R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   HB D8 new build questions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/394602-hb-d8-new-build-questions.html)

sjracing 05-02-2010 07:37 AM

HB D8 new build questions

I will start off by saying that I am new to nitro. I am going to build a 1/8 HB D8 buggy. Have decided on the Werks motor...
1) What servos are a good for this buggy? Nice middle of the road, expense wise, that will last..
2) What do you do to waterproof them?
3) What is a good starter box to get?
4) My radio DX3.0 does not have telemetry..Can I just use a handheld to measure temps?
5) Anything else I should know/buy before I start the project?
Thanks all in advance..

blktransam 05-02-2010 07:57 AM

I see u are new to the site welcome. also welcome to the HB family. great buggy. everyone will have diff. opinions on whats good and whats not. I like futaba servos. I run the bls351,bls451,and s9351...them are what I have in all my vehicles.

starter box go with the ofna BLUE truggy starter box

the dx3.0 will work just fine. and yes u can use a handheld temp gun no problem (not many people use the telemtry stuff anyhow) but DO NOT tune your engine by temp alone use smoke and sound as main refrence. check out some videos on tuning and read about it if this is your first time "tuning"

good luck and check out the HOT BODIES D8 thread

Ryan

sjracing 05-02-2010 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by blktransam (Post 7348602)
I see u are new to the site welcome. also welcome to the HB family. great buggy. everyone will have diff. opinions on whats good and whats not. I like futaba servos. I run the bls351,bls451,and s9351...them are what I have in all my vehicles.

starter box go with the ofna BLUE truggy starter box

the dx3.0 will work just fine. and yes u can use a handheld temp gun no problem (not many people use the telemtry stuff anyhow) but DO NOT tune your engine by temp alone use smoke and sound as main refrence. check out some videos on tuning and read about it if this is your first time "tuning"

good luck and check out the HOT BODIES D8 thread

Ryan

Thanks Ryan....How do you waterproof the servos or do you? I am assuming the D8 comes with a waterproof box for the receiver...

one8updragracer 05-02-2010 09:53 AM

I think Hitec has some new waterproof servos but they are probably high on the $$$ side of things.

Are you wanting to drive thru water? Planning to race or bash?

The D8 box is not waterproof, hole on bottom and no o-ring around lid. But unless your running thru some serioius soup it shouldn't get any dirt inside.

fatdaddy 05-02-2010 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by sjracing (Post 7348534)
I will start off by saying that I am new to nitro. I am going to build a 1/8 HB D8 buggy. Have decided on the Werks motor...
1) What servos are a good for this buggy? Nice middle of the road, expense wise, that will last..
2) What do you do to waterproof them?
3) What is a good starter box to get?
4) My radio DX3.0 does not have telemetry..Can I just use a handheld to measure temps?
5) Anything else I should know/buy before I start the project?
Thanks all in advance..

welcome to the D8 ARMY!! :D

check out the offical D8 thread here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ies-buggy.html

1) i always reccomend Hitec. good one on a budget is the 5955. same specs as the 7955, but its not digital which isint a big deal.
2) as they come they are water "resistant" because they are sealed with o-rings, but if you are running through puddles you can seal the servo with shoe-goo or silicone caulk
3) Ofna blue truggy box. with a lipo its unstopable
4) great radio. get you a hand help temp and youll be fine
5) youll probably want to look into a hot bodies aluminum servo arm for whatever servo you get.

other than that, enjoy the car. come to the d8 thread if you need any help :D

Miniracer23 05-02-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by fatdaddy (Post 7348997)
welcome to the D8 ARMY!! :D

1) i always reccomend Hitec. good one on a budget is the 5955. same specs as the 7955, but its not digital which isint a big deal.

Actually, the 5955 is digital, but still the best bet for you. You're better off forking over the $120-140, instead of buying cheaper servos a couple of times. In the end you'll end up buying the good ones anyway.

rawolfee 05-02-2010 12:27 PM

I have two Hitec 985 servos in my D8. They run ab out $70-80 a piece. I have even used a 645 in a pinch before for throttle and it worked fine (a little slow though).

I have raced in some pretty sloppy conditions before and have never ran into a problem.

I agree that the Ofna blue truggy box is the best out there.

Most guys use a handheld for temps. Just make sure you calibrate it. I also agree that tuning to temp is not the right thing to do. Smoke and sound are the way to go and just use the temp to verify you're not running too hot or cool.

+1 on the aluminum servo horn.