Ask Aaron Waldron

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

For factory needle settings, 3 turns would be to "tighten" the screw all the day (don't crank on it, just turn it until it stops or gets tight) and then back it out 3 full turns. 3 1/4 would be three full turns and then one 90-degree turn. So yes, it's in full turns.

Not sure why you'd try to start the engine with barely any fuel? If you're having problems getting the engine to start it might take you a while. Go ahead and fill the tank and give yourself a few chances to start it. You can always suck the fuel back out of the tank with your fuel bottle (just make sure the tip of your fuel bottle is clean before you put it inside your tank).

There are other variables that could prevent the engine from starting. Is the engine getting fuel (you should see it travel through the fuel tubing)? Is your glow plug still good? When you put the engine away, did you use after run oil or WD-40 to stop the internals from rusting?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok Got it running this morning but factory settings caused alot of fuel to leak out the pipe!! and wouldnt hold idle .... Cahnged the plug it fired up!!! This is my 3rd tank of fuel now and when It would accelerate it would bog and temps where reaching 250 or so!! I know that isnt good! So right now it sitting back at factory settings! It says after the 2nd tank I can begin to lean the mixture!! But kinda confused about what temp to look for at Idle speed?
I think I leaned it out to much to get it to start?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Tech Master

Default *bump*

*bump*
Old 02-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

LOWGEARED - Factory settings for engines are usually on the rich side, so yeah...fuel will be spitting out of the pipe. Once the engine is broken in (you may want to give the engine a quart or so of short runs up and down the street before you really start tuning it aggressively) you will need to lean the high speed needle to encourage smooth acceleration and allow the engine to clean out when wide open. When it doubt, err on the "rich" side, but the engine should sound healthy and not bog or starve for fuel at high RPM.

Then you may lean the low speed needle to provide crisp acceleration. Again, no bogging, as usually bogging when tuning the low speed needle means it is too lean.

The most common error when tuning engines is that the low speed needle will be too lean, and the high speed needle will be too rich to compensate. Remember that the high speed needle controls the air/fuel mixture of the engine throughout the range of the throttle, where the low speed needle only affects air/fuel mixture at idle through 1/4 throttle or so.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

I had to back it off a hole 90 degree turn on the HSN and the LSN 1/2 to lean it and it fired and held Idle it was blowing fuel out today but way less with the adjustment leaning both back my temps during the 5th tank run between 200 to 225 !! Good no? It dosent say any thing about it being bad on the 5th tank to give it small blips of WOT so I did just a few though!! WOW very eager to see this baby in dirt!
But notices top would sputter a bit is that just a good breakin setting?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

bump
Old 02-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Hey Aaron is the drake's web site all mest up? or did he just changed the lay out? I just whent to is site and it looked kinda mest up so I thougth I would as u if u know if he changed it or not.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

I think that's just a new layout for his website. Kinda cool I think...quick access to the forums.

Lowgeared - When you say sputter, is it revving out really high and then bogging? If so, that's because it's too lean. If it is a bit bubbly, then you're fine and can start to lean it out. Five tanks with that motor should be fine, as long as you've let it cool down in between each time you've run it.

Just don't hold it wide open for longer than 4-5 seconds at a time. You shouldn't really do that much anyway, but especially when the engine is new.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Mybad on the official thread! DELETE IT SOMEHOW?

Anyway ya took WOT a couple of times an it bubbled a little when I let off sounded like a motorcycle idling down ! sort of! Its way off from Factory settings now .. It seems to jump off the line quick and has a new found pull from when I started.
I just need a little more time with the ajusting but tommorow will be better cause my settings are in firing range. Might try some LSN movement tommorow not sure?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Ok. Cool thanks Aaron. Yeah its not to bad of a lay out. I was just macking so it was the lay out on is site cause sometime my internet freaks out one me.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

It's not your computer, just looks like the website went through a layout change.

lowgeared - Just let me know which threads you want deleted. There is also an existing XXX-NT Sport thread in the offroad forum, you can search for it using Advanced Search when you click on the Search button.

Make sure your truck runs well at full throttle before you start messing with the LSN. Because the HSN affects the entire throttle range (well, close enough) it's important to make sure that is set correctly first.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:13 AM
Tech Master

Hi again,

did the people you spoke to give you no idea what they were going to do? It's really only a matter of they will send replacements for the missing parts or they wont surely?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

I'll make another phone call tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

AW - how are your starter box skins holding out? How long do they last?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

I'm really amazed at how well all my stickers from Panther Motorsports Design have held up. The body wraps hold up longer than the paint does, and the starter box wraps have held up through months of use. My boxes usually get used my several cars every time we're at the track, just because the batteries are always charged (and now they're easy to see...haha). The material PMD uses for their stickers is top notch; it's really sticky and very durable. I'm still on my original starter box wraps from when I first got my stickers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.