Wiki Posts
Search

want to know what to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default want to know what to buy??

please delete this thread, sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by millzee; 02-08-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Maintenance is a part of RC, like it or not. That said, Mugen or XRay, hands down IMO. I drove the MBX6 last summer. The initial build was stellar. The durability second to none. I just felt it didn't fit how I like to drive. So this year, I'm gonna run the Hot Bodies D8/D8T. I've run the T for a few months now, and aside from basic maintenance, it has been rock solid and an absolute blast to drive. I'll be running the bug for the first time this w/end.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by millzee
Looking to buy a good low maintenance buggy with lots of power and reliability. Just had a very bad experience with an ansmann vapor, got the engine onto it's 6th tank of fuel after following all the break-in process and when giving it up to three quarter throttle the front diff and clutch have failed. so Im looking to upgrade to a real car not a toy! What do you suggest? I will spend up to $1000 and have already spent $420 on charger, servo batteries and other accessories to suit the vapor so I'd like to be able get some use out of them. Please offer a newby some help in order for me to get into this hobby.
Thanks.
The absolute easiest, least expensive way in to 1/8 scale is the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR. It is about $700 online... you still need some batteries, charger, tools, and you really need to move the steering servo to throttle and buy a GOOD steering servo... but nothing else is as complete.

That being said... I would personally prefer a Mugen or Xray, although you can't buy them as "ready to run." You have to source things separately.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

buy a Jammin. I drive an OFNA Ultra LX which is a waterd down version of the X1-CR and its awesome. You might just need a different radio if you buy the RTR. my buddy uses a Spectrum DX3S and it never fails, plus that way you dont need to buy a temp gun and you know your RPMs
Old 04-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
The absolute easiest, least expensive way in to 1/8 scale is the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR. It is about $700 online... you still need some batteries, charger, tools, and you really need to move the steering servo to throttle and buy a GOOD steering servo... but nothing else is as complete.

That being said... I would personally prefer a Mugen or Xray, although you can't buy them as "ready to run." You have to source things separately.
I agree 100%

Ofna stands for Oh F*ck Not Again !!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

if want a full race ready top end buggy andyou dont mind buying used look for a used complete setup alot of people sellinghtem right now due to economy
also if you already have radio and servos then just buy a roller and a new motor and you will be ready to go losi 2.0 or mugen would be good choice parts are easy to find and both are easy to work on xray is very good car but when it does break parts are expensive.
might want to look into a sh z-car they are competative buggy and bullet proof as it gets and cheap and parts are cheaper or the hot bodies is cheap but not so bullet proof
good luck also if racing it at a track might want to see what guys at track run or what local hobby shop carries
Old 04-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Ofna stands for Oh F*ck Not Again !!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default thanks for all the tips

d

Last edited by millzee; 02-08-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i bought a x1-cr 2nd hand off a member and it has been an awesome car. parts are cheap and easilly available. however this car is suppose to be getting quite old now.

like others have said. the Losi 8ight 2.0 might be another option (i have also just purchased a 2nd hand one of these).

if you purchase any of the above cars people have mentioned you are going to get quality and a well maintained 2nd hand car shouldn't cost you any more money to fix and repair than something bought new.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

If you plan to race go to your track and see what others are racing , see what the hobby shop has support for . You will want something that is popular at the track so you can get setup help and parts support . Any top brand buggy will be great .
Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

right now stormer hobbies has the hot bodies D8T with a free Losi Starter box ($80 value) for 329.99 or something like that. I'm thinking about getting one, but do any of you guys know if there's a good engine/pipe combo out there that will work for my first 1/8 truggy?

It's between that or the losi 8T rtr
Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike881
right now stormer hobbies has the hot bodies D8T with a free Losi Starter box ($80 value) for 329.99 or something like that. I'm thinking about getting one, but do any of you guys know if there's a good engine/pipe combo out there that will work for my first 1/8 truggy?

i have the D8T and the green head alpha and the 0801 alpha pipe are the perfect combo for that truggy!! it has an amazing power plant.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 AM
ftf
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mike881

Werks b5 with 2013 pipe.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Since you already have the accessories battery servos etc. I would go for one of the following not in any paticular order. Losi 2.0, mugen mbx6, or a hot bodies d8. Any of those will always be very competitive. Just don't forget the tires.