R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   How to prepare my nitro truck for tomorrow? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/385818-how-prepare-my-nitro-truck-tomorrow.html)

Nitro F150 04-02-2010 03:36 PM

How to prepare my nitro truck for tomorrow?

Ok I went to my hobby shop 4 minutes after they opened and they got my truck broken in, because I had a new engine put in. I just got done running it about 3 or 4 tanks. What do I do after im done using it. What is the air filter oil for? I really just need to know how to properly store my nitro truck. I dont want to ruin another engine.

Also It was hot out today when my hobby shop broke in my engine so will I have to tune it tomorrow at the track?

CaribbeanPirate 04-02-2010 04:20 PM

Do you want the sugar coated version or the complete one? hahaha Joke...
if you didn't feel anything wrong with the car when you finished driving it, take out the electronics and engine and hose it down with a high pressure hose... clean your electronics and engine with denatured alcohol and put back together. As for the engine put some after run oil in it and crank it a couple of times... wash your filter with degreaser and soak it in filter oil (this keeps dirt from going into you engine)...

Now keep in mind this is just basic stuff... you should tear it down completely and check diffs for leakage, your bearings for wear, your plastics for wear, etc..... every once in a while.

smokinu 04-02-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by CaribbeanPirate (Post 7221404)
Do you want the sugar coated version or the complete one? hahaha Joke...
if you didn't feel anything wrong with the car when you finished driving it, take out the electronics and engine and hose it down with a high pressure hose... clean your electronics and engine with denatured alcohol and put back together. As for the engine put some after run oil in it and crank it a couple of times... wash your filter with degreaser and soak it in filter oil (this keeps dirt from going into you engine)...

Now keep in mind this is just basic stuff... you should tear it down completely and check diffs for leakage, your bearings for wear, your plastics for wear, etc..... every once in a while.

he has a nitro rustler/sport

not much to check, and the electronics are not easy to just tear out. like they are in our 1/8th cars.

CaribbeanPirate 04-02-2010 04:25 PM

Go it... amd I didn't pay much attention to the TOMORROW bit.... If you're running tomorrow then just clean the air filter and your set.

Nitro F150 04-02-2010 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by CaribbeanPirate (Post 7221423)
Go it... amd I didn't pay much attention to the TOMORROW bit.... If you're running tomorrow then just clean the air filter and your set.

Ok but how do I clean the air filter? How do I add the air filter oil?

Thanks.

Quad Racer 34 04-02-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nitro F150 (Post 7221497)
Ok but how do I clean the air filter? How do I add the air filter oil?

Thanks.

clean the filter with dish soap and warm water. rinse it really well and then let air dry before you put the filter oil on it. then, idk how everyone else does it, but, i take a plastic bag and put filter oil in it, smear it around, then put the filters in and rub in the filter oil that way.

rcdude236 04-02-2010 04:58 PM

i just put oil on the filter inside and out and than just start working it in. If you do that use latex gloves to keep your hands not all gross!

Nitro F150 04-02-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34 (Post 7221506)
clean the filter with dish soap and warm water. rinse it really well and then let air dry before you put the filter oil on it. then, idk how everyone else does it, but, i take a plastic bag and put filter oil in it, smear it around, then put the filters in and rub in the filter oil that way.

So how does the oil help the car?

Quad Racer 34 04-02-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nitro F150 (Post 7221520)
So how does the oil help the car?

it allows dirt to stick to the filter rather than going through the filter and destroying your engine! i would NOT run it in dirt AT ALL without filter oil on the filter

Nitro F150 04-02-2010 05:08 PM

So what else can you tell me?

Quad Racer 34 04-02-2010 05:12 PM

i would put after run oil in the engine. but tomorrow when you run it, unless the temp drastically changed from today i wouldnt try retuning it. if its about the same temp just start it up, get it warm and check the temp or if theres blue smoke coming from the pipe your good... and... once in a while i would check the bearings in the car. and clutch bearings. they seem to go fast. so check them after a few days of running it. what else do u need to know? lol

edit:
oh and dont let your air filters get too dirty. i would keep a few clean spares in your tool box, and keep your car clean. everything works better when its clean. after every race day or practice my cars get a complete tear down to clean, inspect parts, replace parts if broken or too much wear on them, check bearings, clean dirt off of bearings. pretty much it. im sure i missed a few but you get the main idea

Nitro F150 04-02-2010 05:16 PM

I mean im still learning how to tune and it's my first race and I just dont want to mess up my new engine.

Quad Racer 34 04-02-2010 05:19 PM

keep it on the rich side, be sure its always blowing blue smoke out the pipe. not at idle but when running it.

Nitro F150 04-02-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34 (Post 7221566)
i would put after run oil in the engine. but tomorrow when you run it, unless the temp drastically changed from today i wouldnt try retuning it. if its about the same temp just start it up, get it warm and check the temp or if theres blue smoke coming from the pipe your good... and... once in a while i would check the bearings in the car. and clutch bearings. they seem to go fast. so check them after a few days of running it. what else do u need to know? lol

edit:
oh and dont let your air filters get too dirty. i would keep a few clean spares in your tool box, and keep your car clean. everything works better when its clean. after every race day or practice my cars get a complete tear down to clean, inspect parts, replace parts if broken or too much wear on them, check bearings, clean dirt off of bearings. pretty much it. im sure i missed a few but you get the main idea

I will you be talking to other racers at the track so they may also help me out.

pfunk66 04-02-2010 05:23 PM

Best advice I can give is to make some friends at the track! It's much easier to get going and get the hang of everything when you have somebody close by to talk to and ask questions.