R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #91
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
the answer to this question depends on what you're running... if it's not a top line engine that's getting over 10 minutes per tank, maybe do it. Personally, I would never touch any engine we run with a dremel. With the CNC technology available today, everything that can be done to the engines to make them faster is pretty much being done. The engine designers/testers spend their lives trying to get the engine exactly perfect, and the notion that some guy in another shop somewhere is going to make the engine better than say Andrea Rossi or Adrien Bertien is pretty silly. flame suit on...
enough said
v6shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #92
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
yes but the same drivers would win with a modded engine just the same..... You know as well as I do that its the driver that takes the engine over the finish line, not the other way around.....

the discussion is whether the performance of the stock engines can be enhanced, and whether the enhancements are worth the extra cost......IMO an engine does not need to be modded to win a race, truth be told most of the high dollar engines are not needed to win a race either.....especially so at the club level where most of the consumer market is....I would bet that at 90% of club racing levels a $120.00 Dynamite Platinum .21 would do just fine and cut just as fast of laps as a $500 Speed .....However what we need and what we want are 2 different things......
Agreed!!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #93
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
the answer to this question depends on what you're running... if it's not a top line engine that's getting over 10 minutes per tank, maybe do it. Personally, I would never touch any engine we run with a dremel. With the CNC technology available today, everything that can be done to the engines to make them faster is pretty much being done. The engine designers/testers spend their lives trying to get the engine exactly perfect, and the notion that some guy in another shop somewhere is going to make the engine better than say Andrea Rossi or Adrien Bertien is pretty silly. flame suit on...
My Dyno testing, on track performance and run times would beg to differ with you....
Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #94
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I just put a modded speed down on the grount set rich and it runs even better than before, once I get it broke in and opened up it will be worth the extra $$. Thats the initial impression so far. So hell yes MOD.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #95
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt4g63 View Post
My Dyno testing, on track performance and run times would beg to differ with you....
Ive order a mod from ADAM for a REVO a basher motor picco base the engine ran cooler, better run times, seemed to hold a tune better, and this thing was a rocket couldn't believe how fast this thing went.

His work was very clean I used Adam cause he was very familiar with the Picco line and hes been around for years. I didn't much research before the mod and his name kept being mentioned. Adam knows his stuff his customer service was excellent from the beginning to the end.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #96
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In the past 15 plus years ago modding was done because the cars were heavy and motors didn't have that much power, with todays light buggys too much power can be your enemy, I can see modding a motor for fuel economy, not power, for racing any way.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #97
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

How would you mod a motor for dirt oval racing, Timing, port work, and how many ports is best. In dirtoval you need smooth power that gets to top end pretty quick without a whole lot of wheelspin.
vivo quevas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #98
Tech Fanatic

I would buy a good 3-5 port engine from a reputable company, break it in properly, work on the clutch, learn how to tune it, and then go win some races.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #99
Tech Lord

Defiantly MOD. After what I observed on the track Sat. I ran a powerhouse modded OS Speed. The power was up everywhere it made the truggy feel like a stock speed in a buggy, very addicting and very very fast. I am not saying that is best for winning races but if you can handle the power modded is the way to go. The difference is like night and day. Thanks Mark at powerhousercperformance.com
Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Whatever you want?

If you think more power wins races, or whatever you need to win, do it. If you don't have to have a 500 radio or a 500 dollar vspec modded what does that cost? How long will it last. If you got it, do it. Your car...
Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #101
Tech Regular

Well Maximo has pretty much nailed it in all he has said.

Honestly, what else can anyone expect from Papa King? Or any one sponsored in that matter? can you imagine a Sirio or Novarossi spokesperson saying "oh yes, the engines are great but wait 'til you mod'em and see how they fly" LOLLLL

By the way Andrea Rossi is a designer I'll give you that, but with all the respect until Bertin does an engine by himself not paint a name on a Picco or Sirio he only has proven the same that any other modder here can prove. Having the money or the opportunity orthe luck or the name to do something does not mean you have the knowledge.

