Wiki Posts
Search

rebuild for v-spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default rebuild for v-spec

i am going to install a new piston and sleeve,also tko ceramics(front and rear)and new speed rod...the question is,after i have done this do i need to set the carb back to factory setting's and retune or will i be all right with my setting's the way they are and break it in...sounds dumb once i have read this,but i think i should reset,break in,then race tune...thanx in advance guy's...man this site is so informative....
Old 01-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Definitely needs to be re-broken in. I may even do the break in w/ the old rod provided it isn't in bad shape, then put in the new rod after 1/2 gallon or so.....
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default vspec

Originally Posted by dhunt488
i am going to install a new piston and sleeve,also tko ceramics(front and rear)and new speed rod...the question is,after i have done this do i need to set the carb back to factory setting's and retune or will i be all right with my setting's the way they are and break it in...sounds dumb once i have read this,but i think i should reset,break in,then race tune...thanx in advance guy's...man this site is so informative....
Yes put needle settings back to factory and follow the break in bible here is a link

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...reak-bible.htm

after that is done follow the tuning bible here is a link

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ing-bible.html

also you said you are going to replace the rod with a speed rod not a good idea if your engine is a plain v spec The two engine have different ways of oiling the rod threw the crank just a heads up If you want to use the speed rod you have to use the speed crank i could be wrong but im pretty sure they are different this help good luck
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gkn0315
Yes put needle settings back to factory and follow the break in bible here is a link

also you said you are going to replace the rod with a speed rod not a good idea if your engine is a plain v spec The two engine have different ways of oiling the rod threw the crank just a heads up If you want to use the speed rod you have to use the speed crank i could be wrong but im pretty sure they are different this help good luck
you are wrong. you can use the speed rod w/ vspec crank but if you use the speed crank you must use the speed rod
Old 01-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Almost every v-spec I've seen the crank is the first thing that needs replacement. Be sure to check the crank pin. If the motor is just low on compression I would just resize the sleeve, way cheaper and no break in. I only charge $15.00, you could take the $ and put it toward a speed cank.

Rex
Old 01-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 22Racer
Almost every v-spec I've seen the crank is the first thing that needs replacement. Be sure to check the crank pin. If the motor is just low on compression I would just resize the sleeve, way cheaper and no break in. I only charge $15.00, you could take the $ and put it toward a speed cank.

Rex
+1
Old 01-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would personally send the mill to The Speed Shop and Alan Burton, he will get you right and at a great price and its not far from you lol
Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

new piston and sleeve definately set to factory specs for brake in to get plenty of lubrication

Originally Posted by marshon50
Definitely needs to be re-broken in. I may even do the break in w/ the old rod provided it isn't in bad shape, then put in the new rod after 1/2 gallon or so.....
+1 on the old rod for break in as it puts alot of stress on the rod

Originally Posted by gkn0315

you need a speed crank for a speed rod

Originally Posted by losi_racer
you are wrong. you can use the speed rod w/ vspec crank but if you use the speed crank you must use the speed rod
I do believe this is bass akwards as the speed crank has the oil hole and the rod does not so the speed crank and standard rod with oil hole would give you double oil
Old 01-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Losi Racer has it right!

Rex
Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MontanaMaxx
I do believe this is bass akwards as the speed crank has the oil hole and the rod does not so the speed crank and standard rod with oil hole would give you double oil
I'm holding a v-spec crank in my hand right now - and the v-spec has the oilier in the crank and the v-spec rod does NOT have the oilier hole in it.

The Speed Crank does NOT have the oilier in the crank but DOES have the oilier in the Speed Con Rod.

So - YES - you can use the Speed rod on the v-spec crank and it would provide some additional oiling. If you use the v-spec Rod on the Speed crank you will burn up the crank pretty quickly as it will have minimum oiling.

Also the benefit of using the speed crank is the knife like cut on the shaft of the rod. The v-spec has a bit more meat and square cut.

Hope that helps - I would set the needles to factory and break it in as if it were a new engine.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

guys got it all put back together,installed a new crank,rex you was right about the crank pin....it was def. worn..got new tko bearing's,new piston and sleeve,new speed rod,new vspec crank(called a buddy who had one)new wrist pinand clips...it is now def. a new motor...what a experiance....now the only prob. is i can't find my manuel,so you guessed it,what are the factory setting's...again thanx for all the responses guy's,yall have been a huge help here....
Old 01-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Here you go -

NEEDLE SETTINGS:
High Speed - (see pg 17 of manual) 3 turns OUT from fully closed
Metering Needle - (see pg 22 of manual) Head of screw is flush with
ball link body
Mixture Control Valve - (see pg 22 of manual) Head of screw is 1 full
turn IN from flush with carb body
Old 01-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default chapter two

well,i have ran 1 1/2 tanks and it is doing great...i am using the heat cycle method...keeping it right around 200*/210*...will idle for days...about to fire it up again,into the 10min. mark....will keep posted..again,thanx guy's....
Old 01-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by offr0aden
I'm holding a v-spec crank in my hand right now - and the v-spec has the oilier in the crank and the v-spec rod does NOT have the oilier hole in it.

The Speed Crank does NOT have the oilier in the crank but DOES have the oilier in the Speed Con Rod.

So - YES - you can use the Speed rod on the v-spec crank and it would provide some additional oiling. If you use the v-spec Rod on the Speed crank you will burn up the crank pretty quickly as it will have minimum oiling.

Also the benefit of using the speed crank is the knife like cut on the shaft of the rod. The v-spec has a bit more meat and square cut.

Hope that helps - I would set the needles to factory and break it in as if it were a new engine.
Good info i knew it was something like that