Wiki Posts
Search

Team Durango DNX408 Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
For $700 and the very long wait for the release of this buggy, they better have their throttle servo and stripped spurs/clutch bell issues solved by now.
I couldn't agree with you more man.

I dunno though, you have drivers saying everything is ok and then you have that Malaysia team driver basically saying it's really jacked up. I have some serious cold feet now after reading the team drivers post. It is an expensive buggy, to expensive to buy and then find out there are all these issues after they held off on release for like a year. Serious cold feet.

And Lutz hasn't given us his opinion yet. I really want to see what he has to say. I know he is busy and worlds just got over but maybe cause he hasn't posted yet, really does mean that there is something wrong with this buggy. Lutz where are you?!? I trust what you say.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

To my understanding this guy is not more a "team driver" than I am. I got the car for the worlds and drove it there for the week + some in Bangkok before the worlds.

I can say that if you install the enginemount properly you'll not have any stripping issues. I installed the enginemount with proper locktite and it stayed on just fine untill I replaced the chassis for the finals (I did not have the skidplated version). Also I used aftermarket bell as well as the Durango one and no stripping. I'm still on the original spur which looks very good. So if it keeps stripping there is something else wrong.

Also I did not have any servo issues what so ever. I even ran the
throttle servo without the fuel tube on the linkage so if the car would be hard on the servo I'd quess it would have let go but it just kept going.

For the whole week I broke the following:

Wingmount
1 hingepin insert
Bent front cardan + bumper + front chassis stiffener (head-on collision to the rear double when jump was short)
2 shock bladders + shock boots

I'd say taht is very little considering the track. But soon we'll all know as the kit's will be available for public
Old 11-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You guys kill me.....

You have a choice to buy whatever you want. If your nervous about performance regardless, buy something else. It's a new, from the ground up car. You always take a risk buying something new. If your concerned, there's about 20 other buggies available right now that can get the job done.... No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy this car.. Everyone biotches about TD waiting to release the kit (until it's actually ready) but they'll be the first to biotch if something isn't perfect.. Give it a rest. I'm 100% positive they aren't going to release it until they think it's ready for public consumption...

The other issue I have is, how do you validate who says what??? It's the problem with the internet. If I come in here and say I drive for xyz team and the car blows, everyone flips out and assumes its a POS.... Then you get the internet fall out where that one story turns into everyone know's someone who know's someone who's brother drove the car at the worlds and said it's garbage.

How about saving your hard earned cash and extra week or two and waiting to hear from those that actually drove it... I promise, it'll still be FS.....
Old 11-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Poinas2
To my understanding this guy is not more a "team driver" than I am. I got the car for the worlds and drove it there for the week + some in Bangkok before the worlds.

I can say that if you install the enginemount properly you'll not have any stripping issues. I installed the enginemount with proper locktite and it stayed on just fine untill I replaced the chassis for the finals (I did not have the skidplated version). Also I used aftermarket bell as well as the Durango one and no stripping. I'm still on the original spur which looks very good. So if it keeps stripping there is something else wrong.

Also I did not have any servo issues what so ever. I even ran the
throttle servo without the fuel tube on the linkage so if the car would be hard on the servo I'd quess it would have let go but it just kept going.

For the whole week I broke the following:

Wingmount
1 hingepin insert
Bent front cardan + bumper + front chassis stiffener (head-on collision to the rear double when jump was short)
2 shock bladders + shock boots

I'd say taht is very little considering the track. But soon we'll all know as the kit's will be available for public
Got any pics of your ride? We can never have too many pics
Old 11-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

I just can't pull the trigger on this buggy yet. Too much in question and it would be nice for the Team to be chiming in and setting the record straight. They are making a mistake here, since a friend of mine just purchased a Kyosho this week and I just ordered a TKI2 today also. I hope they get this all figured out since I am still interested in the buggy. I just did not want to wait any longer. Good Luck guys! I hope TD gets on the ball.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Hello everyone. I'm sorry for not replying in a timely manner. Between the long flight home and seeing my family, then having surgery on my mouth yesterday things have been busy.

Let me start off by saying that while I think some people take things to far I can see the reason for concern with what information is out there. Let me explain exactly what happened to me during the Worlds.

