Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity Extech .24 pre-run "tunned"

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Trinity Extech .24 pre-run "tunned"

I have not seen any threads on this engine yet. I have heard many different opinions about this engine from the guys at my local track but no one has claimed to actually run one. So what can you guys tell me about this engine (power, run time, reliability)? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

there are a few guys at our track that run them nice stable low temps easy to tune and gobs of power with a light sprung clutch and the jp-6 pipe they always get over 10 minutes a tank they use the odo 97t worth looking at
Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

ran one for a bit had great bottom but seemed to struggle with finding the top i wanted out of it. not sure about parts now and if they are still making it. i would go with a .21 and save some fuel lol
Old 02-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

dont get a extech i have a .24 new head broke off on break-in customer service is the worst trust me waiting 2 month for replacement bunch of bull crap
Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I ran one for the last couple years and I liked it. I ran it in an RC8T with a 2057 pipe. It has great power and doesn't use a lot of fuel. After 7min qualifiers the fuel tank would be just under 1/2 full. I never had to go over 8 min in a main before pitting but I'm sure I could have if I needed to. I have retired my buggy and am going to try a different engine in my truggy this year but will put the .24 back in if the new engine doesn't work out.

here is a video of it in my truck. The engine has plenty of power it's my driving that is lacking. I race indoor electric off road 90% of the time but get to race nitro a few times a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnBLe0ZOCc
Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Unhappy

That is a CRAZY track bcrazy! Thanks for the info guys. I have had more than one person tell me about the cooling heads breaking I have also heard that they do not hold a tune very well. And what about the Trinity "big boy" pipe on this engine...is it any good on this engine?

I am asking so many questions because I have the opportunity to pickup one of these engines and pipes up for $260 all in(and brand new!). Anyone else have any more info on this engine/pipe combo? Putting in a truggy...
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hookem34
That is a CRAZY track bcrazy! Thanks for the info guys. I have had more than one person tell me about the cooling heads breaking I have also heard that they do not hold a tune very well. And what about the Trinity "big boy" pipe on this engine...is it any good on this engine?

I am asking so many questions because I have the opportunity to pickup one of these engines and pipes up for $260 all in(and brand new!). Anyone else have any more info on this engine/pipe combo? Putting in a truggy...
I've seen one at local track. It seemed to have a lot of power and always ran stable. I don't know what kind of pipe he ran but it had a distinct tone that I liked. It sounded mean.

What I do know after talking to the driver is that he has had problems with the cooling heads breaking off. Actually the first time I met him he had just broken the head while practicing and mentioned it had happened before so, he sent it back and recieved a new one.

I've read similar stories and also read they changed the head design. I don't know.

Needless to say he doesn't run Extech anymore. He's a Novarossi guy now. haha
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

take my word read the thread for trinity so many people have issues with their service its crazy dont waste you money buy something else.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have not seen any threads on this engine yet. I have heard many different opinions about this engine from the guys at my local track but no one has claimed to actually run one. So what can you guys tell me about this engine (power, run time, reliability)? Thanks!
I owned a couple 24'S AND 21'S. Crank pins are soft,carbs are not very good,putty falls out of cranks,blocks split down the center,baffles break loose in the bigboy pipes,springs wear through the mounting holes from pipe to header.Front bearings fail within 2 gallons.TEAM EPIC provides the worst customer service in the RC industry.Motors run cool and get good mileage! For that price go get a nova 5 port and SAVE yourself weeks of headaches

Last edited by THE PHILLY JYNX; 02-02-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
take my word read the thread for trinity so many people have issues with their service its crazy dont waste you money buy something else.
It 's a good deal for a reason . They have had my .21 that only went 3 quarts , then the filler came off the crank for repairs since MARCH of last year . I have been getting the run around ever since . Trust me you will not be able to find parts either . Please learn from our mistakes . NO customer service . Run away , very far away.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I run the .21. I love the way it has performed. It does hold a tune and screams like no other. The idle and performance is great. When the head breaks off just keep running it until you can get a new one. I did and still temped at 200.

Being serious though, its a great motor and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one however just like everyone said above problems will haunt you. The head snapped off and the putty fell out as well. Never refillied it and got lucky on a used head.

If the parts, support, and customer service was there I would buy another one. As it is I am playing with danger right now cause I dont have a back up motor. I have run this mill for 1 year now. It has to have at least 7 gallons on it. I think I got the lucky one.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Tech Adept

I run the Extech 24 first edition and have had zero problems out of it. On my 4th gallon or so and it is getting better every gallon. It is the version that is not pre-run or tuned. I run the Ofna 086 pipe and OD 97t plug with Byrons 30% Gen II in my MBX6-T. And I must say that it is nearly too much motor for a truggy. Runs between 190-215 degrees and get 10+ minutes a tank. Took about 2 gallons before the run time started coming up, but I always run my motors very rich on the HSN for the first gallon or 2. If you get the tuned version, DO NOT USE AFTER RUN OIL, it has some kind of petroleum additive in it that actually breaks down the epoxy that is used to fill the crank. I love mine so much, I picked up another one while I still could.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I didn't use after run oil & neither did the other 5 guys i have talked to that lost the filler from there cranks so i don't think that is the problem . Not being a jerk just letting you know .
Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

Just out of curiosity, which mills were they? Which version, modded?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I had a 21 eb mod that was a monster. I loved the enging but didnt have patients when I flipped and was over revving engine and the rod broke. I have a 24 that I had to get used to driving and I love it now. I love the power and the run time that it have with the big boy pipe. It have a muscle car type of sound to the 24 that I love. I just brought another 24 eb mod 2 days ago and I have another 21 eb mod in the box.

All I can say is that I havent had problems with it. My friend saw my 24 run last season and he got one for this season for his losi 8t 2.0. I havent experience the problems these guys are. Like I said the rod broke from user error but not other problems. Idle fine and temp was 220 on the 24 and 209 on the 21 eb mod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.