Wiki Posts
Search

MBX6 Durability

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default MBX6 Durability

I have been a Losi guy from the start and for sure love the part/pro support that you get when you run Losi.

On just durability how do you think the Mugen compares. I have the chance to pick up a new mbx6 cheaper than a 2.0. With that said though I would have to buy all new tools and stock up on parts.

At what point do you say it is worth it or not worth it when it comes to switching. I would be giving up a huge support for what many people say durability.

Thing is all of the pros hardly ever break their 2.0 so one would guess that its the driver not the durability.

This is a tough decision that have been thinking about for a couple of months now.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Ive drove both now and i personaly like the mbx6. The mbx5/6 are knowen as the stongest car out there as far as racing buggies. i say stay with the losi though. unless your getting like 100-150 off the mugen dont get it. I dont think you will save that much money in the life of the car.
On that note have you considered the hb d8? You can get that for 250 and get a massive amount of tools and parts.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Mugen parts prices seem to be high as giraffe cooter compared to Losi parts too.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would have to agree as well. I ran the Xray which is at least the same durability as the Mugen, and while it is bulletproof as far a breakages go, when you get down to your routine maintenance, things add up way too quickly. The long-term savings are negligible.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Wow I was expecting everyone to say jump to the mugen. I keep my wife in the loop with all of this RC stuff she has a better gut feeling than I do.

She says to stay with Losi as well but its our choice. I would have to buy two mugens to make the switch.

Will see how far this thread goes.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You and little man have been doing just fine with your Losi's. The boy needs some 2.0 parts and you need to pay more attention to some of the sloppiness that occurs with every car, but I dont see you or the boy not finishing races because of breaking, or losing because of an inferior car. If you get him a 2.0 race roller everything should be peachy. But I know you better than everyone else here and you are an RC addict just like the rest of us. The idea of 2 shinny new Mugens is going to outweigh any opinions you get from anyone and that will be the end of the story
Old 03-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The grass is always greener... We've been watching the losi 2.0's dominate since last summer and have been considering switching. Here are a few of my personal beef's with the MBX6.

It's rubber(y). Watch one roll... If you roll one just right, the plastic gives and the car rolls forever, springing low to the ground instead of launching in the air. I just notice this, but it's not something everybody notices and I'm not sure if its relevant.

The diff's require lots of maintenance. Every 2 days of racing the diffs have to be rebuilt because they are empty. Just tonight, I started going through and sanding the diff cups to try to get them to seal better.

From what I can't find... The bevel gears tear into the diff cups under stress... I'm gonna look for some shims to fill some space between the bearing and the center universal to see if it won't help. Even with the play, the bevel gears last a very long time.

The buggy chassis tends to bend at the back and again at the opening for the flywheel. This is how to tell when a car has been beat to hell. It will have the anodizing wore off on the same side as the cutout for the flywheel, to the edge of the chassis.

Thats all I can think of... Other than that, they are pretty tough buggies and handle great. I'd still like to take a stab at setting up a losi 2.0 for comparison though.
Good luck!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
You and little man have been doing just fine with your Losi's. The boy needs some 2.0 parts and you need to pay more attention to some of the sloppiness that occurs with every car, but I dont see you or the boy not finishing races because of breaking, or losing because of an inferior car. If you get him a 2.0 race roller everything should be peachy. But I know you better than everyone else here and you are an RC addict just like the rest of us. The idea of 2 shinny new Mugens is going to outweigh any opinions you get from anyone and that will be the end of the story
Lol. Your right. The two things going for the losi is that I have some store credit with amain plus the discount and the rebate and I can have it in 3 days for his birthday for $500.00 shipped plus a $75.00 rebate making the 2.0 $425.00 and not having to buy new tools.

Plus I know the car like the back of my hand when its crunch time to fix.

I hate this crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 shiny new mugens oooooooooohhhhhhhh. I dont think i can justify the savings of the durability. $500.00 buys alot of Losi parts.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

The Mugen will have far superior fit and finish. The quaility of the parts is why they are more expensive. Japanese kits are better quality (materials and molds) than Taiwanese kits any day.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Buying parts for MBX6's and MBX6T's are cheap. Go on ebay and you can buy new parts for 1/3rd the cost of hobbystores. I bought a complete diff for $30, complete radio box $7, two front or rear complete CVD's $25 and much much more.

Durability is very good on the Mugen so don't worry about that.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shanty140
Buying parts for MBX6's and MBX6T's are cheap. Go on ebay and you can buy new parts for 1/3rd the cost of hobbystores. I bought a complete diff for $30, complete radio box $7, two front or rear complete CVD's $25 and much much more.

Durability is very good on the Mugen so don't worry about that.
This guy isn't kidding... I've built 2 mbx6's and a 6t this way... saving a little cash on each.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaron2u
This guy isn't kidding... I've built 2 mbx6's and a 6t this way... saving a little cash on each.
LOL Yup, I always have to stop myself from buying everything because it's such a good deal. It's like a kid in a candy store.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (98%+)

also been thinking of doing the switch,but i have SO much losi stuff i think it would be a waste,kinda sounds like you have lots to.i would say stay with losi!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Yes I do have quite a bit. Nothing crazy but at least $100.00 in tools (hudy) and about $250.00 to $300.00 in parts and hardware.

When I buy stuff its always in two's. Its nice to run the same manufacture with two of us racing.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

I run 808 And its same quality to the moogen if not better-Yes there more £ but.. they are bl**dy durable buggies!.. And quality is above all the other's no question!.. Spares, yes are more £ but they get sloppy at a very slow rate.. specially compared to Losi's. My view is goo moogen or even 808
I like the look of the losi's but I dont have the time to be changing plastics like clutch bearings.. Can you not try a moogen.. you and your lad.. then make you mind then instead of shedding out for 2 straight away. If you like it, then order another and tools ect.. instead of doing it all in 1 bang.. and hating it-Very much doubt that.. but that seems a better route.. but my vote of the 2 is moogen.

Durability
Quality is top
Fast-super steering
Not being the 1 of 1,000's running losi
Parts wear alot less!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.