Wiki Posts
Search

First big race question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default First big race question

I will be racing at motorama this year and had a question for you guys. I am kinda nervous about the bigger jumps that will be at this event. How should i properly approach this dilemma? at events like this, are the big jumps roll-able if i don't feel comfortable just hucking my car? I have been racing for two years at our local track (hobby hut) and i feel comfortable with their jumps. but i don't think their big jumps are going to be as big as the ones at motorama. i just dont want to destroy my car or more importantly another competitors car. thanks for the help.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First time is always nervous, roll em, get comfy with the lines and then just go for it. After you do it once, you're hooked on going big. Another great way to learn the lines and speeds is to phantom another car who knows the jumps/track. Follow his lines and speed a few times and before you know it, you're flyin'.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Go for it during practice! You'll crash but you'll only learn if you try it. Just think of it this way. It's not your body going over the jump as if you were on a dirt bike and it's not your fellow racers body either, so what is the real damage.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

You need to run enough during practice time to get comfortable with the track. THEN decide based on risk/reward. i.e. it is faster to take the jump, but can I make it consistantly? Because it is also faster to roll the jump than to be on your lid waiting for the marshall.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fievel
I will be racing at motorama this year and had a question for you guys. I am kinda nervous about the bigger jumps that will be at this event. How should i properly approach this dilemma? at events like this, are the big jumps roll-able if i don't feel comfortable just hucking my car? I have been racing for two years at our local track (hobby hut) and i feel comfortable with their jumps. but i don't think their big jumps are going to be as big as the ones at motorama. i just dont want to destroy my car or more importantly another competitors car. thanks for the help.
I race at Hobby Hut and you wont see many jumps that are that much bigger then there. 2 years ago they had a really big jump but the way it was setup, it was no harder to hit than a small jump. I say go for it! 1/8 scale cars can take a beating.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Go Big or Go Home your racing
Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

you should b ok. i dont think the jumps have been that big the last 2 years they were bigger the first year lol. plus the bigger the jump the more time to cerrect... also try not to roll them if theres ppl behind you exspecially me lol either get to the side before the jump or got for it cause that how cars get broken and iv seen some nasty argument over that.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree with Domit. try it during practice. Thats what its for. Technically you will be able to clear any jump on a track. Its all about being set up for the jump. If on any lap you dont feel that you car is set-up for a jump, its always a good idea to just roll it. Crashing at a jump is always going to cost you time. Being on your lid at the landing of a jump is going to be a time killer. a marshal is not always going to be able to go out and get you, right away.

Dont be affraid, just practice until you get the timing correct, and you will have a blast. BIG air is FUN!
Old 01-16-2010, 06:50 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

make laps. watch others. find the line. no harm in rolling the jumps in practice and even rd1. track that huge the loss of rolling them is very well less than waitin on a marshall in that cold haze, gettin lost behind a jump or marshall gettin some1 else 1st. be surprised. remember too long is better than short (even if another jump is ahead u can roll that 1). relax and have fun. run smooth and just make the laps, gettin marshalled alot in practice is no fun and ur screwed if u FO at that event.

R
Old 01-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am really hoping they dont have a spine jump. a lot of the videos of the recent races seem to have that type of jump. hopefully that only for the really big time races.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fievel

Best way about doing it is not to think about it, just do it (like nike) or else you'll be too nervous. If it helps take it slow first few laps then speed up gradually.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't worry about it, just go and have fun, and in case your not up to the pace just try to stay wheels on the ground (every time you get marshaled you lose time, lots of time), let the fast (or full bore guys) guys go by you, try to fallow the lines of a good racer in your qual. My best advice is try not to race anyone, race your self and you might end up surprising your self....
Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I forgot, a lot of time, actually most of the time you will be faster by rolling the jumps ( double, double and such a side) than jumping wheels in the air have no traction.....