Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
rc problem, need help! >

rc problem, need help!

rc problem, need help!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default rc problem, need help!

yesterday i was running my 1/8 truck and out of no where the steering was locking up on me, it would vary back and forth and then finally wouldnt steer. It would turn one way and then lock into place? Is it that the servo is bad? I already changed the batteries and that wasnt the problem.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chomp_storm
yesterday i was running my 1/8 truck and out of no where the steering was locking up on me, it would vary back and forth and then finally wouldnt steer. It would turn one way and then lock into place? Is it that the servo is bad? I already changed the batteries and that wasnt the problem.
yup ur servo is gone
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Make sure you servo saver is still good. It could be stripped.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Rookie

how do i check to see if its good but stripped.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

The part that connects on to the servo called the servo horn. Take off the screw that holds the horn on the servo and pull it off. Check to see if the splines on the servo are in good condition and not stripped out. What you describe happening is very common when they strip.

Also what vehicle do you happen to have?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Rookie

okay i pulled that apart and the splines seem ok. The upsetting part about this was that i just got the car out for the first time....i was on the last engine break in process and bam you shall not pass! the truck is an exceed madstorm1/8...so since they're not stripped its just a bad servo?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

i can explain this....when i turn the truck on i turn the wheels it goes left, but when turning right it stops straight and then makes a cranking noise!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

If it is not the servo horn then most likely it is. Pull the servo out of the car but keep it hooked up to the receiver. Move the steering to see how the servo is.

I am taking it you have already check the steering tie rods, etc.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Also, check and make sure the foam on the wheel of the transmitter is not touching the the body of the transmitter.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

While you have the linkage horn off the servo - see if the gear moves in both directions. It might move but might not. If it does, yet does not move with the linkage on. Most likely you have some internal servo gears stripped.

Most servo's are serviceable, so the next question is what brand servo?

Another test you can do - is swap the servo with the throttle servo. If the throttle servo acts up in the steering servo slot on the receiver it possible that you may have a bad receiver. If you swap the servo slots in the receiver and it works fine. Then it will be something in the servo.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Rookie

yeah it mover with linkage off. just when the servo is on then it moves left but to the right it gets jammed and makes a clicking sound like its stuck. it pisses me off, cause im new to the nitro stuff and the first day of use the servo goes out! damn you servo! do you think its just best to buy a new one from the same company or get a better quality from another hobbie site. I live in a small city about 1 1/2 hrs from vegas so there are no hobby stores here! vegas is the closest place. i dont want to break anything or mess it up worse than it is.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chomp_storm
yeah it mover with linkage off. just when the servo is on then it moves left but to the right it gets jammed and makes a clicking sound like its stuck. it pisses me off, cause im new to the nitro stuff and the first day of use the servo goes out! damn you servo! do you think its just best to buy a new one from the same company or get a better quality from another hobbie site. I live in a small city about 1 1/2 hrs from vegas so there are no hobby stores here! vegas is the closest place. i dont want to break anything or mess it up worse than it is.
Hmm, apparently that car comes with a metal geared steering servo (which generally are quite strong). However what you are describing sounds exactly like what you would expect from a stripped servo. When i say stripped, i mean the internal gears of the servo are most likely stripped. This commonly occurs after a high speed head on impact on the front wheels (That how i killed my plastic geared servo anyway )

Check out this webiste. http://www.kronosrobotics.com/an116/GAN116_3003.htm

It's not the same servo as yours, but will be pretty much the same for what you need. Open the servo case from the four screws at the bottom (as shown in step 1 on the webiste) and then inspect the gears (that are visible in Step 2) These gears in step 2 are likely the ones that are stripped.

If you do find your servo has stirpped gears, i'd simply buy a new one. Most servos are generally good enough for your needs (assuming you just bash, and don't race with your car). Just make sure you buy a metal geared servo, good servos generally go for about AUD$90. If you can't afford that then yeah just buy a few cheap plastic geared servos (around AUD$20 each) and just swap them out as you break them

EDIT: ohh, and when purchasing your new servo, you should check out what spline you have... apparently a little googling reveals the spline you have at the moment is a Futaba spline (has 25teeth). You may want to take time to count how many teeth your current servo has. If your current servo horn is fine (the thing that you conenct onto the servo) then jsut buy a new servo with a futaba spline and you can drop the new one in and it'll fit onto your existing horn. If you buy a servo with a different spline (say you buy a 23teeth servo) you will then also need to buy a new servo horn, with the same amount of teeth as the servo you buy. It may be worth while calling the nearest hobby shop and they should be able to help you out with it all

Hope it helps.

Last edited by LordAnubis; 02-21-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Rookie

thank you for the detailed explanation of the servo problem..everyone has been helpful with this problem so far...i do believe the servo is stripped on the inside everything else works like it should.
do you think i should buy another one from the site i got the truck, or do you think it will be a piece of crap like this one...or possibly a fluke with a proken part. like i said it was the first time i used the car and whammy servo is dead!
Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Looks like your going to be buy a servo soon. Honestly your servo endpoints may have been to high which put a lot of stress on it causing it to blow or you strip the gears. Either way you will be on Amain or at your local hobby shop buying a servo, or waiting three weeks for Futaba to send you another one (if its still covered under war.)