Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Ask Aaron Waldron >

Ask Aaron Waldron

Ask Aaron Waldron

Old 10-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Aaron,

alright, I went out for some practice today and made some very productive adjustments. In the rear....I went from 1-a to 2-a and rear traction shot up. Then also in the rear, I went from 25-56 to 32.5-55 and again, better traction. In the front, I'm still runnin' the 3-b link but didn't have time to try the 2-b. What is the 2-b gonna do for me? Also, how come no body ever runs the a-hole
(sorry had to do that) on the front caster block?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Snikkari - The tranny for the old XXX-T is 2.4:1, while the generation II tranny is 2.55:1

18/86 will get you close to 11.13.

mafia - 2-A will smooth out steering and keep the front end flatter. I'm not sure the difference between changing the link on the caster block versus the bulkhead, but all desired changes can be made on the bulkhead, so I don't think anyone has found a reason to mess with the caster block.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

karter, just send it back. ive fixed antenna wires before, and they are NEVER the same. maybe not drastically bad, but less range, more glitch prone, its never turned out well.

mafia, that crack (ouch no pun intended) left the way clear for so many horrible a-hole jokes. and due to my sensibilities, and distaste for being banned, ill keep them to myself lol
Old 10-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Good choice.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

My focus at the track yesterday was to work on the rear end of the car and get it situated to where I can lay the power down with more confidence that it would stick. But like I said, I just didn't have time to mess with the front end. Another adjustment I wanted to tinker with was my front shock location. The track layout is wierd, every jump is on a turn or leading into a turn so the car has to be planted right off the landing. Right now, when I downside a jump....right before the car settles at the bottom, the front end is grabbing and (more times than I'd like) swinging the car sideways.

I'm mounted inside on tower and middle on arm...with 27.5-57....and no limiter. Buuuuut...I was thinking of trying 30-57-.200" internal and mounting 2-inside. to try and take away the super grippieness. What do you think?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Pro-line edge front truck tires

I bought some pro-line "The Edge" front truck tires and I realized that they don't really indicate which side is the inside of the tire and which is the outside.

Pro Line site

Here is a better picture than the Pro_line site.

[edit] I guess Tower Hobbies doesn't allow direct linking!

Let's try a link instead!

The Edge

Notice the different angles of the tread ribs on the bottom tire. The top half is more vertical, the bottom half is slanted toward the vertical ribs.

Extra info. I am currently using Losi 8 rib red fronts and we have plenty of steering on a hard packed indoor dirt off-road track. I thought I'd give these things a try just for fun but once the glue is set its set for good and I don't want to make a $27 mistake. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Rysuleod; 10-18-2004 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Adam Drake 2

Aaron:

I can't wait to take a look at the New Drake. I understand that the transmission has been redesigned to allow rebuilding without removing the brake hardware. Great idea! Do you know yet what transmission parts have been redesigned? I have a spare transmission and another spare diff that I just put together. Will they work with the new truck? Has anything changed in the diffs? Also, should I start selling my tire collection or will the old front and rear tires still work on the new axles and hub carriers?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

mafia - I'd move out on the arm to make the front end more stable.

Rysuleod - We only run Edges on blown out tracks in an effort to take away steering. The V-shaped ridges are mounted on the outside.

todd - The old tranny will fit. The diff has a new thrust bearing but the old one will work.

I've been hearing about a conversion kit to use the old rims on the new truck, but I'm not sure of any details.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Hi Aaron, I am long time losi fan (had the 1st gen. JRX2) and I've noticed that the instruction manuals no longer have sugested gearing charts in them. Is there one available?
I'm interested in trying the dogbone/plastic universal setup too, is there a part# for a conversion kit?
You-Da'-Man.

BTW, you're a very eloquent writer. I hope you'll continue to contribute to websites/magazines like these.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Our resident rocket scientist, Casper, has a gearing chart on his website (at least he did the last time I looked at it). We'll see if he can post a link when he reads this.

The problem with providing gearing blanket gearing advice is the diversity of motors and tracks that we now race on..it's just tough.

Are you looking for BK2 dogbones? I'm not sure of any conversion kit, but I will get the part numbers for the individual parts when I get home from work tonight.

I love to write..I'm actually sitting in my journalism class right now.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

http://home.socal.rr.com/casper04/Gear_Chart.htm

Is the link to the chart page itself or you can go to

http://home.socal.rr.com/casper04 and click the infosheets to see the chart.

Gearing is for the original XXX tranny. I would gear one tooth down from all these recommendations for the Bk2 but the truck gearing still apply for the MF2 (did not change my personal gearing) I plan to update the chart soon for the GenII tranny.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Aaron will the Team Losi towers,arms & rims off my XXX-NT fit the AD2?THANKS
Old 10-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, but there is no point.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Aaron,

I see that you broke the 1000 barrier....too bad you're a moderator, now you don't get a cool name or title. What title do I get when I hit 1000?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Which Motor

Aaron

Which motor are you running in your Drake? What modifications do you do to the sleeve?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.