Wiki Posts
Search

XRay XT8 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Questions?? XRay XT8 Question

I've got the 07 (or 08) Spec XT8. About to do a full rebuild for this season, and was wondering what the cost would be if I wanted to upgrade it to an 09 Spec? Is it even worth it?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

It's not worth it. I run an 08 Spec XT8 as well and when I looked into it...there was no kit available so each part had to be ordered individually. The cost was almost the price of the 09 Spec! I should check again, maybe they released a kit...but I'm not aware of one.

The recommendations (from the XRay Forums) were to choose only the 09 parts you knew you needed. So if the 08 Spec Parts aren't giving you problems....I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. I am still contemplating a chassis upgrade though since the 09 is longer, but that means new Center Shafts and a body....which adds up quickly.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

It costs to much to upgrade the truck you have the easiest thing to do is sell it and buy the 09 spec
Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think the full upgrade is worth it. But some things are!

I run the 07/08 spec with 808 shocks (you have to use 808 rear shock shafts in front, and XT8 rear shafts in the rear if you do that) but you can just buy the 09 spec shocks now. THAT is a good upgrade!

I have the front upper camber link mod on mine (hard to explain... basically you use a camber link like the rear on the front. Not hard to do) That helps with steering. The 09 spec has that already. THAT also is a good upgrade, and relatively cheap.

The 09 spec has lightened CVDs and the outdrives are different too. Not needed in my opinion, unless you are trying to be ultra-competitive. I doubt the average driver will notice the difference.

The chassis is longer on the new truck, so the center CVDs are different... and it uses the 808 motor mount instead of the older style one. Those are the parts worth upgrading IMHO.

The shock towers, servo tray, and center diff top plate are carbon fiber on the new truck. I actually personally PREFER aluminum, even with the extra weight. If I bought the new truck I'd put the stuff from my old one on it.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

p.s. the captured hingepin stuff you asked me about before in PM do NOT come with the new truck. You still have to buy that stuff separately if you want it.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

I run an 808 King Headz Motor Mount on my 08 Spec. I just drilled some new holes in the chassis ;-)

I also got mine as a roller with Jammin Big Bores already installed. VERY nice upgrade...

DOMIT....tell me more about this camber link upgrade? Pics maybe?

Hard to see in the pic, but here it sits...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MotoGod
I run an 808 King Headz Motor Mount on my 08 Spec. I just drilled some new holes in the chassis ;-)

I also got mine as a roller with Jammin Big Bores already installed. VERY nice upgrade...

DOMIT....tell me more about this camber link upgrade? Pics maybe?

Hard to see in the pic, but here it sits...
Sorry, I don't have any pics. Basically you take off the front upper arms, and put a rear camberlink where it goes. Bolts go in the hole for the hingepin in the shock tower. You might have to have someone make you a little insert for the oval hole. (Someone did mine, from aluminum.) I don't know a better way to explain that. It is kind of a copy of the little plastic part that allows adjustment, but made from aluminum.

I think it would be pretty easy to do with a dremel and some patience with a piece of aluminum rod... these were made by a guy that does machining though.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

OK got it now. I remember seeing pics of an 09 Spec with no front upper arms and wondered what that was all about.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

The money you will spend to upgrade the chassis, center cvd's, big bores, new radio tray and a new steering link that you have to use with the new chassis you will be spending over half of what a new 09 spec costs so sell you're truck put that money with the money you were gonna spend for the upgrade parts and you can buy a whole new truck and not have a old truck with with a new chassis and shocks
Old 01-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
I run the 07/08 spec with 808 shocks (you have to use 808 rear shock shafts in front, and XT8 rear shafts in the rear if you do that) but you can just buy the 09 spec shocks now. THAT is a good upgrade!

By changing the shock shaft like that , wont that cause the shaft to break the bladder when you bottom out ?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Madbrad
By changing the shock shaft like that , wont that cause the shaft to break the bladder when you bottom out ?
A couple more details: You run the Losi shock "brackets" (dunno what to call them) on the rear arm to bolt the shocks to, and the little Losi spacers around the shock shaft above the shock end. That raises the height AND stops them from bottoming.

I'm pretty sure that drama isn't needed if you just buy the XT8 shock kit. Mine was done prior to the new truck, prior to big bores being available.

I also run an odd spring setup- front shocks on the inside hole, Jammin GREY springs for the buggy big bore rears on the front. Jammin BLUE truggy big bore rear springs. Rear is middle hole on the lower mount.

I've got my truck set up very lazy and easy to drive. I need it that way, I don't have the skills to deal with an aggressive setup.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Tech Adept

So, I've decided to keep my 08 Spec, upgrrade the shocks and front/rear suspension to the e-clip delete setup....then learn to drive the WHEELS OFF THIS THING! My question is, without buying the +5mm wheel adapters, what offset wheels should I run (it's been a while) standard or 1/2 offset.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JarheadRCGuy
So, I've decided to keep my 08 Spec, upgrrade the shocks and front/rear suspension to the e-clip delete setup....then learn to drive the WHEELS OFF THIS THING! My question is, without buying the +5mm wheel adapters, what offset wheels should I run (it's been a while) standard or 1/2 offset.
Your choice on the wheels. I run half offsets, and they are legal... (in fact it is about an inch narrow than the max for RC Pro Series) but the truck might turn better on standard offsets.

Note that changing wheels on half offsets is more hassle, and SOME wheel wrenches don't work- either not long enough, or the diameter on some is too big to go into the hole.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks DOMIT, you've been a big help on this matter. I'll be sure to post pics once I get it all up and running again.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

I run standard offsets on mine as well. I tried some half offsets, but it really takes away from the steering. Might be good on a super fast track though to stabilize it a bit more. My track is a mix of fast and technical though....so standards work for me.