Wiki Posts
Search

clutch breaking springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default clutch breaking springs

my clutch had a hanging shoe twice today (dynamite max life, 1.0 springs). and each time the clutch spring had broke on the part that sits in the groove on the flywheel nut. i replaced the spring and it happened again. At the end of the day i was breaking down the clutch to clean the engine and i noticed the shoes were not sitting on the flywheel properly and the shoes were a bit loose on the flywheel. the shoes have a few gallons on them (they do last forever), but they still have a couple gallons left. I think the bottom of the shoe where it spaces it of the flywheel is worn off. It is literally sitting flat on the flywheel.

I could replace the shoes and flywheel, but i don't see a reason for it unless i have too. the pins on the flywheel look a little worn but not near as much as some other flywheels i have.

anyone know what's going on?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
my clutch had a hanging shoe twice today (dynamite max life, 1.0 springs). and each time the clutch spring had broke on the part that sits in the groove on the flywheel nut. i replaced the spring and it happened again. At the end of the day i was breaking down the clutch to clean the engine and i noticed the shoes were not sitting on the flywheel properly and the shoes were a bit loose on the flywheel. the shoes have a few gallons on them (they do last forever), but they still have a couple gallons left. I think the bottom of the shoe where it spaces it of the flywheel is worn off. It is literally sitting flat on the flywheel.

I could replace the shoes and flywheel, but i don't see a reason for it unless i have too. the pins on the flywheel look a little worn but not near as much as some other flywheels i have.

anyone know what's going on?
What kind of springs are they? If there mugen springs I have seen alot of these springs break try a different spring. JMO
Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J.Sears
What kind of springs are they? If there mugen springs I have seen alot of these springs break try a different spring. JMO
well i have had this car for almost 2 years and have never had this happen. besides, what spring would you suggest? i have tried racers edge springs, but those springs are wwaaayyy to tight.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i had the same problem as you a few times, i run the same shoes. i broke 2 sets of mugen springs (1.0) and 1 set of ofna gold springs (1.1). but i have used kyosho 1.0 everytime except the those three times i ran those others so i say use kyosho springs.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i had the same problem as you a few times, i run the same shoes. i broke 2 sets of mugen springs (1.0) and 1 set of ofna gold springs (1.1). but i have used kyosho 1.0 everytime except the those three times i ran those others so i say use kyosho springs.
it weird because i am breaking in a new engine and i am not being hard on the throtle at all. Not even bliping.

btw, i was putting on my flywheel last night and my lug wrench striped out. I had a deep socket and i tried to get on the flywheel nut and it didn't fit inside the pins very well and it might have bent them, but i can't tell.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Do your springs stick out of the clutch shoes when they are on the flywheel? Could it possibly be your clutch bell
Old 03-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by halfman
Do your springs stick out of the clutch shoes when they are on the flywheel? Could it possibly be your clutch bell
1. NO

2. possibly. The clutch is pretty old (racers edge vented tri nitrate). It's possible that the shoes have worn out the clutch bell to the point where the shoes have to go out further and stressing the springs. But the clutch bell would have to be worn to just about nothing. And i have never even heard of that happening.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It very well could be the clutch bell check to see if it has a grove on the inside of it. If it does take a sanding drum and smooth it out.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

yeah, just checked before you suggested it. yup. 2 big grooves. There is a rail in the middle.

but why would that break my spings?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Your springs will get caught in the grooves and snap them. I would suggest you change your bell and your clutch shoes. Your springs should not ever touch the bell. If they do it means you need new shoes
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

you can use the kyosho clutch springs on mugen. they work great and is what i was using last year when the mugen ones were breaking
Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Cough... FIORONI... Cough... Cough...
Old 03-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Cough... FIORONI... Cough... Cough...
Have you tried their new "Vario" Self Ventilating clutch?!?! I think this is going to be my next clutch system!
Attached Thumbnails clutch breaking springs-news-ot-fr111-.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Na, I run the turbo sliding clutches. I wanted to get away from aluminum shoe clutches. The sliding clutch is just a much better design IMO.