Community
Wiki Posts
Search

engine help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 AM
Tech Addict

Default engine help

at my local track on the straight away buggys just burn me and on this huge jump on a turn people have amazing acceleration soo wat wou;d be a good engine and pipe

thanx
Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

ive read nothing but good things about the Werks B5. thats going to be my next engine. it has awesome runtime too. its $199.99. another good engine would be the jammin jpx.21. it has ttoooonnnns of power and lots of top end. as much as any other engine out there. but its not that good on runtime. it drinks fuel. its $220 or $230
hope this helps
Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

a jammin JPX 21 with a JP3 pipe and you will never look back. it is the best engine i have ever used. and it will absolutely scream. i run it in both buggy and truggy. it has great acceleration and top speed. its very easy to tune also. i am getting a little over 8 min a tank in my buggy also. great cheap engine. i only run 20% because i just have bought the shims for 30% yet but i would even hate to see how fast it will go with 30%. if you run 30% without the shim it wont last much longer than 2 gallons but if you run 20% it will last well over 8-10 gallons.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

I'll stick with my OS Vpec.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Jumps in a turn....

The best engine for torque to clear those jumps coming out of a turn is the Novarossi P5xl. It may not have the top end of the v spec, but it tops out fast and won't bog at all coming onto the straight. If you gear up one tooth on the clutch bell and run 1.0 springs with carbon shoes you will get the most out of it and it will handle the taller gearing no sweat. It will soften the bottom end just a bit and gives tons of traction in all conditions. Sometimes the alluminum shoes tend to spin the wheels going up the jump and can cause problems with heat breaking down the clutch springs causing slower accleration during long mains. I use a 9853 mid range superstrong nova pipe with a short round Dynamite header, they're cheaper than the nova headers, and work great too. It locks on to the engine side gasket so well it's hard to remove it, that's good, it prevents leaks and tearing from movement. Total price
260 p5xl engine
65 9853 ss pipe
17 dynamite header
12 Mugen carbon clutch shoes
4 kyosho 1.0 clutch springs, unless you have a mugen use mugen 1.0 springs
That's 350 bucks for a complete setup, while the v spec is 300 or 500 for the speed v spec and the os pipe set is like 160 that's 460 dollars or 660 dollars, completely ridiculous for racing buggies. I can understand it for on road, but for a buggy that more than some kits....Don't waste your money on expensive stuff. I like the os engines but they get like 5 gallons and then it's rebuild time, you will get 10 gallons through a Nova p5 and it will still hold a tune and be a good practice motor. JMO guys after years of racing. But one good thing about os engines is they break in easy for a big race and are high quality engines. Who knows maybe I should try a vspec, they are popular engines, and have been around forever. I just feel that you asked about clearing jumps and the p5 will do that at half throttle from a dead stop. I only recommend stuff that I've run and know will work great and last forever.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by merdith6
The best engine for torque to clear those jumps coming out of a turn is the Novarossi P5xl. It may not have the top end of the v spec, but it tops out fast and won't bog at all coming onto the straight. If you gear up one tooth on the clutch bell and run 1.0 springs with carbon shoes you will get the most out of it and it will handle the taller gearing no sweat. It will soften the bottom end just a bit and gives tons of traction in all conditions. Sometimes the alluminum shoes tend to spin the wheels going up the jump and can cause problems with heat breaking down the clutch springs causing slower accleration during long mains. I use a 9853 mid range superstrong nova pipe with a short round Dynamite header, they're cheaper than the nova headers, and work great too. It locks on to the engine side gasket so well it's hard to remove it, that's good, it prevents leaks and tearing from movement. Total price
260 p5xl engine
65 9853 ss pipe
17 dynamite header
12 Mugen carbon clutch shoes
4 kyosho 1.0 clutch springs, unless you have a mugen use mugen 1.0 springs
That's 350 bucks for a complete setup, while the v spec is 300 or 500 for the speed v spec and the os pipe set is like 160 that's 460 dollars or 660 dollars, completely ridiculous for racing buggies. I can understand it for on road, but for a buggy that more than some kits....Don't waste your money on expensive stuff. I like the os engines but they get like 5 gallons and then it's rebuild time, you will get 10 gallons through a Nova p5 and it will still hold a tune and be a good practice motor. JMO guys after years of racing. But one good thing about os engines is they break in easy for a big race and are high quality engines. Who knows maybe I should try a vspec, they are popular engines, and have been around forever. I just feel that you asked about clearing jumps and the p5 will do that at half throttle from a dead stop. I only recommend stuff that I've run and know will work great and last forever.

how about the odonnell .21 sport
Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by slasher man
im hearing good things about it there is a forum, on here for that engine in the nitro offroad section.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I like Odonnell

Great products, but I haven't herd much about them other than they are reliable engines and haven't tuned one or driven one yet. good pic though. I do know it has excellent quality, and a great price. Love the black case and the odonnell cooling head. I run a blue odonnell head on my p5 with the stock head button and it keeps it cool. They are only 30 bucks....Great deal....The werks b5 has gotten great reviews too, they take a while to warm up and that's not really a bad thing, just remember to tune it after a tank of fuel...
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Before dropping any money on an engine, check your clutch shoes.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
I'll stick with my OS Vpec.
V Spec set up right is great get the pro mod version and the os pipe and you will blow the doors off them and the standard vspec is great but the pro mod had the ceramic bearings which i am puttin in my stock v spec after a couple gallons before it fails as the bearings is the weak spot. If your gonna race i reccomend it not saying that there isnt other good motors but i have had great luck with os motors
Old 01-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MontanaMaxx
V Spec set up right is great get the pro mod version and the os pipe and you will blow the doors off them and the standard vspec is great but the pro mod had the ceramic bearings which i am puttin in my stock v spec after a couple gallons before it fails as the bearings is the weak spot. If your gonna race i reccomend it not saying that there isnt other good motors but i have had great luck with os motors
i heard great things about thoes engines but i dont have enough money
Old 05-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

the werks b5 is a awesome engine +1
Old 05-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (96%+)

I've got the Jammin' JPX 21 and I love it. I had mine modded and I get a little over 8 minutes runtime with it. I pit at 8 and still have enough to not flameout. I can pull OS Speeds and the new Losi Nitrotec from bottom to top with it.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcREALITY
the werks b5 is a awesome engine +1
+1 B5 all the way
Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by slasher man
Best indoor motor you can buy. I was getting 10-12 minutes and was blowing by everyone running at 180. Once we went outdoor, it was running 220, getting about 6 minutes on a tank and I was getting smoked. I wasn't the only one getting these results. It was doing the same thing on 3 separate motors. I switched back to my GRP and haven't had a problem.