Wiki Posts
Search

Acetone Fumes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Acetone Fumes

I am going to try the 1 gallon of acentone in a 5 gallon bucket to attempt to undo the glue job of some old tires in an attempt to salvage the wheels and foams. Of course, I will use something like a brick to elevate the wheels out of the acetone so the fumes can do the work on the CA glue.

The problem I am having is finding a container that can be resealed easily. I have tried a standard 5 gallon bucket, a bucket for cholorine tablets, and a kitty litter container. All of them leaked when I put water in them and turned them on their side. I want to find a container that can hold a good seal so the acetone doesn't evaporate with time since you have to leave the wheels in there for several days.

Does anyone know of a containers at least 2.5 gallons or larger that has a resealable lid? If so, what/where do you get it?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ductape, and lots of it!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i just use coffee cans. put a little in at the bottom and youre set.

if youre trying to save the foams, then use the spacer to keep them elevated.

if you dont have to save them, just stick them in the acetone straight, and they will come off faster.

i can fit a whole set of buggy tires in a coffee can
Old 03-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

All you need is enough to cover the bottom. I used an old med size ice chest and put some rims in the bottom to keep the tires elevated. Put the lid on and sealed it up with tape. Let it sit for 2 days. Opened her up and the tires came off with ease. My panther foams were trashed but the rest werent bad at all. I then used the same deal to pull of some 8 scale truggy tires. I cut the tires off b/c all I wanted was the rims. I ended up having to letting them soak for an hour on each side, (I cleaned the glue off as soon I pulled each rim out).
Old 03-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

In the past few weeks I've done 2 sets. 1st set was truggy on cracked rims so needed the tires and foam not the wheel. I used a plastic container from ace hardware with a lid, like a margarine container. I put plastic wrap on top and taped it tight then put the lid on. I let them set a day and the tires came off pretty easy but the leftover glue was a pain to remove from the tire. The second set I cut the tire as close to the wheel as possible, kind of a pull and cut method. I saw a video of Hara doing this to change foams. I then put the wheels straight in the acetone, next day the leftover rubber and glue wiped off with a paper towel perfectly. Tires glued back up fine but have not run them yet. If you don't need the tires I'd recommend just cutting them off, remove the foam and soak. Wheels come out like new except for the pipe scratches.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys! I am going to give it a shot.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Tupperware Man!!

Grab some of your old lady's cheap tupperware. Here is a quick way to do a set in about 2 hours. First get something rectangular with a flat bottom. Pour just enough acetone to get the sidewalls wet and nothing more. Massage your foams over to one side of the rim-bands/tape help to keep it there. Then place the tires in and put the lid on. Come back in a hour pull the tires and place on a old rag/papertowel to soak any leftover acetone. You should be able to pull one side off and fold back to get the foams out. Now you can add more acetone to soak the other side since the foams are out. No need to spend days.

Last edited by JonnyW; 03-15-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Tupperware, now we were talking. Good idea.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default tires

wait untill the old lady is gone for an hour, open the window and throw the wheel and tires in the oven on the bake rack at 350 for 5 min and your done
Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Tried that in the past. She is on to me.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

A 1-gallon paint can works too. It's metal, air tight and your wife won't retaliate by maxing out your credit card.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i Use the opaque lucerne IceCream container's and have never had an issue.