Long term health risks of racing nitro

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long term health risks of racing nitro

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

As a person with asthma, I've been thinking about this for a while. The conclusion I've come to is that you probably inhale more carcinogens and other chemicals from the person smoking next to you in the pits... and if you smoke, you're most definitely getting more chemicals out of the ass-end of a cigarette than you would during a day of racing.

just my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phaqu22
I love nitro so much I pour it on my pillow and dream about racing!
+1!!

I thought I was the only one who did that!!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Biggest risk is the "significant other" may get annoyed with the time and money you spend and beat you over the head with a pan/rolling pin/etc.

Castor oil is a diuretic. Ever notice you have to visit the crapper more frequently after racing nitro? Enough castor oil fumes will give you the "squirts." No long-term risk though.

And you are stiff and sore from standing all day and running/bending/etc when marshalling. It is an unusual exercise (not in amount, but in the motions you do.)
Old 02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I'll take a 2 year cut in life for about 35 years of fun doing this. Ofcourse iv only done this 6 years now so who knows in 6 years I mite not be doing this or in 6 years we might all be stuck charging lipos and tuning our speed controls. Hell we mite all die in 2012 who knows the future all I can say is worry about it later have fun now as long as u arnt sticking needles in ur veins or smoking those cancer sticks I think u will be fine.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Biggest risk is the "significant other" may get annoyed with the time and money you spend and beat you over the head with a pan/rolling pin/etc.

Castor oil is a diuretic. Ever notice you have to visit the crapper more frequently after racing nitro? Enough castor oil fumes will give you the "squirts." No long-term risk though.

And you are stiff and sore from standing all day and running/bending/etc when marshalling. It is an unusual exercise (not in amount, but in the motions you do.)

boy i cant say i ever had to go to, the crapper cause of running nitro lol.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
I'll take a 2 year cut in life for about 35 years of fun doing this. Ofcourse iv only done this 6 years now so who knows in 6 years I mite not be doing this or in 6 years we might all be stuck charging lipos and tuning our speed controls. Hell we mite all die in 2012 who knows the future all I can say is worry about it later have fun now as long as u arnt sticking needles in ur veins or smoking those cancer sticks I think u will be fine.

who knows what kind of inprovements ,nitro engines will have in 6 years there might be, totally diffrent engines.im noticeing that companys are making better runtime and more, power into engines. we will see
Old 02-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

This is such a good topic. With all the different people in our industry and what they know and their professions we could talk about this all day. I personnaly think the level of any type of chemical is ok as long as long term exposure to high levels are kept to a minimum. I mean you are not going to hook up a tube to your exhaust and breath it. But at some point as a nitro racer you are going to get blasted in the face and inhale some fumes. Ive been to indoor kart and full size car races and the run 100% methanol. I know people who were sick for days after that. Ive also been to indoor r/c races and the worst ive seen is nasty black snot for a day or 2. Basicly what Im trying to say is in moderation, I dont think long term affects are something to worry about.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)
Default .

We can always use Parma Speed Scent which has different flavor we can smell instead of the nitro burning. I used to use it when i first started running nitro because the smell of nitro use to burn my eyes and i couldnt smell it. But i got use to it now.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ent+&search=Go
Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
yea but who wants to ware a mask while racing indoors, i much rather just race a electric car.
id take a mask over an electric car nothing compares to racing a nitro

Originally Posted by Sam-E
It is very much like what your mum said about masturbation, if you do it too often you will go blind...
+2

Originally Posted by turner2
the smell of the fuel is what keeps me coming back lol. whenever i smell burnt methanol i know theres something fast in the area. wether it be full scale or toy cars. take a big wiff of that and you know its a good day. thats why i dont race electric. its just not fun if its not burining your eyes and nose haha.
Glad that im not the only one with this problem

Originally Posted by DOMIT

Yes i agree the biggest risk is the siginficant other
Old 02-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would be more concerned with Carbon Monoxide and not just from the cars at an indoor track but also from the torpedo heaters at an indoor track.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by MontanaMaxx
id take a mask over an electric car nothing compares to racing a nitro

+2

Glad that im not the only one with this problem

Yes i agree the biggest risk is the siginficant other

thats just me if i was racing indoor ,offroad i would want to race a slash . i can get headaces easy thats why. i would do electric for, indoor my nitro is the #1 choice for running outdoors.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

try racing MX indoors. it makes the RC headaches feel like a walk in the park. IMOP if you love what your doing who gives a rip.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

lets just keep this thread from al gore,he will somehow profit from this
Old 02-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

How about hearing lost?
Some of these indoor tracks have the pits and stageing area rite next to the track. Bu you will never hear me complaing
Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Gearhead racer
How about hearing lost?
Some of these indoor tracks have the pits and stageing area rite next to the track. Bu you will never hear me complaing

hey its no worse than haveing rap or heavy, metal blairing in your car! image sitting in the back seat with the, speakers that loud lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.