Wiki Posts
Search

First race meet, How to clean car properly

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default First race meet, How to clean car properly

just had my first race meet today. was so much fun. I have used the air compressor to clean it but there is still some dirt on it. Do you guys completely pull it down to clean or just use air? leaving it with some dirt will this hurt it? So what is the best way to clean down my car?

cheers
Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey , most serious guys at least pull the radio tray and engine
Seems most people use Simple Green as a cleaner just spray on give it a rub with a brush to loosen the tough stuff and blow down with compressed air and some rag job done.
radio tray and engine use some Metho on these bits . check clutch bearings and shoes if running alloys , after every meeting i file my clutch shoes to remove burrs and replace bearings as well as they are only worth $2
Old 01-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Tech Addict

ok cheers mick will do. and thanks again for the radio!
did you make A-main?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:10 AM
Tech Addict

made the amain , Savoya got a lap on me but that was expected !! his truggy was dialed
Old 01-24-2010, 02:32 AM
Tech Addict

yeah thats it, his driving looks like it has no faults to me becuase im so shitty haha, but it was a good day
Old 01-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i do the following,

1- remove engine and servo tray
2- spray it with water to remove dirt. using an air compressor with gun+tank
3- spray simple green on the entire car and let it soak for about 5-10 minutes
4- respray water to remove the simple green
5- dry it with air compressor make sure to dry all the bearings, front and rear hub carriers, diffs and bulkheads bearings
6-spray WD40 on all bearings if you are not gonna take the whole car apart
7- if you take it a part (better option) then remove all bearings, check if they spin freely and relube them with bearing oil found at you LHS. if they dont spin freely, remove rubber seals, clean them, lube them and put them back together
8- when reputting the car together again, check plastic parts for cracks or worn parts, if in doubt, change them
9- check clutch and do the regular maintenance.
10- when finished, you just got yourself a new car again

cheers

Ali
Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Personally, I never use any water based product to clean a car, nor do I use an air compressor. Things will only rust up, and using compressed air will only force dirt into areas you dont want it ( bearings, hinge pins...).

I've seen so many people, even myself years ago, go to change a broken arm on a car and they can't get the hinge pin out because so much rust has built up inside. And, bearings will seize right up ( happened on a 5b I got in trade , car was hosed down and half of the wheel bearings were completely rusted), which will wear out cvd's and steering linkages.

I use a brush, and if conditions are really wet/muddy, will tear down the car completely and check/clean every bearing.

It takes time, but a little proper maintenance goes a long way.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

the key is before you even race get some "heavy duty silicone" from the walmart, over by the wd-40. this stuff sprays on wet but is dry before you can rag it some. when the car comes off the track 100%of the dirt blows off with just air. i spray the body inside and out also and it sprays clean too. also if you need you can buy a brush kit from the hardware store (or harbour freight) for a few dollars and it comes with 5 or six different sized bottle brushes that can get in any nook and cranny of the car.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

full teardown and a date with the sink and a toothbrush. this way i can appease the mrs by doin the dishes and clean up my car at the same time. works well.

R
Old 01-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Im kind of a clean freak, so after a race weekend I will normally pull the engine,and radio tray. Spray the car with simple green and hose it off, blow it dry completely, then spray with WD40, making sure to spray the bearing areas. Let sit for a few minutes, then blow it dry again. I then check the bearings for wear. If it feels gritty, I replace.

Of course clutch bearing and CVD inspection is all part of the maintenance process to keep it it tip top shape.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Hit me up for more information and where to purchase our products.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv86z1y_DsU
Old 01-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
full teardown and a date with the sink and a toothbrush. this way i can appease the mrs by doin the dishes and clean up my car at the same time. works well.

R
This is what I do and drip dry. I break it down to the basic roller and gets to work with a youth sized toothbrush and eyeliner brush. Then I hit all moving parts with wd. I wonder if I will clean my child that well? I have a dishwasher for the dishes though. ha
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Full tear down after every event for me. I only use a wet rag and toothbrush.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Full tear down, and build it up like a new kit. You ge to know your car inside out which helps if you want to make set-up adjustments which might need parts of the car disassembling.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I have a friend that takes the Radio and Servos off his car and washes the big dirt off in his sink and then puts it in the Dish Washer when it comes out it looks NEW. And After that he sprays it with WD40 and Sprays if off with Air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.