In the first qualifier I was on a decent top 10 run and had 1/2 a lap to go to finish the round when over the option double on the left side of the track the car cut over the first jump of it, but the power came back and I continued on to right before the face of the big double in the back. Before I reached it, the throttle cut again and didn't come back. I at first thought the engine cut but when my mechanics got the car the engine was still running. Thus my thoughts turned to throttle servo. The reason I thought it may be the throttle servo is because I was having sticking issues of the carb during the practice runs. So I knew the servo was over taxed turning those instances. However once I popped open the Rx box I noticed that my SWITCH wire had a crimp in it and was actually pinched in the box. After our first run every morning we had to leave our radio up in impound (lame, seeing as though nearly everyone is on 2.4 and the fact that you didn't have to put it up there before your first round.) Reason I mention that is because sense I saw the switch wire crimped i chalked up the cut issue to that. So I replaced the wire and took my car to the driver-stand where I could turn on my radio and check everything. (unfortunately they wouldn't let me take the radio down from the driver stand so I couldn't check distance but with the car right there in front of me everything was working flawlessly.)

I go out for the second round and as soon as I turn on my transmitter and my car is turned on in pit lane....no throttle....I was so angry. It was the World Championships and I knew I should have just changed all my electronics but I thought when I saw that crimped wire and checked everything on the drivers stand that that was it....How wrong I was. (so basically the same throttle servo took me out of 2 qualifiers.)

Third round was 16th overall with 4 bad laps....not bad Also had the fastest lap time of the entire round.

Fourth round I was on a decent run at the start and then after my pit stop started having a few rough laps. I went for the tripple double with about a minute to go and got it all wrong. Very tough landing and the engine cut. (There was my 3rd drop and put me out of any shot at the Semi's)

Fifth round was my best run of the weekend. I was finally able to back it off about 10% and drove as clean as I could. Came away with 2nd for the round and the fastest laptime for the round again.

Sixth round was another solid run, couple mistakes but all in all not to bad. Came away with 6th for the round and I believe the fastest lap time for the round.

So my four qualifiers that counted were a 2nd, 6th, 16th, 50th.
This put me into the 1/4 final.

So came the 1/4 final and I had a rough start. My tires took about 3-4 min to really come in so I fell outside of 10th place at the start. But once the tires came in it was go time. I moved all the way up to 3rd and was picking people off left and right until after the wagon wheel in the top left the car cut. I don't know if this first time was the engine or the servo. The marshall brought it back to pit lane and it was dead so it could have been either one. My pit guys fired it back up and I ran for a bit more until in another corner it cut...I continued to manipulate the throttle and it came back. So I continued, and it cut and came back another 5 or 6 times during the main until I just pulled it off. In the end though on Sunday I had the 3rd fastest lap time of the entire day. Only surpassed by King and Tebo in the Semi and A-Final.

I still need to send my 2 servos that I had issues with back to KO to see what exactly happened. I don't think it's fair to pass judgement yet with how tough that track was and the problems every manufacturer was having. I ran the entire R/C Pro Finals on a completely blown out track without issue so again, more information needs to be examined.

In my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth I really really am excited about this car. It is the best looking car out there and it thoroughly impressed me all week. I was able to pilot it to many of the fastest lap-times
of the entire week and the durability of the car was astounding! People from other companies were laying mention to me at how they couldn't believe it wasn't breaking during some of the crashes I had. For those that weren't there, I know you've heard a million times how hard the track was but if you weren't there you just can't comprehend how horrific the crashes really were.

I hate to say this but the spur/clutchbell issue mentioned was absolutely user error in some way. Engines just don't come loose time after time.....

What I can say is that what Kevin has told you and what Hupo has done in testing is absolutely true. They haven't had any issue with the servos. But when the car gets in more hands and on more tracks you will see if things pop up and if there is something that needs addressed. What I can say is this, while the servo incident was pretty isolated at the worlds it has not gone unnoticed by Durango. I can honestly say I have never worked for a company who is so serious about racing and serious about making the top of the line product that racers want. If an issue presents itself you can rest assured that Durango will rectify any issue in a timely manner. I'm so excited to race for this company and I can't wait to get some more stick time with the cars and show what they are truly capable of.

