Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How do I get better at tuning >

How do I get better at tuning

How do I get better at tuning

Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/5784470-post1.html

If you read and watch the articles in this post it will. Definitely help you out , go apply these out on track tuning and it may take a while but if you got good common sense about ya then you will do just fine , if you don't well.....................................
Old 04-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

You said in your other thread that you were supposed to have a race Saturday....did you decide not to run?

Everything that's been said is sound advice. Read the "tuning bible", and practice, practice, practice. Motogod and I race in the same club. I started out last year with a T-Maxx 2.5R (I wanted to learn on a "bic-lighter" engine instead of a high end mill). Honestly, those RTR motors really are a pain to tune, but it really does make you think about what you're doing.

I'm still learning, but I've moved up to 1/8 nitro truggy, with a good race engine, and it's much easier to tune. I've gotten to where I can hear what an engine is doing, and have a good understanding of what needs to change. I'm no expert yet, but I'm able to help other folks tune their motors in.

Just keep at it, and one day you'll be giving all of this advice to someone yourself.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I started out asking folks at the track to help me tune, but in the end I was relying on them too much. I was afraid to play too much on my own since I had a decent motor and didn't want to risk it. I read all I could and watched folks but there is no substitute for hands on experience.

A friend gave me some advice - "go buy a cheap motor and just plan on killing it". It was great, I put about 50 bucks into a junker Axial motor, and just went to town on it. I did things like made the LSN waaay over lean, and learned how it sounded...then I made it waaay to fat...and learned how that sounded, etc. But the bottom line is I wasn't afraid of it. I practiced every day for a week. Night before I'd go screw the needles up, then the next day I'd go out after work and see how fast I could get it close to race tune.

Best $50 I spent so far in this hobby. In about a week I learned more about tuning than I did in the previous 6 months.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

the more time you spend tinkering with the needles the better you get, observe the change in sound and smoke after every little change. And DO read the tuning guide that's stickied.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Engine whisperer....

It does take time to really understand these engines. Everyone has it's own little differences. Some like it fat on the bottom, some like it lean on bottom, and some just run and run...
Old 04-11-2010, 04:41 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

And never mess with the henweigh.

Someone told me that you never stop learning things about tuning. The basic skills can be learned in a year or so if you concentrate and stick to the outlines given in these threads.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am really happy to hear how many people are tuning by the sound of the engine !
Old 04-11-2010, 07:51 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

+1

R