R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Jammin x1 truggy still competitive or not?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/367829-jammin-x1-truggy-still-competitive-not.html)

KZ 250 02-05-2010 03:10 PM

Jammin x1 truggy still competitive or not??

I have been looking at these for a while and was wondering if they are still competitive with all the other truggies on the market. I am only a club racer and just want to have fun and am on a budget of about $500 to $600.

Thanks
Ryan

hard4nitro 02-05-2010 03:23 PM

I have switched brand after brand after brand and in my opinion the truck is only as good as the driver. When I started 5 years ago there were only 2 really good trucks the jammin x1 and the mugen mbx5T oh yeah and the kyosho was up there also. The really nice thing about the jammin is that it is bullet proof wears great and is a very stable truck.

REMEMBER THIS IS JUST MY OPINION PLEASE NOBODY BURN ME AT THE CROSS

ScottyM 02-05-2010 05:20 PM

Yes they can be..

I ran one all last year, and did decent with it, considering it was my first season racing.. I have since switched to a D8T, and can see the differences in the chassis' and am notibly faster with the Hot Bodies..

So, yeah you can have fun and be competative with the Jammin, but you will be hendered some over the newer streched design truggies. Unless you know of an awesome deal, I would suggest a newer design truggy. But, the Jammin is bullet proof.. Much more so than my Hot Bodies..

FYI if you decide to get a more modern truggy check out the Hot Bodies D8T and SH Z-truggy.. Both very well priced and drive very well..

shanty140 02-05-2010 05:38 PM

If you are just starting the Jammin X1 truggy will be awesome for a beginner. $500-$600 sounds a bit expensive though. You may be better off with a Team Associated RC8T RTR. If you were willing to spend a little more the best bet for a beginner would be Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR. I ran the RTR Losi 8ight-T 2.0 with electric conversion and did well with it and got 2nd in the Canadian Nationals in 1/8th Electric Open against all the higher priced vehicles. Very solid platform to build off of. So my recommendation would be to maybe save up a little more and get the RTR Losi. That way you have the newer design platform and can get the race spec stuff as it breaks or wears out.

When first starting out though, you getting track time will be the best thing you can get. If you are crashing 3-4 times in a 5 min qualifier it doesn't matter if you have a $2000 setup you most likely are not going to win.

jmaxey51 02-05-2010 07:46 PM

you can get a brand new jammin X2 kit off amain for $400. i have had both and they are both great racer but the x2 is a good bit better IMO but the X1 is still a great truggy and can win races with it. i think its 95% driver and 5% car.

mblgjr 02-05-2010 11:08 PM

Can it be competitive at the club level? Yes.

Will you have to wheel it within 9/10th's of it's life to beat a "pretty good" guy with a Losi 2.0 T or newer style Truggy? Yeah; probably.

You should be able to pick up a Jammin' X2 CRT roller for cheap though, which is a noticeably better truck all around than the X1.

RAlmeida 02-06-2010 06:32 AM

$600.00 budget you can not beat the Losi 2.0T RTR, the BEST VALUE PERIOD, decent truck, good radio (dx3s), starter box, fuel filler, igniter, batteries, just add fuel, and you will need to replace the steering servo.
I drive Kyosho, but for someone getting in the hobby Losi 2.0 RTR is the ticket

dortonracing 02-06-2010 06:57 AM

i have a nice factory team x1 truggy for sale ready to race, m8 radio and all pretty cheap, check the forsale. I ran it the last few years and have done just fine, just switched over to RC8t

JAMMINKRAZY 02-06-2010 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by KZ 250 (Post 6962532)
I have been looking at these for a while and was wondering if they are still competitive with all the other truggies on the market. I am only a club racer and just want to have fun and am on a budget of about $500 to $600.

Thanks
Ryan

Um, not really. It really hasn't been up at the top for about 3-4 years now. It will be much heavier, and a lot less nimble than current truggies. Now that's not to say you couldn't race one now, just that you will struggle to keep up with the current truggies given the same driving skill.

I am going to assume your budget is for a complete setup. If that's the case, I would highly recommend the losi 8T 2.0 RTR. The RTR truggy is a complete package that includes a solid engine, a great radio, and even a starter box. It will get you up and running and be a very competitive rig. It will run a bit above you're budget, but is really worth the extra cash. It is very competitive right out of the box, and doesn't have most of the typical RTR weaknesses. :nod:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box

romax 02-06-2010 06:32 PM

Hey jammincrazy i noticed your user name . So is it safe to say your new name should be usedtobejammincrazy lol Just kidding man . Couldn't resist . I have to agree that you do have to drive harder than a like skilled driver with a newer design truggy . I have an x2 & like it but it is a little harder to keep up . But for club racing it is just fine & quite durable .

crazysavage 02-06-2010 07:16 PM

I am a long time Jammin x1 guy and made numerous changes to my truck to include a BCE chassis with the small spur gear conversion. If you want to do a kit, I would go with the Hotbodies D8T. Or go with the Losi or Associated RTR if you want to be on the track with less work. I sold my Losi 2.0 but that was because of a declining truggy turn out and it was the best I have driven up until the middle of last season.

JUD 02-07-2010 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by KZ 250 (Post 6962532)

Thanks
Ryan

If your just club racing, just to have fun, go with the Jammin x2 RTR. Its at a good price right now!!:nod:

JAMMINKRAZY 02-07-2010 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by romax (Post 6967496)
Hey jammincrazy i noticed your user name . So is it safe to say your new name should be usedtobejammincrazy lol Just kidding man . Couldn't resist . I have to agree that you do have to drive harder than a like skilled driver with a newer design truggy . I have an x2 & like it but it is a little harder to keep up . But for club racing it is just fine & quite durable .

Yeah I guess you could say so! But hey I have a SCRT-10 4x4 SC truck now so the name works again! There was a while where I didn't own a jammin though. They make good cars, but their 1/8 designs are kind of dated if you ask me.:nod:

jmaxey51 02-07-2010 10:04 AM

delete

romax 02-07-2010 10:06 AM

I agree , they are a bit dated . Time for an x3 ??