Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sway Bars On Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Sway Bars On Truggy

I am getting into racing and wanting to know if I should install sway bars and why. Thanks
Old 01-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

yes, they keep the truck more planted through turns, im not going to get into physic specifics or anything but yes they are needed unless you are on a track that is real loose and no jumps.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Did you take them off ? Most truggies already have them installed on there. Quick way to see the difference is drive around a track with then take them off.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Madbrad
Did you take them off ? Most truggies already have them installed on there. Quick way to see the difference is drive around a track with then take them off.
did you ever think he is building a kit?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, you want them. And learning how to adjust them (position of endlink, which thickness of bar) is a great chassis tuning tool.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Tech Prophet

but on a rough track whouldnt a swaybar, not work as good on a rough offroad track? because when you hit the ruts,you can see the wheels come off the ground, with a sway bar on.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Yes, you want them. And learning how to adjust them (position of endlink, which thickness of bar) is a great chassis tuning tool.
Ok neebie ? im learning about the thickness, but what about the endlink adjustment....?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Madbrad
It is a rtr with out sway bars.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by mudboger07
Ok neebie ? im learning about the thickness, but what about the endlink adjustment....?
If you move the endlinks in, effectively shortening the bar, it makes it "stiffer," by both reducing the leverage and reducing the length of the "spring." (A swaybar is just a funny-shaped spring connecting the 2 sides together.) Moving the endlinks nearer the end of the bar softens it by both increasing the length of the spring, and increasing the leverage applied. Simple, right?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Prophet

did not know that interesting. they should tell you that in the car manuels.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tc5 man
did not know that interesting. they should tell you that in the car manuels.
they do in my kyosho manual, as well as its on my set up sheets.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by smokinu
they do in my kyosho manual, as well as its on my set up sheets.

oh i dont why losi and others dont say that though, on my losi it just says the sway bar wire flush, with the ball ends on the sway bar.

the losi setup, sheets doesnt metion that.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOMIT
If you move the endlinks in, effectively shortening the bar, it makes it "stiffer," by both reducing the leverage and reducing the length of the "spring." (A swaybar is just a funny-shaped spring connecting the 2 sides together.) Moving the endlinks nearer the end of the bar softens it by both increasing the length of the spring, and increasing the leverage applied. Simple, right?
This is good to know, it sounds liek it will kepp you from having to change the sway bar size, if you want it to be a little stiffer just move it in a tad....thanks Domit for the valuable info.....
Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
oh i dont why losi and others dont say that though, on my losi it just says the sway bar wire flush, with the ball ends on the sway bar.

the losi setup, sheets doesnt metion that.
Losi swaybars are shaped different... I'm not even sure they have much room for adjustment due to the extra bend at the end. Maybe if you reverse the ball link that goes on the bar.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sway bars are a great tuning tool, and these days it seems rare for a truggy or buggy to come without sway bars. However, depending on the vehicle, your track, your driving style, and overall setup, should dictate whether or not you need sway bars. For instance, on my Mugen MBX5T, it was pushing horribly in the corners because the rear end had all of the traction and was pushing the front around. I removed the front sway bar and went to a lighter oil and softer spring up front to allow the front end to move around a bit more and get some more traction, and problem solved, it turned in much much better off and on power. For some trucks, you would need to do the opposite for the same effect. Just depends really. But, in most cases, a sway bar is a must.