Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Clutch Bell Bearing problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Losi Clutch Bell Bearing problems.

I'm going through them like water. 3 qualifers and a 20 minute main and their toast. I have the right amount of CB play. What I take them off after the mains I have way more CB play then when I started. The bearing still spin. I replace the bearing and the extra play is gone.

I assume the extra play is from the bearings going bad?

What could be causing this in such a short amount of time?

About to ditch the losi set up and run an M2C set up, btw these are the TKO specail best cb bearing.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sounds like it could be a gear mesh thing. Make sure you have the right amount of cb/center diff gear mesh spacing and that the motor/cb is sqaured to the driveline. The chassis has some flex in this area and too tight of a gear mesh can overload the clutch bearings.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

have you tried a new c bell.. sometimes the bell can get slop and cause the bearings to go out prematurely
Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Sounds like a mesh or shimming problem. In my 8 a set of our RT bearings lasted for months. Call me at the shop if you like...maybe I can help.

909-256-4064
Old 01-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dski
Sounds like it could be a gear mesh thing. Make sure you have the right amount of cb/center diff gear mesh spacing and that the motor/cb is sqaured to the driveline. The chassis has some flex in this area and too tight of a gear mesh can overload the clutch bearings.
Looked at the mesh and its at a 90 degree angle. How do you tell if the gear mesh is too tight?

Originally Posted by jamminnay
have you tried a new c bell.. sometimes the bell can get slop and cause the bearings to go out prematurely
I have new bell on there the last time.

Originally Posted by Peter Martin
Sounds like a mesh or shimming problem. In my 8 a set of our RT bearings lasted for months. Call me at the shop if you like...maybe I can help.
Will do.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

If you are running the Tko bearings that have a blue seal on one side and a black on the other they are the best you can buy. They outlast anything else 4 times. I've been running the Losi clutch and not having any problems.

Rex
Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 AM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I used to have this same problem.
It was pissing me off. I couldn't even finish a heat.

I found that you need to run a loose mesh, and when I say loose it should clunk
The losi chassis flexes heaps and when it does the mesh jams up and destroys the bearings
Old 01-19-2009, 01:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=l3asher;5310057]Looked at the mesh and its at a 90 degree angle. How do you tell if the gear mesh is too tight?

The Losi Mesh is unlike any other buggy/truggy. Put you finger on the center gear and hold it tight the you should be able to rock the clutch bell back and forth. You would think it's too loose, but thats just right. If the teeth do not click back and forth then it is too tight.

Hope I explained it well enough.

You do NOT use the paper method with the 8ight's That is too tight.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

I too experienced tons of clutchbell bearing failures on my 8ights last year. I was already setting my mesh a tad looser than on other vehicles and it was still happening. I wasn't even getting a 5 minute qualifier out of a set of Avids.

Then I read about all the flex at the engine mount area and where people suggested using a one piece engine mount. Once I added those mounts the bearing issues were a thing of the past.......

I would grab one of these if I were you:

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=5161
Old 01-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Make sure that your motor is sitting perfectly straight. That's why they etched the chassis on the 2.0 to help assist with motor alignment.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Tech Rookie

I dont have such a problem but i used to change the bearings every 4 Litres of running.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattP
I too experienced tons of clutchbell bearing failures on my 8ights last year. I was already setting my mesh a tad looser than on other vehicles and it was still happening. I wasn't even getting a 5 minute qualifier out of a set of Avids.

Then I read about all the flex at the engine mount area and where people suggested using a one piece engine mount. Once I added those mounts the bearing issues were a thing of the past.......

I would grab one of these if I were you:

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=5161
I have the KHZ extended mount.

Originally Posted by cdbias
Make sure that your motor is sitting perfectly straight. That's why they etched the chassis on the 2.0 to help assist with motor alignment.
Looks to be at 90 degrees.

Originally Posted by rcpeople
I dont have such a problem but i used to change the bearings every 4 Litres of running.
I change after ever race day, I just want to be able to make a 30 to 45 minute main and not have to worry about bearings.

I going to try and run a looser gear mesh and see, I have been using the paper trick.

Last edited by l3asher; 01-19-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by l3asher
I have the KHZ extended mount.

Looks to be at 92 degrees.

I change after ever race day, I just want to be able to make a 30 to 45 minute main and not have to worry about bearings.

I going to try and run a looser gear mesh and see, I have been using the paper trick.
Try using the ceramic bearing.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

in extreme cases, clutch shoes can mushroom to the point that they rub on the bearing (because losi uses an oversized bearing). might take a look at that. took me a few rebuilds to figure it out.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

I've heard all of the above advice before, escpecially the ones pointed right at the Losi and loose mesh and chassis flex. The ONLY thing I can think to help you that you need to answer is if you have ever had "good luck" with bearings in that car and how you started with it pertaining to the engine.
Like new engine, new car, no problems at first - now problems. Info like that. Because if it's nothing else check your engine bearings. If they are getting older no matter what kind of engine (past the 1-3 gallon mark) they can have enough slop to blow out CB bearings even as quickly as two tanks. If you continue to chase this for awhile it may become more and more often than you are experiencing now. Hope you find the problem soon!
Becuase if it IS an engine bearing and you don't figure it out soon you may blow an engine bearing up!
Give the guy a call that was going to help you over the phone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.