Community
Wiki Posts
Search

want some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default want some advice

I am excited to see the new FearFarm Track. I have little to no experience, except runnung an electric r/c, no racing experienece. I want to get started, what eqipment do you recommend for a beginner?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottyp17551
I am excited to see the new FearFarm Track. I have little to no experience, except runnung an electric r/c, no racing experienece. I want to get started, what eqipment do you recommend for a beginner?
Pretty wide-open question there. Hmmm...

1) Decide what class you want to run. Buggy, Truggy, etc. (Truggy is easiest to drive. Initial cost is maybe $100 more usually. Tires cost more, but last a LOT longer.)

2) Find out what the local guys are running, and what the local hobby shops stock parts for. Once you have that info, ask us to help you narrow it down.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Pretty wide-open question there. Hmmm...

1) Decide what class you want to run. Buggy, Truggy, etc. (Truggy is easiest to drive. Initial cost is maybe $100 more usually. Tires cost more, but last a LOT longer.)

2) Find out what the local guys are running, and what the local hobby shops stock parts for. Once you have that info, ask us to help you narrow it down.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will take your advice, and if you have any way to contact the guys at Fear Farm Raceway, in Goodyear, AZ, I would like to talk to somebody before the track opens on April 24th!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The track is not opening on april 24th anymore. They have canceled that date. No new date has been determined yet. come to the Nitro Pit on 4/17 and find me. My name is James Allara everyone knows me so just ask someone. I will point you in the right direction and you can see Buggies and truggies run and decide which way you want to go
Old 04-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by Jaz240
The track is not opening on april 24th anymore. They have canceled that date. No new date has been determined yet. come to the Nitro Pit on 4/17 and find me. My name is James Allara everyone knows me so just ask someone. I will point you in the right direction and you can see Buggies and truggies run and decide which way you want to go
I just want to tell you that I think its cool of you to do that for someone. I was a ..well still am a noob and a guy named Brandon Penny showed me everything I needed to know about rc racing! If it wasn't for him I would of gave it up ! Now its about 50 to 75 percent all I do and I live in Vegas so belive me there a lot more to do besides race rc cars. So that being said Rc cars make positive impacts on peoples lives more than you think belive me ! We need more people like this to keep this rc thing alive and well.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by GASMAN123
I just want to tell you that I think its cool of you to do that for someone. I was a ..well still am a noob and a guy named Brandon Penny showed me everything I needed to know about rc racing! If it wasn't for him I would of gave it up ! Now its about 50 to 75 percent all I do and I live in Vegas so belive me there a lot more to do besides race rc cars. So that being said Rc cars make positive impacts on peoples lives more than you think belive me ! We need more people like this to keep this rc thing alive and well.
Thank you for the kind words. The entire concept behind Team Terribles is to help new racers and get them in the right direction. even if they have no desire to be on the team we are hear to help
Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Definatly deacide a class buggy or truggy and then pick a budget that will point you in then right direction. Losi makes a pretty complete rtr but you will replace rungs like the engine and servos quickly. I like the losi cars they are easy to drive and easy to work on but there are many choces out there.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Rookie

WOW, thanks for the great advice. I hope to see you on the 17th.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Lord

your very welcome Scotty, just dont ask me to teach you how to drive
you definitely want someone other than me to do that

I pit by the main gate, just look for the Team Terribles banner. gates open at 7 am and racing starts at 10. The earlier you get there the more time I can spend with you. I can even get you a test drive of a buggy and a truggy, so you can feel the difference
Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Where are you at now? What equipment do you have? Like the other's said just decide what your budget will be. Nitro, or Electric? If you are going electric then you will need plenty of charging capibility. So you will need a good charger or two and power supplies if neccessary. A good set of hex wrenches, screwdrivers, and nut drivers are a must. Soldering iron and good solder. The best way to decide what spare parts you will need is just go out and see what you break. Most vehicles have common parts that break regularly, but the better driver you become the less you will break parts. I hardly ever break anything anymore, but when I started I was constantly breaking stuff. Shock oils, tires, a good dsm radio are all a good thing to have also.