Wiki Posts
Search

glow plug help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)
Default glow plug help

right now i have a losi 8 t with a sh .28 c motor i was using a os a5 plug and burnt 2 of them out quick now i am using a os lc3
does any one have this motor or recomend a plug
i just paid the hobby shop to tune my motor and do a complete run thru
it was a warm day out and when i ran my truck last in colder weather could this be why i burnt my plug
and i herd that u should break the plug in by heating it up and letting it cool a couple times before putting it in is this true
what do u recomend doing before putting a new plug in
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

I personally have never heard of breaking a plug in before you install it. I just check it to make sure it id not bad from the beginning. As far as burning plugs out, how much of a temp difference was it from when they tuned it for you to the time you ran it and blew plugs? I it was hot (say 80 degrees outside) when they tuned it for you and the temp dropped 15 to 20 degrees and the ran it without retuning it, then you were probably running it to lean and that was what caused your plugs to burn out.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

it was maybe a 10 degree diff not shure truck sounded and ran great and the plug was new
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

what should i try richining it a 1/8 th of a turn and go from there i now have a os lc3 havnt used it it tomorrow i will hopefully it was just a wrong size plug or somethin
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

what the hobby shop guy said install the plug and heat and cool it a couple times before starting the motor
i have never broke a plug in just installed but aleays open to tips
Old 04-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Glow plugs are consumable. When the go bad throw them out. There is Jo break in process that is necessary. Take a look at the plug after you have run the engine for awhile. After you install a new plug it will tell you what your engine is doing. If the wire is distorted and clean then the engine is too lean. If the wire is black and all gummed up then the engine is too rich. You want the wire to remain in its original shape and just a little bit of oil or discoloration around the wire. That tip only works after a new plug had been installed but it tells you alot.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What are you using to light the plug? Many power pannels on starter boxxes can supply enough power to burn up a plug element if improperly adjusted. It's best to use a rechargable single cell glow igniter.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John Schafer
What are you using to light the plug? Many power pannels on starter boxxes can supply enough power to burn up a plug element if improperly adjusted. It's best to use a rechargable single cell glow igniter.
i am using a losi glow driver with a 1800mah 1.2 volt rechargeable cell