If you have doubts about the car then by all means, wait a bit and see how the first people to get the car respond. What I can guarantee though is that you will eventually get the DNX408 anyways because it simply is an awesome machine and performs awesome on the track!

Please let me know if I can answer any more questions you have on the car. (I'm sorry at the moment I don't know the release date or if anything in that area is being changed.)

-Lutzinator
Old 11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Ryno!

Gongrats on the showing! Car certainly seems fast!

I've put off racing buggy again for years and years but honestly the 408 is the first rig that might get me out there again. I love the layout and technology designed into this thing.

Hoping the best Ryan! Thanks for setting peeps straight!

Eric.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good stuff Ryan, I always thought you were a class act especially after you offered me a water at Silver State a few years ago after I got stuck marshalling under that bridge and was beat down haha. You rep your companies well and I am sure you will rock that Durango. Hope ta see you at The Dirt Nitro Challenge!!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ryan thanks for taking time to come on here and give us your feedback. It was awesome watching you pilot that car around that crazy track with so little time behind the wheel and make a run at the finals.

In your professional opinion, would you say that the throtle servo does not seem to heat up more than your previous servos with your old Tamiya rig? Has Gerd or Hupo had any coversation with you regarding all the internet chatter about the servo conerns?

I am super pumped about this new rig and can't wait to get mine (pre-ordered it back in August). Hopefully you can start sharing some set ups with us once it comes out.

Congrats again to you on your success at the Worlds. You are going to be a dangerous man in 2011 with the 408!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

14 viewers and growing I dont care what people say thats a awesome looking kit
Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by itbvolks
Ryno!

Gongrats on the showing! Car certainly seems fast!

I've put off racing buggy again for years and years but honestly the 408 is the first rig that might get me out there again. I love the layout and technology designed into this thing.

Hoping the best Ryan! Thanks for setting peeps straight!

Eric.
It is an awesome layout and for sure a lot of technology and different ideas went into it. It's what Durango is known for!!

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie
Good stuff Ryan, I always thought you were a class act especially after you offered me a water at Silver State a few years ago after I got stuck marshalling under that bridge and was beat down haha. You rep your companies well and I am sure you will rock that Durango. Hope ta see you at The Dirt Nitro Challenge!!
You deserved that water!!

Originally Posted by hookem34
Ryan thanks for taking time to come on here and give us your feedback. It was awesome watching you pilot that car around that crazy track with so little time behind the wheel and make a run at the finals.

In your professional opinion, would you say that the throtle servo does not seem to heat up more than your previous servos with your old Tamiya rig? Has Gerd or Hupo had any coversation with you regarding all the internet chatter about the servo conerns?

I am super pumped about this new rig and can't wait to get mine (pre-ordered it back in August). Hopefully you can start sharing some set ups with us once it comes out.

Congrats again to you on your success at the Worlds. You are going to be a dangerous man in 2011 with the 408!
Yes I would say the throttle servo gets hotter in the Durango than it did in my Tamiya. The Durango is a much tighter car and the servo is close to the engine case. I haven't spoken with Gerd or Hupo sense the Worlds. I'm sure everyone is just trying to get back to life as usual! ;-)
I will be sharing all the set-ups I can when the cars released! So far I only have 2 tracks for comparison but that will grow as 2011 progresses!

I'm looking forward to being Dangerous in 2011!

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
14 viewers and growing I dont care what people say thats a awesome looking kit
It's even better looking in person!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Ryan compared to your old ride to new what is the biggest improvement also many people have a lot of curiosity with new braking system can you explain the differences from a tradition brake setup verse the Durango
Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was able to see the Durango at Texas and it looks awesome, at the world it was just bad luck, the car is really impressive, good luck on you future races Ryan we know you will be really dangerous see you around
Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

I like how TD has made huge strides in making the whole package as low in CG as anything I've ever seen.

My hope is the production unit's contain most of what was shown in the proto images. Serious technology hiding in there

How's the balance Ryan? Pretty solid?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey Ryan awesome job at the worlds The durango will live up to the hype
Are you still heading to oz for the byron fuels race in december All the sunshine coast clubbies are looking forward to your return Hope to have my durango there
Subject to availability I can dream Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.