R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Is the MBX5T still good compition for the newer truggies??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/369029-mbx5t-still-good-compition-newer-truggies.html)

thrash_16 02-08-2010 10:56 PM

Is the MBX5T still good compition for the newer truggies???

I was just wondering cuz i bought one. and im going to start racing it.

Inertia 02-08-2010 11:03 PM

why do people start threads like this after they have bought the car. Does it matter what we say, you all ready have and have to do the best you can with it

thrash_16 02-08-2010 11:10 PM

well i just wanted to know if people are still doing good with this thing. and maybe someone might have some good ideas about updating it so it can be up to par with the new stuff. why do people like you always have to :cry: about things like this??? isnt that what this sites for????

dishsoap 02-08-2010 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by thrash_16 (Post 6978449)
well i just wanted to know if people are still doing good with this thing. and maybe someone might have some good ideas about updating it so it can be up to par with the new stuff. why do people like you always have to :cry: about things like this??? isnt that what this sites for????

Your right this is what this site is for. Ask away!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont run Mugen however I have seen a few people running the older truggy and yes its still competitive.

Someone wise told me that 90% of your set up is from the tires. Make the right tire choice and you should be good.

thrash_16 02-08-2010 11:19 PM

hey thanks man. thats good to know. people like that really get me pissed. if you dont like the thread then dont write on it!!!!

merdith6 02-09-2010 01:02 AM

hello thrasher

I don't see a problem if your new to this type of racing. A few weeks ago I started realizing that in the races like sportsman class there was tons on last generation cars at the track. Heck I still race my 808 08 model it freakin lasts forever if you just take care of it and clean it like you have ocd....Some new parts like bearings, a arms and cvd's will bring your truck up to spec more than any update or optional part. Take it completely apart and check for wear or strange stuff that happens in racing. Go through it with a fine tooth comb. Order any needed stuff from e bay or een a main and so on. you will be competetive if it is greased and oiled and smooth and clean and all the screws are tight. You will at least finish the race and learn more than you thought you would just by taking the time to make it right. Then when your a better driver next year when those new parts are worn you can get the latest model like the mbx6, but for now work on your car and practice.......

jmaxey51 02-09-2010 06:56 AM

i think the MBX5T is still very competitive just like it is. a good tire choice will help tons. this is a great truggy to get started racing. later on you might want to get some 16mm shocks for it, they help alot but the 13mm ones that come with the mugen are actually pretty good but the with the 16mm it will be a more consistent. just try different setups on your truggy and you will be capable of winning later down the road. and maybe next year you might want to get a newer truggy, Maybe MBX7T if they come out with one this year.

Wrencher 02-09-2010 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by merdith6 (Post 6978677)
I don't see a problem if your new to this type of racing. A few weeks ago I started realizing that in the races like sportsman class there was tons on last generation cars at the track. Heck I still race my 808 08 model it freakin lasts forever if you just take care of it and clean it like you have ocd....Some new parts like bearings, a arms and cvd's will bring your truck up to spec more than any update or optional part. Take it completely apart and check for wear or strange stuff that happens in racing. Go through it with a fine tooth comb. Order any needed stuff from e bay or een a main and so on. you will be competetive if it is greased and oiled and smooth and clean and all the screws are tight. You will at least finish the race and learn more than you thought you would just by taking the time to make it right. Then when your a better driver next year when those new parts are worn you can get the latest model like the mbx6, but for now work on your car and practice.......

That was like you were reading my mind!:weird: I'm approaching things the same way, I just bought a thoroughly used (almost used up) MBX5R. It's fully stripped down and new bearings and bushings arrived yesterday. I plan to try a few races, there are no tracks within 90 miles of me so I will get to travel. My thinking is I need to hone my skills before moving to top drawer equipment, plus I may decide the racing just isn't for me (really doubt that)! From what I've seen, it's not always the tool used, but the hand using it.
Tiger Woods could take some clubs from 1892 and whip the dog doo out of me even if I used the latest greatest golf clubs.

Maximo 02-09-2010 07:22 AM

The Mugen 5T is a very good truggy to start with...it handles good and is about as bullet proof as an RC can be... Even tho it may not be as sharp handling as the newest machines the durability and reliability of the 5T will more then make up for it.....Even tho it is an oder design, it was a very very good design, so its no slouch by any means....

DOMIT 02-09-2010 09:21 AM

Here are a few things I learned running the Mugen buggy (MBX5 ProSpec) that might help... worth a shot anyway.

That car had a pronounced tendacy to push. It doesn't have quite as much adjustment as some of the other cars, but there are things you can do to help.

1) Swaybars: On the buggy, the stock front swaybar is too heavy... I suspect the truck is the same. A lighter bar (I made a 1.9mm front bar for my buggy from "music wire" from the local hobby shop- it's in the airplane section) and it helped.

2) You can take away caster- lower arms back, upper arms forward. (careful, this can also make it twitchy at speed... although as docile as the Mugen is, I seriously doubt it will be a problem.

3) Decrease rear traction. You can run less rear toe-in, lighter rear diff fluid, stiffer rear swaybar. NOTE: To make the swaybar stiffer without changing parts, move the swaybar links IN on the bar. To make it softer, move them OUT. But... if it pushes, try making a lighter front bar- it made a huge difference on my Mugen buggy.

That truck is a great quality truck. It may not turn as well as some of the newer ones, but it is very stable and forgiving to drive... and you almost have to TRY to break it to do any damage. It's tough! It will probably last longer than some of the newer trucks. I would say quality wise (fit, quality of parts, durability) it is second only to XRAY. (Ok all you other brand fanbois... I'm just stating MY opinion.)

DOMIT 02-09-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wrencher (Post 6979543)
That was like you were reading my mind!:weird: I'm approaching things the same way, I just bought a thoroughly used (almost used up) MBX5R. It's fully stripped down and new bearings and bushings arrived yesterday. I plan to try a few races, there are no tracks within 90 miles of me so I will get to travel. My thinking is I need to hone my skills before moving to top drawer equipment, plus I may decide the racing just isn't for me (really doubt that)! From what I've seen, it's not always the tool used, but the hand using it.
Tiger Woods could take some clubs from 1892 and whip the dog doo out of me even if I used the latest greatest golf clubs.

:nod: BTW the MBX5 (or ProSpec, or 5R) are just about the best beginner buggy made. VERY easy to drive, it will let you gain some skill without punishing you for your minor mistakes.

DANE_TRAIN 02-09-2010 09:35 AM

Yes the 5t is a good truck to begin with. If you race on a tight indoor track with lots of traction, it might be better than the 6t. If you notice a little on power push, try limiting the front droop more.

d8tforme 02-09-2010 09:37 AM

Those trucks are not outdated like all the other guys it's alot to do with maintaining your truck and another thing is the driver makes the truck go fast not the other way around . Good luck!

token 02-09-2010 09:40 AM

That truck is outdated hinst the 6T.... competitive depends on the class your racing. That truck is heavy, so in a pro class or good intermediate class it may be hard. it is a good truck.. But you better stock up on parts now..

071crazy 02-09-2010 09:56 AM

I've had both the 5t and 6t. Yes, the 6t is a better truggy overall. But, you can get a TON of good racing out of the 5t.

Make sure you get extra cvds, in particular the dogbone. these will snap pretty easily. As long as you got a pretty punchy motor, you'll be fine.