Wiki Posts
Search

Which Engine out of these 2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Which Engine out of these 2?

I am wondering which engine you would choose for your 1/8th buggy out of these 2

Team Losi 8ight 2.0 350 engine motor .21

or

Alpha 5port .21 bump start engine

any help would be great. I am going to buy one of these engines just dont no which one.

cheers
Old 12-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yuppi1
I am wondering which engine you would choose for your 1/8th buggy out of these 2

Team Losi 8ight 2.0 350 engine motor .21

or

Alpha 5port .21 bump start engine

any help would be great. I am going to buy one of these engines just dont no which one.

cheers
Neither, a Werks B5.......
Old 12-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

i am in australia and cant find one of those? Do you have any idea where i could get one?

Is there something wrong with those engines?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i am in australia and cant find one of those? Do you have any idea where i could get one?

Not a thing wrong with either of them. Both are good engines. The Alpha is probably a bit more powerful. The Losi is probably significantly less expensive.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've had some issues with the Losi vapor locking on hot days after it runs out of fuel. But otherwise it's a good motor. It holds its tune amazingly well.

I've moved on to motors with a little more power, but it still is in my bag ready to go in as a backup.

You might see if you can get a Novarossi 3 port. Powerhouse (here on the board) is selling the N21R through the end of the year for less than the Losi 350.

Last edited by AndrewClaycomb; 12-24-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

werks b5, i had a issue with a motor and ron took care of me. cant beat it and the price is right!
Old 12-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Not a thing wrong with either of them. Both are good engines. The Alpha is probably a bit more powerful. The Losi is probably significantly less expensive.
+1 ... i can say i have run with a buddy all this year ..he has run the 350 losi all year ..no flames no tuning issues about 7 minutes of run time allthough could be more ...good mtr for the money ...heard good things about alpha ..never seen or tried one
Old 12-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Have you looked at the Go Engines ?

Very impressed with my 5port
Old 12-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The losi 350 is a pretty good motor. The alpha Ive read good things about but no experience with one. My buddy has a novarossi plus 4 and that thing is a killer motor. But the 3 port nova is suppose to be pretty good also.There selling the new N21R limited version on e-bay for 149 and free shipping. Werks B5 can be purshased from A-main hobbies
Old 12-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Default which exhuast?

thanks for all replies

I can get the losi motor for $199 australian and the alpha for $190

Also which pipe would i run with this motor?

this will be my first race engine and first season racing

cheers
Old 12-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have personally ran the Losi 350, and now the Alpha F850 (5 port). The Losi ran better than I had expected, but lacked power that I am used to. Run time was about 7.5 minutes. Mine was running the stock head button, but you can add the turbo button which I hear helps.

The Alpha F850 is a different animal. Power is amazing, and run time is an easy 9+. 10+ with a good tune, and pipe. Power delivery with the F850 is very smooth.

Do some research on both. There is plenty of info out there. Alpha is new to the market, so of course there are some hesitations by some, but I have been watching them, and now run one. I am personally very happy I chose the Alpha, and will be running the s852 in my truggy.

Good luck with your research.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Out of the 2 listed I would probably go with the Orion. However the Odonnell SS .21 is in that price range also and I think it's an awesome engine for the price. Do some research and see what pipes work well on each and maybe that will help you decide because that would save you some bucks. Here is a link to the Odonnell SS .21 thread and as you will read my experiences aren't alone everyone seems to love them!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...t-21-a-28.html
Old 12-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

The Team Orion Alpha ABI is the highest quality engine for your money that you will find, but it needs to be broken in properly for at least a gallon, maybe two. Watch out when you buy an "Alpha" engine, you need to make sure it's Team Orion. The other one is a Taiwanese or Chinese engine, the Team Orion engine is Italian.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by pitpop
The Team Orion Alpha ABI is the highest quality engine for your money that you will find, but it needs to be broken in properly for at least a gallon, maybe two. Watch out when you buy an "Alpha" engine, you need to make sure it's Team Orion. The other one is a Taiwanese or Chinese engine, the Team Orion engine is Italian.
The main thing is to watch out for are those over priced engines that take $35-70 worth of fuel to break in just so you can use it.

But if your into buying Ferraris, Cesare Paciotti shoes, Baroni Uomo suits or any other expensive Italian made items.....

Save your money and time and buy yourself the Alpha Plus 5 port.

It will run just as fast, out last and get better fuel mileage for much less.

And in the long run when it comes time to replace parts, you have a great distributor there in Australia that carries them and they are 60%+ cheaper than their higher priced Italian counter parts.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Tech Regular

thats a load of bull the team orion motors are alot cheaper than most motors especialy with the quality you get id rather pay 330 for a quality reliable motor over a cheap import like the alpha plus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.