Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carbon fiber chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Integra
Fortunately that is Incorrect...chassis flex is part of the game and there's no 2 ways about it.
Having some setup lessons from a real racecar engineer I know in real racing they want to have a maximum stiff chassis so they have all the control on the suspension. Flex is a non-control setup item.
That we like to run with flex is only that our dampers are to much primitive
Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Having some setup lessons from a real racecar engineer I know in real racing they want to have a maximum stiff chassis so they have all the control on the suspension. Flex is a non-control setup item.
That we like to run with flex is only that our dampers are to much primitive

Ill agree but this isn't 1:1 Full size racing were talking about....so really its a moot point.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you need everything you can get to tune your car at this scale. Jumping with 1/8th scale the way we do is equivilent to a real car jumping about 200 feet high
Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ill agree but this isn't 1:1 Full size racing were talking about....so really its a moot point.
Right. And since we have to work within the limitations of our R/C cars/shocks, etc, flexing chassis offer a better overall result. Of course, a flexible chassis does have its downsides, like flex leading to excess stress on clutch bearings and chipped spur teeth, but that could also just be my driving
Old 04-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Point is not Moot!! ...Roelof is corect in his statment,
about the very crude damping that is being used
with the rc cars. suspension is the back bone of
all vehical dynamics. Well said Roelof I agree It would
be neat to see some high tec (and Light) Shock systems
for our Cars/Trucks.
Something Like 1/8 scale version of the Fox Offroad Pro systems.
foxracing..com
Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCRICHCA
Point is not Moot!! ...Roelof is corect in his statment,
about the very crude damping that is being used
with the rc cars. suspension is the back bone of
all vehical dynamics. Well said Roelof I agree It would
be neat to see some high tec (and Light) Shock systems
for our Cars/Trucks.
Something Like 1/8 scale version of the Fox Offroad Pro systems.
foxracing..com
I'm with Integra one this one, it is a moot point. Although 8th scale shocks may seem crude there isn't a need for anything better because the shocks have been working just fine for all the top dog's in 8th scale racing, if they can win with them, as "crude" as they are, then I should be able to win with them.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RCRICHCA
Point is not Moot!!
it is when comparing 1:1 Vs 1:8 RC's.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Slider30250
Although 8th scale shocks may seem crude there isn't a need for anything better because the shocks have been working just fine for all the top dog's in 8th scale racing, if they can win with them, as "crude" as they are, then I should be able to win with them.
But what if an avarage racer comes up with good working shocks and wipe away all top dog's?
I know the 1/5 scale cars do have more advanced shocks so a step to 1/8 scale shocks is not that huge.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

But what if an avarage racer comes up with good working shocks and wipe away all top dog's?
I know the 1/5 scale cars do have more advanced shocks so a step to 1/8 scale shocks is not that huge.
No shock is ever going to make up for average driving, if an average driver with a set of super duper advanced shocks went to a national level event they would still only make the D or E main if they were lucky. Remember, the shocks don't keep you in the groove, you do.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

No shock is ever going to make up for average driving, if an average driver with a set of super duper advanced shocks went to a national level event they would still only make the D or E main if they were lucky. Remember, the shocks don't keep you in the groove, you do.
So that's my problem. I'm just an average driver. That's where I was at the nitro challenge d main.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Lord

Remember, the shocks don't keep you in the groove, you do.
Not compleetly true.....
Yes, finally the driver/mechanic is responsable for the setup but there is also the "sweet point" in the setup to find and some drivers just can not find it for their feeling.
Making the car much easier to drive with other (home made?) parts will give automaticly better laptimes and there could be a possibillity that this person can outperform the better drivers.

It is easy to say nothing can be improved to a car and homemade stuff will not work better than original parts (I hear it all the time) but arround the world there are enough inventive RC drivers to find trying to get more out of it. So, if someone can create shocks as the real thing it is not predictable what the improvement will be.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Not compleetly true.....
Yes, finally the driver/mechanic is responsable for the setup but there is also the "sweet point" in the setup to find and some drivers just can not find it for their feeling.
Making the car much easier to drive with other (home made?) parts will give automaticly better laptimes and there could be a possibillity that this person can outperform the better drivers.

It is easy to say nothing can be improved to a car and homemade stuff will not work better than original parts (I hear it all the time) but arround the world there are enough inventive RC drivers to find trying to get more out of it. So, if someone can create shocks as the real thing it is not predictable what the improvement will be.
I would imagine that a really advanced set of shocks might, and I stress might, improve your lap times. The point I was trying to make is that driver skill is the most important thing to have. Learn how to drive your 8th scale to 10/10ths of what is possible and you will be a better driver than if you rely on high tech equipment to get the job done. Any part can fail, even a really cool set of shocks but you can always fall back on driver ability to win the race for you.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default Carbon Fiber Chassis

I believe cost is the major driver in 1/8 scale chassis design. FRP composite materials are much more expensive and have lower cycle times. The bean counters hate low cycle times and the additional labor costs that go with it.

Flex is and important tuning feature in off road design. On road racing is a different animal. I know that flex is engineered into motocross chassis design. When Honda first came out with their aluminum box chassis designs, the riders hated it because they were too stiff. It made the bikes too harsh to ride and too twitchy in the turns.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ding ding

Originally Posted by Jamminguy18
Doesnt on the amluminum stock chassis help with disperseing the heat off the chassis carbon fiber will not get the heat out. Just wondering?
You are absolutely correct. The main reason to use alluminum is for heat dissapation, and it's cost effective and bounces back for more...and the holes where the screws go provide a solid base....
Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by merdith6
You are absolutely correct. The main reason to use alluminum is for heat dissapation, and it's cost effective and bounces back for more...and the holes where the screws go provide a solid base....

There are many reason's for the Big Mfg's to use aluminum for their chassis and heat dissipation is Not one of them....cost yes....reliability no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.