R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Whats the best 1/8 Scale Nitro Buggy for a beginner for a reasonable price? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/377955-whats-best-1-8-scale-nitro-buggy-beginner-reasonable-price.html)

PPlevel625 03-08-2010 11:54 AM

Whats the best 1/8 Scale Nitro Buggy for a beginner for a reasonable price?

I am looking to get an 1/8 scale Buggy for the outdoor season coming up soon but im stumped on which to get, where to get it, what servos to run in it, what motor to get, what fuel to run, and just about everything to do with nitro.. This would be my first purchase into it and i would love if someone would gimme the 411 on the subject. Thanks!!! :nod:

Quad Racer 34 03-08-2010 12:03 PM

the losi is the best package deal out there right now. starter box, awesome radio, awesome car, good motor. its pricey but well worth it.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box

and then theres the RC8 RTR RS. its really good buggy as well but less of a deal. cheaper but not near as good of a radio and no starter box.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Spec-RTR-Buggy

PPlevel625 03-08-2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34 (Post 7107581)
the losi is the best package deal out there right now. starter box, awesome radio, awesome car, good motor. its pricey but well worth it.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box

and then theres the RC8 RTR RS. its really good buggy as well but less of a deal. cheaper but not near as good of a radio and no starter box.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Spec-RTR-Buggy

thanks :) I have my own radio from electric indoor so thats not a huge issue. I see alot of Losi 8ight rollers and RC8 rollers for decent prices... I'm sure i can get a motor for relatively cheap from my LHS but the issues are servos, fuel, and parts. Which is more durable (beings that im a beginner), which is more forgiving, which would be easy on parts to get?

jmaxey51 03-08-2010 12:16 PM

a jammin x1 RTR is great, i have won many club races when i started with the X1. i now have a X2 but im selling both the X1 and X2 conversion together just to get something new but great buggies and extremely durable, i have yet to have a DNF with jammin, they never break and the parts hardly get any wear or slop, they last forever.

Quad Racer 34 03-08-2010 12:19 PM

honestly do not buy cheap servos! i made the mistake last year and went though about 4 or 5 JR st126 servos because i didnt want to spend a lot of money up front on a servo.. but in the long run i spent more than i needed too. so get good servos from the get go. im getting a hobbico CS-170 servo, Hitec makes it and its the same thing as the Hitec 7955TG. it just has a different sticker on the top and costs less. and the warranty will take a little more time than the hitecs. but a guy at the track runs the hobbico that i described and he has ran it for 2 years now and barely any slop at all.

and team associated and losi are probably the easiest to get parts for, depending on what your local hobby store carries. losi seems to wear more. my personal preference is team associated. they both are durable. fuel: i like byrons. i used to run o donnell and switch to byrons and will never switch again. it runs great in my engines and is easy to tune with it stays cool. and then just stock up on the basic parts like, a arms, rod ends, and the stuff that normally would give u fits if u wreck. hope my advice helps!

oh and dont just buy any used engine!! unless you know the person and know they take care of their engine. i have seen to many poeple buy used engines and them turning out to be almost junk or needing re pinched. the seller tends to describe it better than it really is lol.

THE PHILLY JYNX 03-08-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by PPlevel625 (Post 7107542)
I am looking to get an 1/8 scale Buggy for the outdoor season coming up soon but im stumped on which to get, where to get it, what servos to run in it, what motor to get, what fuel to run, and just about everything to do with nitro.. This would be my first purchase into it and i would love if someone would gimme the 411 on the subject. Thanks!!! :nod:

If you need just a buggy for the price get the hotboddies.It sounds like you need a complete setup to go racing so i would go with the losi 2.0 rtr.The servos in the rtr are not the best and they will need to be replaced sooner than later.The losi also takes about a gallon of fuel before it loosens up and the twitchyness goes away,then they settle in nicely:nod:
As a combo package You can't beet the 2.0 package deals!

JAMMINKRAZY 03-08-2010 12:33 PM

Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR. Nuff said.;)

Lots of local support for you too. A lot of guys run losi at McCullough's, myself included.

geejay 03-08-2010 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 7107693)

Lots of local support for you too. A lot of guys run losi at McCullough's, myself included.

and one hitec 7599 servos..... LOSI

PPlevel625 03-08-2010 12:40 PM

Thank you for the advice everyone :) i have heard great things of the losi 8ight, and the ae rc8. My dad has the SH z-car but its the biggest pain for parts and my local hobby shop has pretty much every AE part you can think of and a huge selection on tires. The servos i'll have to look into but i appreciate all the help and good luck to all the racers going into outdoor!!! :nod:

PPlevel625 03-08-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 7107693)

Thanks, and i run McCullough's Indoor Corr Truck right now... Hopefully i'll see you in the outdoor season!!

RAlmeida 03-08-2010 12:51 PM

Can't go wrong with a Losi 2.0 RTR, best starter package out there, and they are a dime a dozen at the track, so you know there is support.

madweazl 03-08-2010 12:52 PM

If the radio you have now is better than the Losi RTR equipment, keep that and trade/sell the DX3S for a good servo.

I've been very happy with my RTR buggy. It is by far the best bang for the buck in the RC world.

PPlevel625 03-08-2010 12:53 PM

Sounds like the Losi is the way to go then... Once again thanks for the help and advice!! Now if only I can find one in my price range... lol ;)

Akhor 03-08-2010 12:58 PM

Right now Losi has a mail in rebate going.. So that may help your decision... Check their site. However it may only be for their race roller products. I can not remember off the top of my head.

PPlevel625 03-08-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Akhor (Post 7107807)
Right now Losi has a mail in rebate going.. So that may help your decision... Check their site. However it may only be for their race roller products. I can not remember off the top of my head.

thanks, will do... Ohh and alot of the info everyone has been saying is about all the package deals and what they come with... My price range would most likely only get me a roller. So, that said which roller is best??