R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   OS VG / pipe selection (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/386890-os-vg-pipe-selection.html)

MiniMeRCRacing 04-06-2010 05:02 AM

OS VG / pipe selection

I picked up a relatively new OS VG in a trade a few months ago. I'm planning on using it as a back-up engine for my buggy in case something happens to my Nova. My question to you all is, what pipe pairs well with the VG? I have a JP 1,2, and 3 pipes, plus I have a Dynamite 053 pipe which is what I use with the Nova. Most of the tracks I race at are tight, technical, and have numerous jumps. For that fact, if you can help me decide what clutch springs to use on the VG- I'd appriciate that as well. I've never run any OS engines so I'm a little lost. Anyways, I appreciate any pipe, and clutch spring advice you can spare.

Stubbs 04-06-2010 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by MiniMeRCRacing (Post 7236291)
I picked up a relatively new OS VG in a trade a few months ago. I'm planning on using it as a back-up engine for my buggy in case something happens to my Nova. My question to you all is, what pipe pairs well with the VG? I have a JP 1,2, and 3 pipes, plus I have a Dynamite 053 pipe which is what I use with the Nova. Most of the tracks I race at are tight, technical, and have numerous jumps. For that fact, if you can help me decide what clutch springs to use on the VG- I'd appriciate that as well. I've never run any OS engines so I'm a little lost. Anyways, I appreciate any pipe, and clutch spring advice you can spare.

JP-1 - Good bottom end pipe
JP-3 - Good all around performance pipe
OS2050 - Bottom end, but tends to make a buggy very "peaky"
OS2060 - mid to top end pipe. Really smooths out the power dlivery of the V-Spec. This is generally the preferred pipe when running a V-Spec in a buggy.
Losi RE-11 - Similar performance to the OS2050, but much less expensive
Losi RE-10 - Similar performance to the OS2060, but much less expensive.

You'll get numerous responses to this question, but any of the above pipes will work quite well with your V-Spec. You're good with the Jammin pipes you already have, but you may notice a slight decrease in fuel mileage compared to the OS pipes.

Your best bet is to find someone locally who has the pipes you're interested in, and ask them to let you borrow it to run for a while. Get out on the track, and put 4 or 5 tanks through with each pipe, and see if you notice any real difference. Don't forget to adjust your tune with each pipe change. ;)

Stubbs 04-06-2010 06:19 AM

I forgot to mention anything about clutch...

The set up you end up with will really be based on the track conditions, and how you want the motor to run. Springs and shoes are a tuning option, not a "set it and forget it" item.

If the track is really loose and dusty, set your clutch up to engage early (soft springs .9mm). This will allow the clutch to engage before it really gets up on the pipe, which will reduce wheel spin. If the track is really high bite, you can go up on springs (two 1.0 and one 1.1mm spring, or all three 1.0mm). This will allow the engine to spin up more before engaging, and will give more "punch".

As far as shoes go, Dynamite Max Life are good, Answer RC is another good option, and really aren't expensive.

You need to think about gearing as well. For your tight, technical track, I'd stick with a 13T or 14T clutch bell. You want to set your gearing up for the majority of the track (likely to be the infield sections). You may find that you're winding out very early on the front straight, but that's OK, since you're only there for a small amount of the total lap time. Go can always go up a tooth, and see how the car feels. Just watch out that your temps don't go too high.

Play around with some of these settings, and see what you like best.