Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Buggy beadlocks? >

Buggy beadlocks?

Buggy beadlocks?

Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default Buggy beadlocks?

Does any company make beadlock wheels for nitro buggies? It would be a good idea since tires wear out faster than wheels and some foams
Old 04-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

there are many things you can do to remove a tire from a wheel. try running a thread search. there will be plenty of posts which should help you.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rc_in_mexico
Does any company make beadlock wheels for nitro buggies? It would be a good idea since tires wear out faster than wheels and some foams
I searched for these for years because I thought the same thing. Never did find any. I have a lathe so I thought about making my own but never had the time. I contacted one of the companies that make monster truck beadlocks and they said they were working on some for buggies but they never made any. Now that I am not just playing around with my car at home and am racing and understand racing, I personally believe that they would be too heavy anyway and just don't make sense. I think that for bashing they would be awesome but buggy market is focused mainly on racing don't you think?
I've tried a couple of the methods of removing the tires and they didn't work very good. Read through them yourself and try the most popular - I never tried acetone and this sounds like the easiest to try. This not for changing tires often though. Just to be cheap and save wheels for next year or if you bought the wrong tires or glued them on wrong.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Beadlocks for 1/8th = WAY heavy. I like the idea too, just wish it could be done light enough.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
Beadlocks for 1/8th = WAY heavy. I like the idea too, just wish it could be done light enough.
Yup, me too. I dont see it happening with the stresses we put on them though. Every beadlock I have seen on a MT couldn't hold the beads in.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

they would be too heavy but for amateur racing most guys race to have fun. i think they should be available. if anybody has made them, tell me how or sell me a set
Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

I guess what I am saying is they probably wont work because of the loads 1/8th scale vehicles put on them.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i do recall many years back like 20years, when kyosho came out with the turbo inferno, they actually had a 2 piece rim that held the tire in place, didnt seem to heavy then, well maybe not bc i was younger and stronger, but was a smart thing, and i dont see why not make them again, motors are way more powerful now then back then, so i cant see a little more weight causin and issue
Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

first of all to many things can go wrong, the screws can back out ect... They would have to be heavy enough to hold the tire in place at lease for 45 minutes. You will use more fuel, more clutch shoes and bearings, you will need to replace parts cause it will cause more wear, you will be replacing diffs more, all in all its not a good idea, I just boil my tires off and sand and reuse wheels.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why is that every thread turns into a bash fest these days. The guy just wants to know if someone makes them. He didnt ask if you thought they were practical or not. Yes they would be heavier than a regular buggy rim but to say that you would use more, fuel clutch, and clutchs is just wrong. Do truggys do all of that, that much more than a buggy? No. and they have the jsut about the same drive train as their buggy couterparts.

JMHO
Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by killabud
Why is that every thread turns into a bash fest these days. The guy just wants to know if someone makes them. He didnt ask if you thought they were practical or not. Yes they would be heavier than a regular buggy rim but to say that you would use more, fuel clutch, and clutchs is just wrong. Do truggys do all of that, that much more than a buggy? No. and they have the jsut about the same drive train as their buggy couterparts.

JMHO
my truggy takes WAY more wear than my buggy. clutch, dogbones, and fuel. truggies are heavier and weight takes more of a toll on parts. When I put in 125cc of fuel in both using the same engine, similar clutch, I get longer run time out of my buggy than my truggy..... THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. I can show you pics of dog bones of my buggy and truggy, both have been raced the exact same amount of time. My truggy is way more beat up. Why do you think the new proline wheels are so popular, one BIG aspect is they are lighter, less rotating mass equal less wear on the drive-train, that just science. So in short, we/I am trying to save him money in the long run.... Thats why I said to just reuse the wheel.

If I come one here and ask for something the was not beneficial to running, I hope people here tell me that what I want is junk and why.... All RC Products are not good products for racing. We all have been down the road of buying something that we thought was the next greatest thing and turns out to be a pain and not worth it....No one is bashing anyone right now. But the fact of the matter is that in RACING beadlocks are not the greatest thing, and that why NO ONE uses them for racing.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

i think your both right. its good for positive and negative comments, but you should stay on topic. i like beadlocks because of their looks. if boiling the tire off the rim works, ill probably do that. but doesnt it destroy t he foams? im thinking of putting AKA foams in my tires and hear that they outlast most tires. i wouldnt want to spend $20+ dollars for one use
Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default SC8 wheels for Buggy

I ordered a set of Associated 89420 Black SC8 KMC Wheels/Tires for my 1/8 nitro buggy, has anyone else tried this? Too bad they're fake. I'll update how I like them and with pics when they get here.

Last edited by drpower; 12-09-2011 at 10:34 AM.