Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why is there a weight limit? >

Why is there a weight limit?

Why is there a weight limit?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Why is there a weight limit?

This is a question I have been scratching my head about, why is there a weight limit in racing Rc? I understand a fuel limit because it serves a purpose but a weight limit is kinda stupid if u ask me cause alot of Cars r over weight and a few r under so it doesn't balance anything out like fuel limits do. I don't no if i'm sounding like an idiot but it sure does confuse me why we need weight limits in almost any motor sport.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

to help keep the playing field fair and level
Old 03-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

I think the general idea is to try to keep cost down. Meaning, if you have a truck load of money to poor into the hobby, you can make a ridiculously light buggy....vs. the guy who doesn't have that kinda cash to put into it. Sound's kinda ridiculous because most ppl put a lot of money into this already. But imagine how much more expensive it could get if you were making everything out of titanium and other super light weight materials.

There's also a maximum weight too. That's just for safety reasons.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
I understand a fuel limit because it serves a purpose .
Lighter car can get better mileage as well
Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

a lighter car can accelerate faster, therefore it can be faster.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
And jump farther.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Champion

but ive heard this a lot,
losi jumps better then most,

and from my experience, losi is a heavier car out of them
Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
Ok I understand what ur saying but rules are not to restrict a person from becoming faster, like fuel tank limits everyone to 125cc but still u can have an engine that goes 2 minutes longer then another engine, the same applies to me u should be able to have ur car lighter then another competitors car if u choose to spend the money. I mean seriously how r we going to get better/lighter product for our cars when there's a weight limit lol
Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

You worry about weight limit? What about aerodinamics, engine, eng. tune, chasis set up, DRIVER skills. This are the thing that make you faster. I guess this come down to who know how to set things up . For my this is more important than weight. A few oz. wont make a difference if you realy thing about everything mention.MHO
Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VWVR6_T
You worry about weight limit? What about aerodinamics, engine, eng. tune, chasis set up, DRIVER skills. This are the thing that make you faster. I guess this come down to who know how to set things up . For my this is more important than weight. A few oz. wont make a difference if you realy thing about everything mention.MHO
So true cause you could give the lighest best buggy out there and i would not be first doubt id make the a main reason be i only been behind the wheel about 2 hours total over the course of 1 1/2 years so yeah im not very good

i did ok my last race i finished about 16th and i blew my motor but there was only 24 of us racing

point is that skill is a big factor and tuning the car to driver style and in some cases i believe that a heavier car can be faster this seems backwards right but if the track is a lil loose then in theroy the heaver cars tires are pressed on the ground harder getting better traction causeing acceleration so not always a lighter car be faster maybe for a drag strip im just sayin
Old 03-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Have you ever thought that the car could be too light and not hook up? Depending on track of course.

But the rule is there just to keep it competitive and somewhat cost effective. It's already pretty though and expensive on some cars to get the weight down to 3200 grams. I'm just lazy and leave mine where it's at.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Tech Prophet

to me a lighter buggy or truggy can be bad, for centain tracks espially on rough rutty blown out, tracks makes it less stable. and harder to drive if you ask me. i dont think the eight is that, heavy really and yes it just floats in the air. it jumps nice
Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by VWVR6_T
I'll tell u strait up a good driver will make a lighter buggy/truggy go faster then a heavier buggy/truggy I can tell u from PERSONAL experience in many motorsports that Lighter equipment is much easier to handle, I grew up riding bikes and when I got on big bikes as an amateur I road a works 125 then when I became pro I road a factory Ktm 125 and I will tell u right now even with 125cc bikes the factory bike was much much lighter and was 10 times easier to ride, now racing 250s sx and 450 outdoors I always tell my team to make my bike lighter and lighter so why would u expect a heavier car would ever b better. IMO make it lighter and u will have a much easier time driving and because of less weight means less impact if u ever jump wrong meaning less broken parts and less overall wear on almost every part (engine, tires, drivetrain ect...)

Am I wrong lol
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Tech Lord

Beside that all, it is also a selfprotect for the driver. I know a lot of drivers who are sensitive for words like "light", "tuned", "fast", "teamspec", "options" etc. Those guys are willing to spend tons of dollars to get it all while they are not able to drive one lap flawless.
You can not buy lower laptimes if you do not know how to setup a car and can not drive good laptimes!

I think a guy like Drake with a stock RTR HPI Trophy can even outperform a starting driver with the best car arround with all options making it underweight and with the best engine to get.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 AM
am
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
I'll tell u strait up a good driver will make a lighter buggy/truggy go faster then a heavier buggy/truggy I can tell u from PERSONAL experience in many motorsports that Lighter equipment is much easier to handle, I grew up riding bikes and when I got on big bikes as an amateur I road a works 125 then when I became pro I road a factory Ktm 125 and I will tell u right now even with 125cc bikes the factory bike was much much lighter and was 10 times easier to ride, now racing 250s sx and 450 outdoors I always tell my team to make my bike lighter and lighter so why would u expect a heavier car would ever b better. IMO make it lighter and u will have a much easier time driving and because of less weight means less impact if u ever jump wrong meaning less broken parts and less overall wear on almost every part (engine, tires, drivetrain ect...)

Am I wrong lol
Yes, you are.

As stated before, the lightest car will be faster on a given track but not on all tracs. My Crono RS3 some years ago i did get down to 3010grams. That car was 0,5 seconds slower than my practice car witch was 3300 grams. Even working on the suspension for a whole weekend, the heavy car was still faster and way! easyer to drive.

Chad Bradley when running Mugen used NiMhi batteries instead of Lipo because it made the car "slower" in the long run, feeling of the car was changed.

You forget that it is not given that lightest is better, it depends on design of the car and whitch type of racing.

A light bike is just wonderfull when climbing long mountains, but Armstrong and the pro cyclists use differnt frames ( read weight) for different stages of tour de france. If going downhill alot and not any climbs, they use a stiffer and heavier fram because it is more stable and you can go fatser downhill..

Last edited by am; 03-05-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: writing errors

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.