R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Polyglass vs. Carbon Fiber?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/381727-polyglass-vs-carbon-fiber.html)

HyperB5 03-20-2010 03:57 PM

Polyglass vs. Carbon Fiber??

I've noticed some aftermarket companies producing Polyglass shock towers and would like to know if someone could shed some light on how Polyglass compares to Carbon Fiber!

thanks!

Blackstring 03-21-2010 08:29 PM

I assume you mean Fiberglass vs. carbon. Carbon has higher tensile strength(resistance to stretch along its fiber axis) And is much stiffer Flexural Modulus(strength in bending across its axis). Fiberglass has lower properties of both. But.. Fiberglass's lower flexural Modulus allows it to bend, to absorb more impact before failure.

But this is only in terms of the fibers. If the resins are different, low-temp epoxies vs hi- temp bismaleimides opens up other factors. Basically fiberglass is cheaper but compared to the same thickness of a carbon laminate it will resist cracking through the entire laminate(not delaminatation).

HyperB5 03-21-2010 09:09 PM

I know what fiber glass is. Polyglass is, from what I can tell, very different from fiber glass. Here is a link to some of the parts I am referring to. This is not the only place I've seen the the word Polyglass though!

Blackstring 03-21-2010 09:34 PM

Well, I'm not sure about other places polyglass may have been been advertised but in the discriptions on that site its says "PolyGlass Set For 808 XRAY : Front and Rear Shocktowers - Alloy 7075 - Thickness 4mm".

Before I saw that I thought the pictures looked a lot like aluminum. Seems to bee a euro trade name of some sort.

mthird 03-22-2010 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by HyperB5 (Post 7167589)
I know what fiber glass is. Polyglass is, from what I can tell, very different from fiber glass. Here is a link to some of the parts I am referring to. This is not the only place I've seen the the word Polyglass though!

But did you know it the level of detail he said it? I sure as hell didn't! Flexural modulus? Not sure I'll be able to fit that into a sentence today.

speedy2 03-22-2010 05:30 AM

I think the "polyglass" here means just
the cnc 7075 alu parts are polished hyperbright

HyperB5 03-22-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by speedy2 (Post 7168708)
I think the "polyglass" here means just
the cnc 7075 alu parts are polished hyperbright

I could be wrong but, I don't think they would use such a specific term for "polished aluminum". Someone else on this forum has made some Polyglass towers for the B44! I think maybe M.C.F. towers have an aluminum core and some sort of Polyurethane/Resin coating. They haven't messaged me back yet!

geejay 03-22-2010 08:38 AM

its alum with a high shine...

Blackstring 03-22-2010 09:59 AM

A polymer coating such as urethane, epoxy, or even ceramics on an aluminum core would have no benefit other than chemical resistance, scratch resistance, or temperature resistance.

In this case poly is just a fancy word for alloy and glass is the high shine like mentioned before. sorry to drop a omelet of knowledge:blush: