R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Long term health risks of racing nitro (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/369210-long-term-health-risks-racing-nitro.html)

matrixmike28 02-09-2010 04:35 PM

In my non RC life I am an Industrial Hygienist. My job is to make sure the chemicals that people work with will not harm them either acutely (now)or over a long term exposure (chronic). This is done by either limiting the exposure time to certain chemicals or making sure that the proper respiratory protection is worn.

The only air contaminant in the fuel we use is Nitromethane. OSHA has a grading system that is used to tell you how long it is safe to be around certain chemicals at a certain strength. This is called the Permissible exposure limit (PEL). FYI Nitro is a considered a carcinogen. (causes cancer)

The PEL for Nitro is 100ppm. over an 8hr TWA at 99% What does that mean??? :weird:

Basically in a nut shell it means that over an 8 hour period of time you can breathe in 100 parts of 99% pure nitromethane for every million parts of air you breathe.

Now you must remember that the fuel is generally only 30% nitro and most of the running we do is outdoors. 100ppm is a lot, it is highly unlikely that even at an indoor race you are getting even close to that. However I would not recommend tuning your motor in the garage with the doors closed.

Oh I forgot to mention most of the nitro is burned up before it ever leaves the exhaust. Most of the smoke you breathe in is from caster oil which is not known to be dangerous.

easyryder 02-09-2010 05:12 PM

Race on!!

revodragon 02-09-2010 05:26 PM

it seems like everything that is fun in this world is bad for you or the environment let's not talk about it or they'll take it away!
Race on!!!

tc5 man 02-09-2010 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by revodragon (Post 6982505)
it seems like everything that is fun in this world is bad for you or the environment let's not talk about it or they'll take it away!
Race on!!!

yea good idea or the goverment jackasses will take it away from us.

Kalgard Racing 02-09-2010 06:10 PM

I hope RC Nitro never hits TV or the BIG time. Just like choppers did a few years back, we used to build whatever we wanted as a custom, then the EPA came it and set rules for pipes, charcoal canisters, and even how many EPA excempt bikes you can own and sell in a lifetime. FTG "F$%^ the Gov't"

They even had a rule that if you bought a EPA excemt bike, you could not sell it for 5 years.....even if you died.....you family coulb not sell it. No shit!!! I am not kidding.

My point.....lets keep this on the low down! LOL

http://www.nycchoppers.com/law.htm

porkchop 02-09-2010 06:22 PM

i race nitro indooor yay i got a nice cough for a few days and my body sore and stiff.

but gusse what buggy grip is hard on the body then going to race nitro.

we have a rc track here with real heat in so it not open with torpedo heaters ever where and gusse what we had ppl geting hard to breath headacks at school hearts geting wores ppl geting vertgo

i race once since jan and i been sick since and starting to get better

btw buggy grip been banned

Jerm13 02-09-2010 06:25 PM

If you read the warning labels on all the fuel jugs nowadays it says
"This product is known to cause cancer in the state of California"
Good thing I live on the east coast!:ha::ha:

Sylvain 02-09-2010 06:31 PM

LOL :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nitro exhaust can not be worst than what the guy next table of you smoke !

Seriously, I'm not sure nitro smoke is safe for the health and I'm not sure all nitro is burnt when it comes out of the tuned pipe.

az00lude 02-09-2010 06:37 PM

bad for you

Just look at MSDS for methanol and nitromethane.

vivid concepts 02-09-2010 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jerm13 (Post 6982855)

Everything that's sold in Cali has that label on it...

smokinu 02-09-2010 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jerm13 (Post 6982855)

Originally Posted by vivid concepts (Post 6982992)
Everything that's sold in Cali has that label on it...

i was about to say that.

i bought a pair of needle nose pliers the other day, and i read the warning label, it said

this product may have chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer.

i live RIGHT SMACK dab in the middle of the valley.

willbe 02-09-2010 07:06 PM

Common Sense helps alot. Would you sit inside your garage with the door closed and the weedeater running at 15000 rpm without a mask?

No, CRCRC usually has the doors open or fan to pull out as much smoke as possible. The unknown is the carbon monoxide.

Brain Damage and lung disease will come first. My buddies v-spec actually makes my eyes tear up and my nose burns inside or out if I am close to it tuning.

DOnt worry about looking cool. When in doubt grab a mask. Harbor freight sells a dual carbon cartridge unit for less than 20. You will see the pros wearing one indoors and they drive alot better than us.

RAlmeida 02-09-2010 07:23 PM

listening to the terminator can cause cancer in California

tc5 man 02-09-2010 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kalgard Racing (Post 6982757)
I hope RC Nitro never hits TV or the BIG time. Just like choppers did a few years back, we used to build whatever we wanted as a custom, then the EPA came it and set rules for pipes, charcoal canisters, and even how many EPA excempt bikes you can own and sell in a lifetime. FTG "F$%^ the Gov't"

They even had a rule that if you bought a EPA excemt bike, you could not sell it for 5 years.....even if you died.....you family coulb not sell it. No shit!!! I am not kidding.

My point.....lets keep this on the low down! LOL

http://www.nycchoppers.com/law.htm

yea i wouldnt worry about that,, happening anytime soon in the future... although there is a r/c tv station in europe..

boomgagem 02-09-2010 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyW (Post 6982032)
LENGTH & GIRTH:D

hahaha, thats funny right there