Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Which 1/8 buggy for my budget/experience level? >

Which 1/8 buggy for my budget/experience level?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which 1/8 buggy for my budget/experience level?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Which 1/8 buggy for my budget/experience level?

Hi there

I'm soon to purchase a 1/8 scale nitro buggy. This will be the second buggy I've owned - the first was a Kyosho Inferno MP7.5 Sports 2 Readyset.

This time round I want to build a kitset. It will be my first attempt at a kit. I'm not planning to race competitively, just have fun i.e bashing.

With a budget of up to $450 USD what mid range kits would you recommend and not recommend for someone who wants to learn how to build a kit and take the hobby to the slightly higher next level?

Thanks for any help,

Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

id get the hot bodies d8 it is very cheep but one of the best buggies out and is the current world champion buggy and it is pretty easy to build i just got one today and started building it the manual shows exactly where everything goes.and has full size diagrams for screws so there is no worry of putting a screw that is to long and ruining something like a diff case. you wont be sorry if you buy this buggy.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

D8 all the way! i used to not be a fan of the HB at all then i bought one to try and man im glad i did! they are awesome and handle better than anything i have driven, i like it better than Mugen and alot better over losi IMO. i think mugen and HB are very close but the HB is a little easier to drive and im way consistent with the HB. my fastest lap is about a second faster than my average, and i have only race the HB once. i ran a others and my fastest lap was over 2-3 seconds faster than my average. also my laptimes have gone down over a second. my old fastest laps are now my average lap. and the build is really easy minus the shocks, they were the only thing that gave me problems. also the one piece engine mount might need to be grinded down a little in the front depending on the engine, i know picco based engines will need alot a grinding.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

+1 on the D8
Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay thanks will look into the Hot Bodies buggy further. Is it the same company as HPI? Are parts pretty easy to come by?

I'm also tempted by a combo deal on a Hyper 9 kit that includes a .28 engine and receiver. Are the Hyper 9's generally regarded as good buggies?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:30 AM
Tech Addict

I wouldnt get one with a .28
Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris_akl
Okay thanks will look into the Hot Bodies buggy further. Is it the same company as HPI? Are parts pretty easy to come by?

I'm also tempted by a combo deal on a Hyper 9 kit that includes a .28 engine and receiver. Are the Hyper 9's generally regarded as good buggies?
Hotbodies is a sub division of HPI, you could call it HPI's Race bread vehicles.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

D8 man, get a D8.

Last edited by Who8mySandwich; 04-29-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

yep
Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Well, if you want to be competitive on the track, at least look at the Caster Racing ZX1.5R.

But look into parts availability, whether you want to deal with mail order, what your LHS carries, if ou have a LHS, etc.... as a basis for your decision.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

D8 is my next kit, you just gotta love the price!! But I gotta wait till my RC8 is shot, I have been with Associated since 1986 but the price warrants the switch in this economy.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris_akl
28 in a buggy is not legal by the way and the hyper 9 are a little bit behind IMO. they do well but the durability isnt there like the jammin and other hypers. i dont know why but everyone i have seen that has/had a hyper 9 always broke and ended up selling it, most went to D8 or Losi.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Id go with a JamminŽ. ive driven a Losi and a D8 and i prefered by buddies Jammin. I own an OFNA Ultra LX One thats basicaly a X1-CR, and ive only broken the pullstart but that was because it was filled with dirt. Jammins are great and not so expensive
Old 04-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default In that price range

I'd get a team associated rc-8 over a losi, a hotbodies or jammin.. Now the mugen is nice but a little more money, and the xray is the best but is expensive, but in the long run it will outlast most other brands and save money, but I would get the associated to stay in budget.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by merdith6
I'd get a team associated rc-8 over a losi, a hotbodies or jammin.. Now the mugen is nice but a little more money, and the xray is the best but is expensive, but in the long run it will outlast most other brands and save money, but I would get the associated to stay in budget.
News flash: Xray is not the best, its the most expensive!!!! It might have the best parts fit and quality, however once you need a part... and you can't find parts in the local shop unless you live in Europe! they have a new kit out.

Last edited by RC-ZOMBIE; 04-29-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.