Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What's the best all around tire for offroad buggy? >

What's the best all around tire for offroad buggy?

What's the best all around tire for offroad buggy?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phaqu22
So the smaller the tread the better for a packed track and the taller the tread, better for loamy tracks?
Thats usually the way it goes but sometimes it doesn't apply. I've seen where the track has been somewhat loose or loamy where smaller pins were the ticket. Lots of thing to factor in like type of dirt, temp and tire compound if you want to get technical. The last indoor race I was at had 3 qualifying rounds. 1st round the track was loamy, 2nd loose, and 3rd packed. It's good to have an all around tire or if you can afford it, keep a selection of tires to meet any given track condition.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

AKA CITY BLOCKS

I have run these tire at a lot of tracks and this all ways my fall back to tire if none of the other tires seam to work right i go back to AKA CITY BLOCKS.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by cary
losi eclipse in red or green
+1 I love the Eclipses, they are by far the most versatile I have run.

-NuthinFancy91
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

caliber,revolvers,hb megabites,holeshots,crimfighters,ofna x's theses are the main buggy tires i carry to every new track i go to. truggy i use caliber,revolers,city blocks and i beams
Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ok I am going to add my .02, remember I am sponsored by JConcepts, but truely believe they are the best tires out there.

If I was to run on a loamy track I would run either CrowBars or CrossBows. Crowbars offer amazing traction on and off power as well as a massive amount of later bite(sidebite). Crossbows also offer amazing traction but have limited lateral bite(sidebite) to allow the car to rotate and no grab as many ruts and holes as other tires. A deadly combination is Crowbars in the front and Crossbows in the rear. This setup gives the car amazing on power steering while allowing the rear to rotate just enough while cornering off throttle. One of my personal favorite setups.

Now if the track is loamy/tacky/dusty and you are having trouble getting hooked up try the new Subcultures. These tires off amazing traction on ALL surfaces. The provide great on and off power steering while keeping the rear end planted.

Now if the track is grooved up try either Barcodes or 7's. Both of these tires are amazing on a grooved track. The barcodes offer more forward bite but can be mounted in various ways to increase sidebite and or forward bite. The 7's are just an all around hot tire when the track becomes grooved. Both tires are amazing as they provide great traction and wear is never an issue.

Thanks and hope I was of some help.
Marcus Black
Old 02-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
AKA CITY BLOCKS

I have run these tire at a lot of tracks and this all ways my fall back to tire if none of the other tires seam to work right i go back to AKA CITY BLOCKS.
City Blocks tend to pack on tracks with a lot of clay. I-Beams (or similar patterns) are about the best all around pattern you can pick. I carry City Blocks, I-Beams, and Crossbraces everywhere.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Black
Ok I am going to add my .02, remember I am sponsored by JConcepts, but truely believe they are the best tires out there.

If I was to run on a loamy track I would run either CrowBars or CrossBows. Crowbars offer amazing traction on and off power as well as a massive amount of later bite(sidebite). Crossbows also offer amazing traction but have limited lateral bite(sidebite) to allow the car to rotate and no grab as many ruts and holes as other tires. A deadly combination is Crowbars in the front and Crossbows in the rear. This setup gives the car amazing on power steering while allowing the rear to rotate just enough while cornering off throttle. One of my personal favorite setups.

Now if the track is loamy/tacky/dusty and you are having trouble getting hooked up try the new Subcultures. These tires off amazing traction on ALL surfaces. The provide great on and off power steering while keeping the rear end planted.

Now if the track is grooved up try either Barcodes or 7's. Both of these tires are amazing on a grooved track. The barcodes offer more forward bite but can be mounted in various ways to increase sidebite and or forward bite. The 7's are just an all around hot tire when the track becomes grooved. Both tires are amazing as they provide great traction and wear is never an issue.

Marcus Black
I appreciate all the info on JConcepts tires. I have looked at them but haven't heard much about their performance. I will take a second look.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Black

Marcus Black
Couldn't be put any better Marcus!! I'm no pro or anything close, but ever since Marcus got me hooked on jconcepts tires, I've loved them! They have a wide variety of great all around tires as the ones stated above. I take the exact same tires to every track that he takes. With those tires, you will be set for any track condition! Also, you may want to have some double dee's in your tire box. Garrett
Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I Have ran all the tires on the market and they are all good. I have been running Vp Pro tires this year and they are very good and very underrated they cost less and last a long time. Every time I give a set for someone to try they love them.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I am new to the buggy racing and want to have a variety of the best tires to race with. I have some Pro-line caliber tires and am looking for some other tires that will be good. I mainly race at two tracks one is gonna be kinda rocky and clay dirt. The other track is a pretty tacky track for qualifying but becomes pretty dry for the mains. Sorry but I tried looking through posts and threads but couldn't find anything that was specifically towards this topic.

Thanks in advance!
As stated i would check the locals and maybe even try some if they would let you before buying. Every track with weather and conditions varies for premium tyre choice. As title states "best all around tire" no doubt undisputed soft aka city block or m3 proline caliber.

Getting technical in situations if you can follow the groove consistantly on clay there are multiple tread designs that yeild nice results. Everyone has an opinion regarding brand/make and compound of tires to use in every/any situation.

I normally prefer red eclipse with a worn med aka foam insert(after i cut out all my crap losi molded foams and insert aka foam they will be back in action).

Alltogether if i could afford at some point it would be nice to run a complete line of jconcepts tire. They have a great line of tires for the way tracks go from moist and then dry or develope groove throughout the course of a race day.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Another vote for City Blocks and I-Beams. I carry a set of mediums and softs and that covers pretty much every track I can find.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pickle311
Another vote for City Blocks and I-Beams. I carry a set of mediums and softs and that covers pretty much every track I can find.
Do you run them as city beams?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

City Blocks and I-beams worked at practically every outdoor track I have been too. I pretty much always have a set with me. Crime Fighters are also a great all around tire.

Indoors your can't go wrong with Panther Boas in Clay, switch 2.0s and the J Concepts Barcodes all work pretty well.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

If you haven't tried jconcepts Double Cross you're missing out.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Do you run them as city beams?
Sometimes yes, it all depends on the track conditions and what I need out of my truggy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.