Wiki Posts
Search

clutch set-up help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? clutch set-up help

Hello rc world, i have heard a few people say the run 2 nylon shoes and one aluminum shoe as a clutch set-up, i am wondering what effect this creates and wouldn't this be hard on clutch bearings or be out of balance. I was wondering if someone could give me a few examples on set-up and how they effect the vehicle. What is a good set-up for loose dusty conditions and high grip tacky or clay surface. Thanks in advance...
Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm using a Fioroni 3shoe clutch and run 2 aluminum and 1 carbon - the advantage of using this clutch system is the ability to adjust the spring tension. So for loose dusty tracks - I can turn the cam and lighten the springs to bite at lower RPM's and on high bite tracks - I can tighten the springs to get more punch and torque. I'm running a Hot Bodies 2 Pro Evo.

Using a regular 3shoe system - you need a couple sets of springs like 1.0mm for loose tracks and 1.1mm for high bite tracks.

Tires play a huge roll in traction for either condition. You may wind up using the 1.1mm for both conditions and just change tires.

It really depends on your driving style and your tire traction. But, if you have the springs and then time you could really dial in your clutch.

As far as balance - the difference in the shoe weight is not enough to worry about / unless you are mix matching shoes brands. Like 2 answer rc shoes and one stock Losi or Ofna .. you could weigh your shoes and see if they are really out of balance - I've yet to really get a set that was out of balance and honestly when you start to wear them down and shave / clean them - the weight will change some but not enough to cause any damage to your engine. Unless they are really out of balance and or heavy.

With two carbon and one aluminum you will have a soft bite and more slip until the mid to high end range of your engine.

With two aluminum and one carbon you will get more bite and less slip from low to mid and the carbon shoe will help clean off any aluminum left from the shoes.

Hope this helps -