Body wraps, whats the point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Body wraps, whats the point?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Paint makes the lexan go weak, laminating the body with a extra layer will increase the strenght and the lexan will keep it's flexibility:

Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

yeah what he said
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Check out Fastlane Graphix (http://shop.fastlanegear.com/main.sc) and you will probablly change your mind about wraps looking "dull" or like "rubbish". Chad does custom stuff as well that only YOU will have.

We have all had paint jobs we think are cool until you see another car just like it, or one of the locals at your track decides to paint one just like it. These custom wraps could only be replicated by the best of painters for double the price........and you still wouldn't have the option of getting your starter box, pit board, radio, etc etc etc to match the cars you race.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdbias
Check out Fastlane Graphix (http://shop.fastlanegear.com/main.sc) and you will probablly change your mind about wraps looking "dull" or like "rubbish". Chad does custom stuff as well that only YOU will have.

We have all had paint jobs we think are cool until you see another car just like it, or one of the locals at your track decides to paint one just like it. These custom wraps could only be replicated by the best of painters for double the price........and you still wouldn't have the option of getting your starter box, pit board, radio, etc etc etc to match the cars you race.
+1
Old 03-12-2010, 03:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Here are my concerns with body wraps and why I dont use them.

-There is gaps of body everywhere. In order to hide these gaps, you find yourself painting the body a solid color and/or a 2-tone color anyways...

-Im all about perfection, and having the corner edges or even the straightline edges peel up is an eye sore.

-Eventually and/or sometimes... Dirt/liquid gets behind the skin and starts to deactivate the adhesive.

*I would definately use wraps as far as soldering/ott lights/temp guns/name decals/radios/regular decals though....*

I think a painted body will last longer then a wrapped one.. atleast in my own experience.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdbias

Hehehehe, this is funny, what if someone buys the wrap you just bought, I dont see the difference. Actually the chances of a copy are greater with the wrap than with paint.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sam-E
Hehehehe, this is funny, what if someone buys the wrap you just bought, I dont see the difference. Actually the chances of a copy are greater with the wrap than with paint.
Caseys is a custom job done by ChickenHead... so there won't be a exact copy unless another guy does a wrap just like... But Chad, we all know that never happens right

-DC-
Old 03-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sam-E
Nope, you tell Chad what you want, he will make it. Check out the fastlane thread and see if you can find two of the same........

This will be my 3rd year using wraps. I have never had a problem with wraps whether installing or having the ends come up. Yes I do paint the body one color. And yes about a 6 pack of beer and its on, but if you know how to paint. It takes way more than a 6 pack. The wrap makes my body last longer, hell I can still run the same body after last season, yes its beat up, but still strong. I am very excited to get Chads wrap. The one he makes for one of our local pros is dialed......
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Check out Chad`s work . He does the best and will custom make wraps to your design . If he could do a brighter orange I`d still be getting wraps from him .

Bart , paint does not make lexan weak Wrecking and getting hit by another cars does .
Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
Check out Chad`s work . He does the best and will custom make wraps to your design . If he could do a brighter orange I`d still be getting wraps from him .
We are still discussing that buddy.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

LMK if it happens .
Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

So for those of you who have done the wraps, do you ever have issue with them starting to peel off ?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I kind of agree about the wraps. Don't get me wrong, they do look very nice, but when they cost as much as a professional paint job, it makes you wonder why you wouldn't just go with paint. I understand when it's a simple $30 off the shelf wrap to get something more interesting that a single color paint job, but if you are spending $60 or so on a wrap you could have some really nice paint. My guy charges $55 for buggies and $65 for truggies and I get some high quality work.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by casevac
Not flaming here, seriously.

Its hard to get them on, nicely at least. They cost the same as a custom paint job or 10 cans of tamiya paint and it still isnt custom. Its heavier than a heavy-duty body.

What's the point?
if you dont see a point, dont buy them
Old 03-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I love it, if you guys want to see a real flame war go to an airplane forum and read about kits vs arfs. I fly arf's myself and barely have enough time to build them, guys say I am missing the point of the hobby by not building from a kit. I say really? I thought the whole point of rc planes was flying.

I love the paint jobs some of you guys do on here, and you guys defenitly deserve more credit than you get, but I dont have the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.