R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   SP2 Big Bore Shock Upgrade (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/391762-sp2-big-bore-shock-upgrade.html)

sdmlsu1 04-22-2010 12:27 PM

SP2 Big Bore Shock Upgrade

Anyone know if the MP9 shocks will fit on the SP2?

Racecrafter 04-22-2010 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by sdmlsu1 (Post 7306469)
Anyone know if the MP9 shocks will fit on the SP2?

Yes.

A few things however;

You will need the upper shock mounts for the towers...

The lower spring cup will drag on the standard weight drive shafts in front (they just barely hit the lightweight units)

The newer "short" rear shocks from the newer MP9 will decrease rear travel, so you will need the original length rear shocks (or STRR rears) for them to work properly.

If you really want your 777 to be an animal, you will also need to change out the rear end to the 7.5 rear arms, shock tower and suspension blocks :nod:

Super planted, great through the bumps and handles awesome! :D

sdmlsu1 04-22-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Racecrafter (Post 7306498)
Yes.

A few things however;

The lower spring cup will drag on the standard weight drive shafts in front (they just barely hit the lightweight units)

The newer "short" rear shocks from the newer MP9 will decrease rear travel, so you will need the original length rear shocks (or STRR rears) for them to work properly.

If you really want your 777 to be an animal, you will also need to change out the rear end to the 7.5 rear arms, shock tower and suspension blocks :nod:

I'm assuming your talking about the 61mm for the rear rather than the M-Size 55mm, am I correct?

Racecrafter 04-22-2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by sdmlsu1 (Post 7306511)
I'm assuming your talking about the 61mm for the rear rather than the M-Size 55mm, am I correct?

No, the 66mm and not the 61mm. 53mm is the front buggy shocks

I'm unsure exactly of what the "Red Army" is running on the rear of the MP9 for length now, but when they switched over to the shorter rear shocks they originally went to the STRR front which is 61mm.

For your 777, go with 53 (IF349) & 66mm (IF346) lengths. :)

Note; Those part numbers are for the original non-velvet coated bodys.

sdmlsu1 04-22-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Racecrafter (Post 7306549)
No, the 66mm and not the 61mm. 53mm is the front buggy shocks

I'm unsure exactly of what the "Red Army" is running on the rear of the MP9 for length now, but when they switched over to the shorter rear shocks they originally went to the STRR front which is 61mm.

For your 777, go with 53 & 66mm lengths. :)

Thanks

pntmachine 04-22-2010 01:52 PM

I run the standard Big Bores on the SP2 and the standard driveshafts. I did change the shock mounts to the RR mounts. The 61's are the STRR fronts so he is right the 66 being what you need in the rear. The M2C rear toe block setup is whats up on the RR and the SP2. Awesome!

Dyno-Dylan 04-22-2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Racecrafter (Post 7306498)
Yes.

A few things however;

Is the 7.5 rear end narrower or wider than 777? Also what is different with the shock tower?

Thanks

jnc011994 04-22-2010 06:01 PM

My Inferno 7.5 with Big Bore Shocks

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dyno-Dylan (Post 7306947)
Is the 7.5 rear end narrower or wider than 777? Also what is different with the shock tower?

Thanks

Hi guys,

just want to share my inferno 7.5 with Nanda Big Bore shocks. It does "touch" the outdrives a bit. I'll be getting the lightweight outdrives for the MP9. Nanda's big bore are way much cheaper.

sdmlsu1 04-22-2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by pntmachine (Post 7306770)
I run the standard Big Bores on the SP2 and the standard driveshafts. I did change the shock mounts to the RR mounts. The 61's are the STRR fronts so he is right the 66 being what you need in the rear. The M2C rear toe block setup is whats up on the RR and the SP2. Awesome!

What does the M2C blocks change as for as set up over say the KHZ blocks which I use now?

pntmachine 04-23-2010 04:44 AM

Frees up the movement of the arms and eliminates binding on toe in. Also simplifies toe changes. The hinge pins have a taper and ball end that are captured like the RC8 and MP9. In fact you can use the cups from the RC8 for replacement. It also allows for 1 to 5 degrees of toe in 1/2 degree incriments if needed with the same block set.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC00393.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC00392.jpg

Racecrafter 04-23-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dyno-Dylan (Post 7306947)

Thanks

The pivot points on the 7.5 are wider. Over all its the same width.

The shock tower has the correct geometry for the camber links. If I remember right the shock placement has one hole further out than the 777 as well.

Neep 04-23-2010 10:16 AM

Hiya guys i hope you dont mind me adding some input even tho i really am a noob rc'er :)

Ive got 7.5 arms on my 777 using the 777 toe blocks, and by measuring 7.5 vs 777 toe blocks the 777 pivot points are approx. 2.5mm narrower. The overall rear width running 3 degree toe in is 305mm using pro-line v2 premounts. (not sure if different brands may change overall width)

ok now for a noob question, is it really worth having 50 bazillion suspension adjustment points? I mean when would anyone run 5 degree rear toe in what some toe blocks offer?

Oh and ok i know you were asking about running kyosho shocks, but if your not a one brand person maybe have a look at the hyper 9 big bores (no surprise that they are a lot cheaper than kyosho and equal in quality inmo)

pntmachine 04-23-2010 02:11 PM

I am not saying its a plus to have a 5 degree toe its just achievable with the different pin bushings. I run 2.5 degree on the Sp2 and 3 on the RR. Its just alot smoother movement in the arms running The floating hinge pins with aggressive toe in and is alot more predictable and planted. I have also been running the STRR silver front plate as well on the buggy. The rest is all Fioroni. I have no problems with the Kyosho Big Bores and they can be found on Ebay pretty reasonable unless you are in need of a threaded shock body. I still run the stock driveshafts and not sure I will spend the money for the lighter shafts.

Neep 04-23-2010 03:41 PM

Pntmachine, i checked out the m2c toe plates and its pretty cool :) and yups i would of went for kyosho big bores if i could have mainly because of the big range of springs to suit and info on setups. But i do like the threaded adjuster on the ofna/hobao big bores.

sdmlsu1 04-23-2010 05:55 PM

I went ahead and bought a set velvet body big bores, I already have a new set of 53mm shafts to swap out on the fronts.