Which .21 to race

Reply

Old 01-31-2010, 04:52 PM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Questions?? Which .21 to race

I must admit the whole RC thing is new to me but as far as racing I have been around Kt100 karts and 2 stroke & 4 stroke Motorcycles as we aslo did the Motocross scene for years. Now where to start: I have a son who has a Hot Bodies stadium pro RR2 Buggy, he has caught on very quick driving this thing around the track- I do want him to race but was wondering for input on which power plant to run. I am sure there are close engines and most is on setup and the driver. but I need suggestions for a good strong competitive engine that will not brake the bank! Ofna has a few engines that have caught my eye along with OS and of course NovaRossi.
roadking801 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:59 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (52)
 
thenova70ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,555
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Sent you a PM.
thenova70ss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:00 PM
  #3  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Savannah,ga
Posts: 341
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

OS are great but cost alot. I run a Go tech 5 port, it's got great power and only cost me 180.00
The Jammin .21 is good for about 225.00 so is the Odonnell.
The SH engines are good but suck alot of fuel.
supertool28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:03 PM
  #4  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Grimlock212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The Werks B5 is really popular on these forums. That is what I am going with on mine.
Grimlock212 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:13 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
easyryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 2,543
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The JL .21 is proving to be a great engine.
http://www.ofna.com/carousel/Assets/PR_52207.pdf
easyryder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:17 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (31)
 
pickle311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,650
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Look at the Ofna Force JL .21. It's the same as the RB Killer 9 that I run and it's fast. I've hit long straights with all the high dollar motors and I'm just as fast. It makes good power, good fuel economy, and is cheap. The only thing I can't speak for is how long the engine will last, it hasn't been out long enough yet.
pickle311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 PM
  #7  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (23)
 
steve307b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
The Werks B5 is really popular on these forums. That is what I am going with on mine.
+ 1 on the Werks B5. I run one in my 2.0T and it has plenty of power and 11 min run times wich makes it nice for racing, And they're only $199 minus a coupon code
steve307b is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:06 PM
  #8  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Savannah,ga
Posts: 341
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by steve307b View Post
+ 1 on the Werks B5. I run one in my 2.0T and it has plenty of power and 11 min run times wich makes it nice for racing, And they're only $199 minus a coupon code
That must be a magic B5 to get 11 min run times. I know alot of people that run them, everyone I've seen get about 8 to 9 min, that's it. They are good engines though, very fast.
supertool28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:15 PM
  #9  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 864
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

+1 for go tech!!


b5's are great but one thing that bothers me about them is the replacement parts are hard to find (p/s/r) and when you do find them they are pretty expensive thats why I'd prefer go tech, you can get a whole set of p/s/r for less than $70 where on most engines just the con rod alone is more than that. I think its a good engine if you are new to nitro, even if you blow up the piston or the rod you will be back in business w/o breaking the bank. Whereas with any other brand it would be better off to buy a whole new engine than replacement parts to rebuild it.
TopGearRC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:02 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
RC-ZOMBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Insane Asylum, Pa
Posts: 1,376
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

You will go though 2 Go-Techs before that B5 will die!
RC-ZOMBIE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:19 PM
  #11  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: savannah
Posts: 178
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The Werks B5 or the Novarossi 3 port are both quality mills. The 3 port has great bottom and decent middle, but lacks top end. The B5 rips the whole way through.
drdsanders is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 PM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
bigmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,485
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Go-tec gxr 5 port, they are nothing like the older go-tecs. I have a 7 port [gen-5] with 12 gallons on it. I replaced the rod 3 times. about every 4 gallons just cause. and put in ceramic bearings. still has great compression,parts are easy to get.On the newer gx series they eased the pinch to make them easier to break in, and they haul ass.
bigmatt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:40 PM
  #13  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
blade954's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,199
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by roadking801 View Post
I must admit the whole RC thing is new to me but as far as racing I have been around Kt100 karts and 2 stroke & 4 stroke Motorcycles as we aslo did the Motocross scene for years. Now where to start: I have a son who has a Hot Bodies stadium pro RR2 Buggy, he has caught on very quick driving this thing around the track- I do want him to race but was wondering for input on which power plant to run. I am sure there are close engines and most is on setup and the driver. but I need suggestions for a good strong competitive engine that will not brake the bank! Ofna has a few engines that have caught my eye along with OS and of course NovaRossi.
You hit the nail on the head the OS V-Spec will serve you well one of the easiest engines to tune and parts are every where punch in OS v spec on ebay and see what you get... We run the speed in the buggy and v spec in the truggy with a OS 2050 MP pipe it will fly...
blade954 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
  #14  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (148)
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,521
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by blade954 View Post
You hit the nail on the head the OS V-Spec will serve you well one of the easiest engines to tune and parts are every where punch in OS v spec on ebay and see what you get... We run the speed in the buggy and v spec in the truggy with a OS 2050 MP pipe it will fly...
I have been running speed engines all year long with the 2060 pipes. I recently tried the 2050 pipe and I didnt like the top end compared to the 2060, but the OS speed engines tune very easy and are very reliable.
Frank L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 AM
  #15  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (12)
 
MontanaMaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 909
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I have been running speed engines all year long with the 2060 pipes. I recently tried the 2050 pipe and I didnt like the top end compared to the 2060, but the OS speed engines tune very easy and are very reliable.
I run a v spec with 2060 pipe and its a very good motor if i were to do it again i would get the pro mod version I dont see it necessary to get a speed to start with but the pro mod has the ceramic bearings in it
MontanaMaxx is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service