Wiki Posts
Search

CRF US Spec vs CRF Alpha 3 port

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default CRF US Spec vs CRF Alpha 3 port

I need a new motor for my buggy. I am currently running a Nova +4c and want to try something new. How do these two compare: Power and runtime. Are they both picco based? Are they both the same quality? Do they both use the same carb?

Currently I only get 8 minutes on my +4, so longer runtime would be nice, but more power is a bigger priority.

Thx in advance
Old 03-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billetboy
I need a new motor for my buggy. I am currently running a Nova +4c and want to try something new. How do these two compare: Power and runtime. Are they both picco based? Are they both the same quality? Do they both use the same carb?

Currently I only get 8 minutes on my +4, so longer runtime would be nice, but more power is a bigger priority.

Thx in advance

How many gallons do you have on your plus +4c? I run the same motor with results over 10 minutes.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thx in advance
The us spec is picco based, the alpha is a star based engine like a sirio engine. The us spec is good with the Orion 2066 pipe and tunes slighty diffacult, I also put ceramics in at 2 gallons. I havnt really ran it much latly but it's a powerhouse and has great runtimes, price is pretty high like 400$ range. The 3 port is fast as hell tunes easy and runs good with a 2013, also u can use a p3 or p4 plug n their easy to find. They last a good while 6-8 gallons. N u can get a matching pipe with the engine for like 400$. I would say the alpha line is far more reliable then the crf picco based engines as i didn't like the picco n how bad they hold a tune. I also saw the new line is alpha crf engines so I would read up on those new engines.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

I have 5 gallons thru my +4, but I run on some fast, wide open tracks and I have a heavy finger

David
Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have 5 gallons thru my +4, but I run on some fast, wide open tracks and I have a heavy finger

David
If you get 8min with the +4, you'll probably be lucky to get 5min out of the U.S. spec.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
I also saw the new line is alpha crf engines so I would read up on those new engines.
Thx Matt, that was lots of great info. The New CRF Alpha 3 port is the one I am looking at. Because it is called a CRF Alpha, I don't know if it is sirio or picco based since it shares both names. Also, the new CRF Alpha is suppose to be new carb, crank and port design, so I though with all the new revisions it might out perform the US spec even though it is only a 3 port vs the 5 port US spec. I already have a 2013 so that is what I would like to use
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thx Matt, that was lots of great info. The New CRF Alpha 3 port is the one I am looking at. Because it is called a CRF Alpha, I don't know if it is sirio or picco based since it shares both names. Also, the new CRF Alpha is suppose to be new carb, crank and port design, so I though with all the new revisions it might out perform the US spec even though it is only a 3 port vs the 5 port US spec. I already have a 2013 so that is what I would like to use
well the new crf alpha is a sirio type engine forsure I heard it just uses the crf technology on the crank, crf is some dude that has his own design for cranks so it has nothing to do with picco. The new carb is a must with any sirio type engine I just threw an os carb on because they make everything consistent on the tune. If you do get one I would just go for the new crf alpha because they are a product of further devolopment within Orions company and will be an improved engine from there last alpha line. I'll say I am very happy with my alpha 24.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have not ran a US Spec but other Picco engines need the carb sealed where the aluminum and plastic meet and it will then hold a tune as well or better than an OS. The Jammin Piccos get worse mileage than the Plus 4. I cannot say how your mileage will be but it seems like most get better mileage with the US Spec. If you have a heavy trigger finger it may not be great though.

I would expect the Picco engine to outlast the Sirio based engine by a few gallons.