting them replaced by VP-PRO? what other choices are out there to replace the stock screws? thanks for any advise that you could share.

I can not comment on the after market screws but make sure you have a good sharp 1/16 wrench and don't use any thread lock. They only need to be just a tiny bit more than hand tight. If you run aluminum shoes you will want to replace them on a regular basis anyway. Take a look at the ones you have at present I'll bet they are worn where the shoe rides. A three shoe clutch wears out the same way on the pins. At least you can change out the pins for little money.

mblgjr 05-17-2010 08:55 PM

I've run the Losi and Answer pins.

Never had any issue with either til this past weekend; but have never stripped or broken any.

My issue was that the threaded section of the Losi pins were too long and went too far through the main support head/threaded section and contacted the hole in the shoes; thus completely LOCKING the clutch up.

This is not overtightening anything; simply "bumping them down" would lock the shoe down (with no spring on it for testing purposes).

I didn't have any more Losi pins, so used some Answers with no problem.

I've never encountered this with Losi pins before, but def. something to look out for with any of them.

rotarynut 05-17-2010 08:55 PM

thanks for the info guys,I'll see how VP handles their products, if they don't stand behind them they will go into the "round file" and I'll try the answer rc screws.:nod:

off road god 05-18-2010 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by CaseyP (Post 7419607)
I can not comment on the after market screws but make sure you have a good sharp 1/16 wrench and don't use any thread lock. They only need to be just a tiny bit more than hand tight. If you run aluminum shoes you will want to replace them on a regular basis anyway. Take a look at the ones you have at present I'll bet they are worn where the shoe rides. A three shoe clutch wears out the same way on the pins. At least you can change out the pins for little money.

This gentleman knows his Losi clutch! Casey,how many people have looked at you like you're a complete idiot when you told em' this bit of knowledge? I caught on after cutting 2 pins out.... Now,no more problems!

tc5 man 05-18-2010 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by off road god (Post 7420297)
This gentleman knows his Losi clutch! Casey,how many people have looked at you like you're a complete idiot when you told em' this bit of knowledge? I caught on after cutting 2 pins out.... Now,no more problems!

he has to say that cause, he runs for losi lol im pretty sure.

off road god 05-18-2010 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 7421122)

Wellllll...good reason!! But,he's telling the truth...don't tighten the pin down.

I drive a losi...I know how to build a losi...how bout some help out here Casey!!!

CJ RC 05-18-2010 07:17 AM

i had this problem with the vp also snap on first nip

071crazy 05-18-2010 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by rotarynut (Post 7419640)
thanks for the info guys,I'll see how VP handles their products, if they don't stand behind them they will go into the "round file" and I'll try the answer rc screws.:nod:

No matter how well you build a losi clutch, from time to time you will need to slot a screw. Not a big deal. But, here are some suggestions to make this process as easy as can be.....

-Like Casey said, use a sharp, new 1/16th hex. This is the most important factor in building losi clutches.

-chamfer the clutch pins slightly. This will make them easier to install and remove.

-pull a medium/large tie strap (only slightly snug) around all 4 clutch shoes/springs before torquing down the pins. This helps to reduce rounding of the hex, and takes away a lot of headache.

-Repeat when removing pins. This will reduce the "set" the pins take while running.

If you do the above, losi clutches are a breeze to maintain.

tc5 man 05-18-2010 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by off road god (Post 7421277)
Wellllll...good reason!! But,he's telling the truth...don't tighten the pin down.

I drive a losi...I know how to build a losi...how bout some help out here Casey!!!

i have eight -1.0 and a eight- t 1.0 , the reason why i striped out the stock losi pins is because i went cheap on the hex tool for it lol, and i dint even overtighten them and push in while i was running.

but i have to answer sloted clutch pins, now and they fit better if you ask me and you really cant strip them out lol.

i know about the chamfering of the pins you can do, but what i do is make sure the clutch shoes are straight down and the clutch spring, is line up with the with the flywheel hole. and than put the clutch screw in get a hex wrech and push in and it snaps into place and than screw it in. i havnt had any problems doing that works good.

CaseyP 05-18-2010 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 7421122)

Trust me if I had more than a few problems with a certain product I would be looking for replacement aftermarket parts as well. I was just simply stating how I do my clutch. I have mine apart at least once a week sometimes more and this is how I do it.

When you wrench as much as I do you have to figure the tricks out. This also helps give feedback to Losi from real experience.

mblgjr.....was this on an Alum or steel flywheel? I have heard of this before but have not seen it my self

mblgjr 05-18-2010 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by CaseyP (Post 7421929)
mblgjr.....was this on an Alum or steel flywheel? I have heard of this before but have not seen it my self

Brand new aluminum flywheel with all-Losi hardware/shoes.

All shoes were bound up; it was a pre-assembled Losi unit and I happened to catch it during assembly and figured it out.

Definitely a pain...hope ya'll can figure out the quality control issue for the pins or flywheel flange thickness variance; not sure which it is; I'd say the pin threads are a touch long and come through binding the shoes.

Frank L 05-18-2010 10:30 AM

I use the stock losi screws and once In awhile I strip a head but Its usually because my tip is worn out or because I didn't have it all the way in the screw. I also always use blue loctite Just a little. I like the losi pins and I always cary spares