Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
LIPO or NIMH???????? >

LIPO or NIMH????????

LIPO or NIMH????????

Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LIPO or NIMH????????

I'm in the market for a new battery set up. I need to know what is the cheapest charger and battery for Lipo and Nimh. I also would like to know what how many mah is enough to power my truggy? Should I be lookin for 2s batteries? I have an adjustable regulator from a failed attempt at using lipo about 2yrs ago. Thanks for your replies.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do whatever you can to go Lipo. It's so worthwhile. I have a cheap Onyx 230 charger and a Blinky Balancer, they work awesome. Try www.Hobbyking.com for batteries.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hello,

why dont you try the Life packs??
Old 04-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

What are the advantages of the LiFe packs? Lipo seems to work so well why would one switch?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

NimH works well why switch to Lipo
Old 04-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Thats what I used to say, until I tried a friends lipo in my car. The difference is night and day. Is that the difference between LiFe and LiPo? From what I've heard Lipo is better but the LiFe are less finicky about charging etc.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
hello,

why dont you try the Life packs??
Please give me the lowdown on these batteries. Where to get em? How to charge em? How much they cost?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

What I have learned about lipo and nimh there really isn't a difference only on paper(specs) as long as you got a good setup(car) it really isn't a difference just charge your nimh night before and before mains and your good trust me going lipo won't make you any faster
Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jay317
What I have learned about lipo and nimh there really isn't a difference only on paper(specs) as long as you got a good setup(car) it really isn't a difference just charge your nimh night before and before mains and your good trust me going lipo won't make you any faster

Whoa. Holy misinformation Batman!

Lipos offer significantly less weight and more punch. How could that not translate to faster? As well, the power stays the same throughout the discharge, unlike a NIMH which will have less and less power as the charge wears out.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
Whoa. Holy misinformation Batman!

Lipos offer significantly less weight and more punch. How could that not translate to faster? As well, the power stays the same throughout the discharge, unlike a NIMH which will have less and less power as the charge wears out.
And the reason most people switch is so they don't have to charge before the mains. And if you run a 30min main with both you'll understand what having the same power throughout the discharge means. I run life packs and they last all day. I even ran 2 practice tanks and 2 10min qual and 30min Amain on the same charge for a race.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

LiFe typically has a slightly less energy density than LiPo which translates into either a slightly heavier battery or less capacity. If extra capacity, less weight, or higher voltage is truly needed then I think the decision is obvious. However, in many cases the extra energy density only results in wasted power due to traction loss, or money due to broken parts. If the energy density of LiFe fits your needs then you also get all the inherent advantages of LiFe. Those advantages are: Higher charge rate, higher discharge rate, more charge-discharge cycles, lower or no low voltage cutoff, and a more stable chemistry. You have to choose which of the characteristics are right for your application.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ok so if lipo is so great then I must have done something wrong. I bought a brand new 2s for my truggy, balance charged it and hooked it up to a bec then to the rx. After two heats it was dead and to the point where it could not be charged(fell below minimal voltage). I have a LIPO in my TX and love it but I will stick with my NIMH for now as even dry they are rechargeable and the voltage difference really does not play into my equation. I change battery packs every heat and cycle my batteries when I get home. I was hoping the LIPO would give me less time charging and more time playing but it did not work out this time. Cost difference is minimal so cost is not an issue.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

When using LiPo you always need a low voltage cutoff to prevent damage to the battery. It is also generally unnecessary to cycle LiPos. If you want fast charging and no LVC then read my post above and try LiFe. Make sure your charger explicitly supports LiFe packs though.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Lord

LiPo is not my choice. In most cases you do need a voltage regulator and an extra piece of electronics with its wirering and extra connectors can make the chance of an error much bigger....

My 1st choice is still NiMh, they are good enough, easy to charge and yes, with a 1600mAh battery I can run 3 heats, a semi and the main final. (total use: 1300mAh)

I would like to make a step to LiFe but first I do need a new charger...
Old 04-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Lipo ALL the way over here ....$ for $ the Rx packs i use Cant be beat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.