And let me put this straght, I AM NOT SAYING that he knows sh**, he may be the engine guru of the galaxy, I'm saying that no matter what anyone say the R/D has NOT been made by him and there's no proof that he is knowledgeble. Sorry and Period.

There IS deffinetly proof that he is a bad ass driver though.

Now to Mr Pond - Altough obviously there's knowledge in many of your comments, with your resume, and to my knowledge no conflict of interest like in the previous case/paragraph, I would expect a little bit more from you.
Although I potentially cannot compete with a company like Novarossi in the selection of the best possible timming of a high end mill for the most possible scenarios, the port inlet angles, port areas, materials and so on like you said. there is something that you left that is fairly important - Bernoulli.

Any sharp angle, radious, etc, in any curve in which a fluid passes, makes a restriction, that, no person in earth can challenge. With that principle, many other parts of an engine can be, with your permision, modified for better performance. The performance WILL be better on an engine that flows more than one that flows less. That is just the platform for every racing engine in any racing category in the world not just an OS Speed.

CNC machines today can do a lot yes, but there's a big "but" in that equation, the time factor, this companies need to make money, they like engines and racing ok, but they are here, most importantly, to make money. A company cannot afford to have a machine working for hours in one sleeve, changing bits for every different corner and angle. Much less the rest of the engine. They would have to sell the engine in thousands of dollars. Not an easy task.

The same applies to a hand mod finish, which is the only way remove the "CNC markings".
CNC can make a FORM the same form all the time, but that form HAS to be shaped, finished by hand to be able to produce the best flow. That is simply something no one can deny, even Ferrari does it to its engines, not Mr. Rossi, Ferrari to its street and F-1 engines. CNC machines leave markings in every curve that they make. That is easier to see with larger jobs but the fact that it still applies is out of the question.

That being said, a knowlegeble modder, can make an engine more powerful throughout the rpm range, thus faster and with the right driver, head clearance, compression (two VERY different things!!!), pipe, glow plug, restrictor, setup, more fuel efficient.

Again, if timming, port angles, port area, etc. are ideally perfect - which is phisically impossible especially if you are talking about a given applycation or track - every single corner in which there will be a flow path HAS to be modded for it to be able to obtain its best efficiency.

Flame, suit, OFF.

X
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #102
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
If you think more power wins races, or whatever you need to win, do it. If you don't have to have a 500 radio or a 500 dollar vspec modded what does that cost? How long will it last. If you got it, do it. Your car...
Ohh touchy arent we...

Like I said earlier more power only wins races if you know what to do with it. I have seen a guy win a race driving no more than 1/2 throttle all over the track, he rolled every jump and never crashed. It was in int class but thats how he won. Hell he could have had a .12 in his buggy and still won. Power only works if you know how and when to use it. And I am not saying that I know how, but man its fun to watch the thing blazing around the track and all that extra power will come in handy at the nitropit, go up a tooth or down a few teeth on the spur gear.

And besides why not. As for longevity, time will tell but after a hard 30 min main my modded engine came in cooler as than the non modded engine 220 for an OS engine is damm good, especially in a truggy.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Get er done.

Point taken. I guess I would have to try one out sometime...
Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #104
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just make sure you use well reputable engine moder and not a fly by night guy that sets up shop in his garage with a dermal .
single2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default race

I run a Fusion Mod B3 in my buggy and a EB mod Extech in my truggy and yes they are fast but the thing I like is the motors just run better. I know they were built by Pros. I know Chris from fusion and he does a great job he told me that the mod is only part of what they do, they clean and lube your motor for break in. You dont have to worry there is metal shavings in your new motor.
http://www.reidrc.com/v-specos.htm
this is what the best motor mod guys do they just make a good motor better. I ran Rich Reid motors for a few years and they are nothing short of amazing. One day when I have the money I will get another Reid motor
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced

Last edited by Marcus Falconie; 02-08-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote