Wiki Posts
Search

Most fuel economical .21

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Most fuel economical .21

Hey guys

Well I am due for a new motor as my current GO 5port has had its time... I am after a motor that can do easily 10mins +... I have a driving technique that requires a lot of trigger (I sort of drift into the corners)...

I am after a Novarossi, OS or the MUGEN/OS .21... Pretty much any quality engine that is good in relaibility (lower chance of flame outs), quality and RUN TIME...

I was getting 8.5mins with a pretty leaned out GO 5port with a 6mm restrictor if that gives you an idea...

The novarossi plus 4 21c has caught my eye along with the mugen/os .21 motor...

Any thought please let me know

Thankyou
Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Novarossi +4 i have bougt 2 now, after about a gallon and a half with a 6.5 mm restrictor you will get up to 13 minutes run time in a buggy.

Great engine
Old 02-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Nova 4-family is hard to beat overall.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Which clutch setups should i be looking for also as I have always had problems with over sprung and not sprung enough clutch setups? I am looking for a good overall clutch that lasts and is of good quality?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

There isn't an engine made that's going to get you 10 minutes of run time when you're driving like that. You need to roll through the corners without all the fanfare of throwing dirt all over the place in every corner. It will RARELY get you the fastest run, and it's simply wasting fuel.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

I drive extremely close to Ryan Lutz's driving style and have honestly improved my time WAY more than when i was rolling the corners... Lutz's driving style influenced me and has worked wonders but am now after a motor that can handle the 10min mark with driving it hard...
Old 02-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

LOL! Funny you mention Ryan. I worked with Ryan for about 3 years and pitted for him in most of his early races. Ryan is an exceptionally talented driver - probably one of the most naturally talented drivers of any current driver. It's what allows him to drive like that and still stay at at the front of the pack. If I can get Ryan to drop in on this thread, he would probably tell you what I'm going to suggest. Driving in that manner is hard on the engine, makes it difficult to keep a good tune, and wastes a lot of fuel. As Ryan has matured in the ranks of the top drivers, his best performances have been when he drives at a more conservative, consistent pace and leaves a little in reserve for when it's really needed... and ONLY when it's really needed. He's become a much smarter, more consistent and more dynamic driver by adding a little more "smooth" to his driving style. One thing I can assure you, however, is that when Ryan's style was all about drifting, he couldn't stretch a tank of fuel beyond 8 minutes. The longest he ever ran on a tank of fuel was 8:30 and that's because I forgot to pit him. He just pulled in to the pits at 8:30 and gave me the stink eye - his engine would have stalled if it ran for another 3 seconds.

I'm not going to tell you how to drive - if you think it's working for you, then go with it, but be satisfied with pitting at 8:00. Perhaps you're not pushing it quite as hard a Ryan can when he's at full noodle, so maybe you can stretch it a little bit, but fuel economy is not in your future. Like Ryan, I think your next evolution as a driver will be to learn to drive at that pace WITHOUT going too deep and backing it into every corner. Drive your real car that way and see what happens to your fuel economy... I'm just sayin.

Having said that, the engines that should get you the best economy are one like the Orion ABI 3-port, Novarossi +4, OS V-Spec, etc. They're all basically 3-port (except for the +4) and may even have conservative port and induction timing that will usually stretch a tank a fuel.

Last edited by SteveP; 02-10-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ebmods js.21 lineup
Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Crashing one less time on the track will help you more then a extra minute of runtime.... Club guys are going way overboard on the mileage thing if you ask me..Untill your running nearly a perfect race you shouldn't be worrying about 1 extra minute of runtime...We are mostly club racers guys, we aren't at the level that runtime matters nearly as much as you think.....
Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RUF-VK
Hey guys

Well I am due for a new motor as my current GO 5port has had its time... I am after a motor that can do easily 10mins +... I have a driving technique that requires a lot of trigger (I sort of drift into the corners)...

I am after a Novarossi, OS or the MUGEN/OS .21... Pretty much any quality engine that is good in relaibility (lower chance of flame outs), quality and RUN TIME...

I was getting 8.5mins with a pretty leaned out GO 5port with a 6mm restrictor if that gives you an idea...

The novarossi plus 4 21c has caught my eye along with the mugen/os .21 motor...

Any thought please let me know

Thankyou

Can you post your engine full setup ?, i usually get up to 10.45 minutes out of my GO .21 5 ports ... and 3 ports its a 10+ engine for sure.

cya
Old 02-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i was only getting like 8 mins out of my go 3 port with a novarossi carb. in my buggy
Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

I would look at the Novarossi plus 4's for sure. Im running a 2009 plus4 and getting 13's give or take a few secs depending on track condition
Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Best fuel economy I have seen has been with the os speed engines. Throw in a 5.5 or 6 restrictor and you still have pleanty of power and you can get 10+. But driving like that idk if any engine will go 10+ min like you want. Spinning your wheels just wastes gas there's no way around it.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Best mileage of anything I have seen is my modified C6..... the thing gets amazing runtimes.... As much as 12 minutes on our Canadian dirt tracks, which suck the fuel...... And not to mention the engine is insanely fast !!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
Crashing one less time on the track will help you more then a extra minute of runtime.... Club guys are going way overboard on the mileage thing if you ask me..Untill your running nearly a perfect race you shouldn't be worrying about 1 extra minute of runtime...We are mostly club racers guys, we aren't at the level that runtime matters nearly as much as you think.....
Fuel matters I have won races by being smart with fuel and I've seen alot of people lose position bc of that extra stop. I go 12 minutes in truggy and 10.5 in buggy (Werks B5). I will agree crashing less is just as important and practice is the most important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.