Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Back after 5 year hiatus... >

Back after 5 year hiatus...

Back after 5 year hiatus...

Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Back after 5 year hiatus...

Okay, to be as brief as possible, I quit R.C. about 5 years ago to go back to school... I graduated back in December and have gotten back into it... I rebuilt my rc10gt and it runs pretty good, but I'm looking to get a new ride. I'm going to give the Rc10 to my dad and I'm considering perhaps a Jato or a Rustler... I'm just looking for advice because I see allot has changed since I quit, especially with the 2.4ghz controllers. Anyway, I want to get a car that's easy to get parts for and it seems like all the Local Hobby Stores carry Traxxas. Any other suggestions are welcome... Last question, How well does the easy start system work? I've always had pull starts. Thanks in advance and thanks for looking...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

The easy start system is alright, it tends to beat up on one way bearings. I converted to a pullstart on my Revo and T Maxx and just use a glow driver. traxxas parts are very common and easy to get most of the time. As far as a new RC vehicle, you should decide what you want to do first, race or bash around, then you should have a better idea of what to get.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RevAshley
Okay, to be as brief as possible, I quit R.C. about 5 years ago to go back to school... I graduated back in December and have gotten back into it... I rebuilt my rc10gt and it runs pretty good, but I'm looking to get a new ride. I'm going to give the Rc10 to my dad and I'm considering perhaps a Jato or a Rustler... I'm just looking for advice because I see allot has changed since I quit, especially with the 2.4ghz controllers. Anyway, I want to get a car that's easy to get parts for and it seems like all the Local Hobby Stores carry Traxxas. Any other suggestions are welcome... Last question, How well does the easy start system work? I've always had pull starts. Thanks in advance and thanks for looking...
What are your plans? Do you want to get into racing or just bashing?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by geejay
What are your plans? Do you want to get into racing or just bashing?
Well, I am planning on racing down at the local track, but I'm not competitive if you know what I mean... I just like to go out on the track and have fun... and of course, I also like to bash around... So I'll be doing both, but I am not planning on racing seriously...
Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Well, I am planning on racing down at the local track, but I'm not competitive if you know what I mean... I just like to go out on the track and have fun... and of course, I also like to bash around... So I'll be doing both, but I am not planning on racing seriously...
Well I would look at a truggy, unfortunately 10th scale gas is pretty much dead in racing, same with MTs. I would look at getting a truggy, which you can race and bash... with Losi or AE parts are or should be pretty easy to get and the companies are pretty good with support.....
Old 03-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Get yourself a good 1/6 scale truggy. The Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR package is probably the best fit. It comes with a great 2.4 Radio, starter box, and a very tough (and competitive) truggy. The servos that come with the kit are craptastic, but so are most RTR servos. So be ready to replace them (minimally the steering servo.)

This truggy is very tough and comes incredibly cheap for what you get. You can get it for only $659 at The Barn Floor (add it to cart to see the price).

This may seem expensive, but it includes pretty much everything you need and includes a very good radio and is race ready.

If you prefer buggies, you could get the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR that is even less money at only $589.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Depends on how much you want to spend. You could also find a nice used 8ight-T 1.0. Perfect for bashing around, and hitting the track. Losi parts are pretty common at LHS's too
Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grimlock212
Get yourself a good 1/6 scale truggy. The Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR package is probably the best fit. It comes with a great 2.4 Radio, starter box, and a very tough (and competitive) truggy. The servos that come with the kit are craptastic, but so are most RTR servos. So be ready to replace them (minimally the steering servo.)

This truggy is very tough and comes incredibly cheap for what you get. You can get it for only $659 at The Barn Floor (add it to cart to see the price).

This may seem expensive, but it includes pretty much everything you need and includes a very good radio and is race ready.

If you prefer buggies, you could get the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR that is even less money at only $589.

it's 1/8 not 1/6

I know you didn't mean it. But the O.P. might get confussed
Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dreaux
it's 1/8 not 1/6

I know you didn't mean it. But the O.P. might get confussed
Thank you, I didn't know he meant 1/8... LOL... Thanks for the replies guys, I looked at the local tracks website, and it says that the only classes they guarantee to race every Saturday night are 1/8 Scale Truggy, 1/8 Scale Buggy Pro, 1/8 Buggy Sportsman... They will run other classes if there are 5 or more people there to run... So a 1/8 truggy or buggy sounds like a viable option... I've got to be honest, I've only ever ran 1/10, is there anything tremendously different about 1/8??? and lastly, I don't mean to sound like a tightwad, but what is considered a good RTR 1/8 for 400$ or less? Thanks again to all the replies...
Old 03-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

SCT is another class to look into, it has gotten pretty popular in just a few months and a lot of the sct's are easily available in electric so you can run them indoors when the weather man is against you. Traxxas has slash or slayer one of the two and if thats the only brans your lhs carries then you should have plenty of parts support. First contact your track about scr (short course truck) class, like how many people run them and stuff.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by xjqkz
SCT is another class to look into, it has gotten pretty popular in just a few months and a lot of the sct's are easily available in electric so you can run them indoors when the weather man is against you. Traxxas has slash or slayer one of the two and if thats the only brans your lhs carries then you should have plenty of parts support. First contact your track about scr (short course truck) class, like how many people run them and stuff.
I should have mentioned that I only run Nitro... but thank you for the suggestion... I'm going to have to look around at some other tracks because I have been told that there are a few more in town... I'm going to find out what everyone is running, but I gotta admit, the 1/8 buggy or truggy sound pretty cool and I'm definitely interested...
Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR is a good option to get back in.. i seen you post about only nitro but the 1/8th brushless stuff is getting pretty crazy, you should at least take a look at it lots has changed
Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I don't mean to sound like a tightwad, but what is considered a good RTR 1/8 for 400$ or less? Thanks again to all the replies...

Nothing. And there is nothing wrong with having a budget. But honestly, I would look for a IN GOOD SHAPE used truggy. $400 could get you a really nice setup. It may be an older design, like the MBX5T or the 8ight-T 1.0 but they are still competitive.

A competitive good quality used truggy is much better than a brand new outdated truggy that will need 400 bucks in upgrades just to make it raceable
Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fallguy
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR is a good option to get back in.. i seen you post about only nitro but the 1/8th brushless stuff is getting pretty crazy, you should at least take a look at it lots has changed
Thanks, I'm going to check that out... I'm not anti-electric by any means, I just really enjoy working on and tuning the nitro engines... That's why I run them... I think I get more enjoyment off of working on and tuning the car, than I actually do running it
Old 03-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by boomgagem
Nothing. And there is nothing wrong with having a budget. But honestly, I would look for a IN GOOD SHAPE used truggy. $400 could get you a really nice setup. It may be an older design, like the MBX5T or the 8ight-T 1.0 but they are still competitive.

A competitive good quality used truggy is much better than a brand new outdated truggy that will need 400 bucks in upgrades just to make it raceable
Yeah used may be a good way to go for me... I have allot of experience tuning nitro engines, and am pretty well versed in rebuilding and diagnosing problems, so I feel like used may be a good way to go... Especially with my budget... So, I'll keep you guys posted on what I decide to do... if anyone else has any suggestions, by all means, throw'em down

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.