Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY >

NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY

Like Tree1Likes

NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY

Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

8068 are replacement drive pins that you need to press into the CVD's with a pin press or a pin replacement tool.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
8068 are replacement drive pins that you need to press into the CVD's with a pin press or a pin replacement tool.
Sweet. Thanx James, exactly what I was looking for.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

what can the fioroni pistons do that the agama shock/pistons can't? Just curious, I'm not up on the other pistons so just trying to figure out. In the beginning of me running the buggy that was one of my problems that I had yet to figure out. When I landed and needed to be picking up the throttle the car bottomed and was loose. But after time with the car and the current outdoor shock setup I think that issue is gone.

Like mentioned, I'm just curious. I think we can figure out how to get it done with our shocks.

If I can help any of you guys get your stock shocks sorted out just send them in to the Speed Shop with all the needed parts and oil you want to use. I can build them with or without the mod and they will be smooth and ready to go.

Shop/Track Address is:

Alan Burton
The Speed Shop
204 Rolling Mill Street
Helena Alabama
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ABURTON
what can the fioroni pistons do that the agama shock/pistons can't? Just curious, I'm not up on the other pistons so just trying to figure out. In the beginning of me running the buggy that was one of my problems that I had yet to figure out. When I landed and needed to be picking up the throttle the car bottomed and was loose. But after time with the car and the current outdoor shock setup I think that issue is gone.

Like mentioned, I'm just curious. I think we can figure out how to get it done with our shocks.

If I can help any of you guys get your stock shocks sorted out just send them in to the Speed Shop with all the needed parts and oil you want to use. I can build them with or without the mod and they will be smooth and ready to go.

Shop/Track Address is:

Alan Burton
The Speed Shop
204 Rolling Mill Street
Helena Alabama

+100 Alan...My Agama shocks are phenomenal, never had any issues.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Shop/Track Address is:

Alan Burton
The Speed Shop
204 Rolling Mill Street
Helena Alabama
here is the thinking behind it...
Originally Posted by Frank L
Why tapered side down?

Here it explains it differently (scroll all the way down)>>

http://www.fioroni-usa.com/news%20aug%201.html

As the piston moves through the shock body, oil passes through the large holes, applying pressure to the o-rings, thus slowing the movement of the piston.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

what can the fioroni pistons do that the agama shock/pistons can't?
There is rubber O-ring around the diameter of the piston. As the oil passes through the holes it pushes the O ring out against the shock bodies. The greater the impact, the faster the ring gets pressed against the shock body so in essence they work like regular pistons most of the time, until the shocks take a huge impact off a big landing and then the O-ring does its thing. You cant have it both ways with the Agama Pistons, they can be set up to be dialed in the rough stuff, or set up to help prevent chassis slap but they cant be set-up to do both.
I'll send you my back up set of shocks and you can work your magic and we'll see if you can take my mind off the Fioroni pistons
Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just trying to make sure i understand this. With these pistons you would have to be running the mugen or losi shocks?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Culetto
Just trying to make sure i understand this. With these pistons you would have to be running the mugen or losi shocks?
if you wanted to try them...
they come in 15mm and 16mm diameter

losi mugen = 15mm
jammin ae = 16mm

the losi and mugens are direct fit
Old 01-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by garen
Fioroni first made this type of piston several years ago, when 'big bore' shocks were 13mm, and 95% of the cars came with 12mm shocks. Back then the pistons came in 12mm and 13mm sizes, pretty much the same design as the new 15mm and 16mm versions, but without the taper (yes the new ones are tapered). Among the drivers who tested the original ones were drivers like Jeremy Kortz, who I recall stating they made his car (I think Kyosho back then) much better especially through the rough stuff, and needless to say the pistons sold very well. Around the same time Fioroni made 13mm shocks for all the popular buggies of the time, and Mark Pavidis used the Fioroni 13mm shocks to win his IFMAR WC. I am not sure if he ran the dual action pistons or not in those shocks. Some of you old timers/sgrid members might recall the car he ran at the time came with 12mm shocks and everyone who ran that car claimed there was no need to go to a bigger shock.... Anyway, when shocks went from 12mm and 13mm to 14, 15, 16, and 17, production on those pistons stopped. Funny enough, now the SC 1/10th racers are asking about those pistons..

The current pistons come in two sizes only, 15mm and 16mm. Two part numbers, OT-UR328 and OT-UR916. You can see them here, just scroll to the bottom http://www.fioroni-usa.com/productsspecialparts.html
I don't know if 14mm and 17mm will be made, along with any other variant, i.e. 15.3mm, etc.

Run the pistons with the taper side down/big holes up.

Generally speaking you will go to a lighter oil. With the 13mm shocks, I think I normally went down 5 or 10 weight. I have not run buggy in months so I have not tried the new ones yet.
Originally Posted by garen
I emailed Mark regarding the pistons in his WC car, and he said they were the aluminum ones, so for what it is worth, the original Fioroni dual action pistons are good enough to win a wc title.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default agama shock setups(Stock Shocks)

If you guys would quote this post and put what you have ran on the stock agama shocks. Just as a idea of who is doing what. Followed by a very brief description of what you didn't like about the set up.

Example:

Front: Grey Springs with 1.4 6 hole pistons/100 wt oil

Rear: White Springs(red) 1.3 8 hole pistons/ 10 wt oil

Shock locations: Fr/RR(tower and arm)

note: this set up bottomed out to much and had little traction. when landing it was hard to get on gas until car settled.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

problem i have found with the agama shocks is with the long ends. the shock seems to calapse the bladder.so i fixed with a piece of closed cell tire foam and the shocks are good and rebound the way they should with no chassis slap. bladders do seem really soft
Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stallen50
problem i have found with the agama shocks is with the long ends. the shock seems to calapse the bladder.so i fixed with a piece of closed cell tire foam and the shocks are good and rebound the way they should with no chassis slap. bladders do seem really soft
I also run the long ends. The nut should not be able to reach the bladder. I can give you a measurement later but you may need to screw it on a bit more so that it cant reach it.

I have also seen some of our local guys have to much oil and when it tries to compress it in a sense locks up and the bladder will be pushed up.

If your cap is off and you push the shock all the way up is your nut extended past the body?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

yes. the shocks are screwed in as far as they go. with the gold shafts. but let me make sure
Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

well not really its into the bladder.wont let bladder sit the way it should without pushing the shock shaft down a lil bit.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

and it the front i couldnt get the front to level out with the long ends and gray springs, so i put the small ends on front. to get the front end to come down

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.