Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Ask Aaron Waldron >

Ask Aaron Waldron

Ask Aaron Waldron

Old 09-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Actually the alum bumpers hold up pretty well. They are not roar legal though as this makes the leading edge of the car metal and it becomes as hazard to turn mashals. You can find alum from bumpers pretty easy on ebay all the time.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Hehe..this is great, the questions answer themselves!

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Tech Regular

Default t-bolt question, and grease question

i got a question or two for the experienced....

ive just rebuilt my diff (mostly, need one more set of bearings, and my pack of diff balls was one short) and its the first time ive ever worked on the diff (or any diff). so, i got it all back together, and now im wondering, how do i know that i have the thrust bolt tight enough? the instructions i found online say somthing about compressing the spring but that doesnt mean much to me. before i tore the tranny down it took a significant amount of force to spin one of the rear wheels and make the opposite wheel turn in the other direction, and i had to be holding the spur gear. now, ive tightened the t-bolt all the way in, but i dont know how far to snug it up. it takes little effort with the rear end off the ground to spin a wheel and make the other move in the opposite direction. is this too loose? how do i know when its just right?

second, i used associated black grease for the entire tranny, as some have suggested to me. others tell me that im crazy for not using diff lube. whats the difference, and will it affect performance? which parts get grease and which parts get diff lube?
Old 09-16-2004, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

Aaron are you ever going to race at Shorters?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hell he lives in North San Diego and we cant even drag him down here to race...I think he is afraid. LMAO
Old 09-16-2004, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Re: t-bolt question, and grease question

Originally posted by beetlebz
i got a question or two for the experienced....

ive just rebuilt my diff (mostly, need one more set of bearings, and my pack of diff balls was one short) and its the first time ive ever worked on the diff (or any diff). so, i got it all back together, and now im wondering, how do i know that i have the thrust bolt tight enough? the instructions i found online say somthing about compressing the spring but that doesnt mean much to me. before i tore the tranny down it took a significant amount of force to spin one of the rear wheels and make the opposite wheel turn in the other direction, and i had to be holding the spur gear. now, ive tightened the t-bolt all the way in, but i dont know how far to snug it up. it takes little effort with the rear end off the ground to spin a wheel and make the other move in the opposite direction. is this too loose? how do i know when its just right?

second, i used associated black grease for the entire tranny, as some have suggested to me. others tell me that im crazy for not using diff lube. whats the difference, and will it affect performance? which parts get grease and which parts get diff lube?
First question, tighten the thrust washer down all the way until the screw snugs up, then back it off a quarter turn. Run the truck for a few minutes and then tighten it down again until it gets snug then back off a quarter turn. Your diff is now set properly. This is the procedure for an RC10gt.

Second, only use black grease on the thrust assy of the diff, use diff lube for the larger balls and rings. Black grease is way too thick for the main balls.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

so to convert terminology (sorry i dont know the real names of everything :O)

i want diff lube on the carbide diff balls, but i want black grease on the 6 little thrust balls on the thrust bolt, right?

what about the rest of the tranny? does any of it get grease?
Old 09-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The gears do not need grease. It will add drag if you use black grease on the gears of the tranny.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Beetlebz and casper, both are absolutlely correct.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

notch and o-dog - Funny!

This weekend, I have a Saturday Series race and a Jimmy race on Sunday. We're leaving Friday night to get up there for Saturday, so that kills this weekend. Next weekend we'll be at Hot Rod testing shtuff for the Reedy Race, which is the weekend after that. So the earliest I could make it to either track would be the week after the Reedy Race.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Putting a lite coat of black grease on the gears of an off road tranny will actually be perfect. Losi has some white teflon grease that would be even better.

The grease only creates drag until you run the tranny then it actually helps the tranny be free under load.

Im not trying to get into a big technical battle but this has been working great for many years. No tranny failures or horsepower loss EVER.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Aaron,

I don't know how much experience you have with slicks but word on the street is that we'll be running slicks this weekend. Generally, do you want a pretty hard foam and a hard compund?

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

The only track I've been to where we ran slicks, we used Trinity's extra firm blue foam (basically like rock, only lighter) and soft compound tires. I'm not sure if you'll be using reds or pinks, so check before you go.

For that track, we'd wire brush the sticky dirt off the tire and use a toothbrush to scrub in some Zip Grip about 5-10 minutes before heading out to the track.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

hey aaron ah i put diff oil in my s-maxx that i finally got working and now it makes a noise should that happen
Old 09-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Gary Guest
Putting a lite coat of black grease on the gears of an off road tranny will actually be perfect.
thanks gary, i did that by accident lol

the rebuild came out great. actually, a little too good. i scraped the grease out of the tranny and diff and rebuilt it using diff lube, and the gears i just cleaned with a wire brush to get the bulk of the grease off. effectively the diff is running diff lube and the gears have a light coating of grease on them.

the tranny is far from perfect, a titanium top gear, a new tranny housing, and new outdrives are in the future, but for now the car has more power than anticipated. ive never had major spur gear problems before. close enough was always close enough, especially with gear mesh. well, the truck found so much extra horsepower that it stripped the spur within 20 seconds of firing her up in the driveway lol

oh well, nother trip to my LHS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.