Wiki Posts
Search

Team Durango DNX408 Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j_blaze14
i'm guessing yes cause lutz likes to drive both. he probably would not have picked durango if there was not a truggy in the future.
Possible, I think he did state that he was looking for a team that had a long-term view. What that means exactly I'm not sure, but considering Tamiya's lack of commitment at the most recent worlds, I think Ryan made a smart move.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by captain america
Possible, I think he did state that he was looking for a team that had a long-term view. What that means exactly I'm not sure, but considering Tamiya's lack of commitment at the most recent worlds, I think Ryan made a smart move.
I have to agree on that observation about Tamiya at the worlds. They had Viktor Wilck at their disposal to represent the TRF team with Lee Martin. Don't have a clue what happened or what was their planned program for the world's?

Last edited by JRRobiso; 11-15-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Poinas2
So I drove the car in Worlds without any issues with servos. I'm using the new Savöx HV servos and they seems to perform very nicely. Also what i understood was that the "servo issue" was just a problem with the wires so
the car itself does not brake servos like Serpent did so all the speculation can end here.

Anyway it's a nice car, very stable, jumps well, responds well to the setup changes etc. Also the car took some serious hits during the week and survived nicely. Some speculated about the wing holding and I can confirm it takes what ever you throw at it. It will be a strong contender.
Got any pics of your ride? We can never have too many pics
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Understandably, the most rational course of action would be to wait for a proper report on what exactly happened, at the very least so that people can make a better informed decision with regards to buying the car. I mean realistically, Maifield & Savoya also each had at least one servo go down in cars that aren't known to be hard on electronics, and given the extremely harsh track conditions, you have to expect things like this.

You need to understand though that people are also still very sensitive over the toasting servo issues with the Serpent. Many people assumed based on past experiences that a car wouldn't be released unless it was reasonably tested and relatively problem-free, and I just think that people aren't too keen on having to be guinea pigs a second time around.

I mean, if you break a suspension arm or a ball linkage fails it's still a very manageable expense, but a servo is roughly $100 a pop, so 2 or 3 consecutive failures like that means not only a DNF, but a pretty substantial financial expense on top of all the other usual racing expenses, so I can see both sides of the issue here.

Of course i understand, it's a serious problem in the Serpent buggy and so was in the 8ight, but i'm reading people who states they won't get the buggy just because of Ryan's servo problem, which we don't know any details yet! And after Poinas2 comment, it seems there wasn't that kind of servo failure.

Well, we know how it works on the internet though

Got any pics of your ride? We can never have too many pics
+1!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey Lutz, After your ridiculously long plane ride home and some Good Bed rest.....would you care to explain the details of the servo failure ?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im sorry but i watched the worlds and everyone of lutz races and if he didnt have the servo wire problems he had in the beginning i know he and the durango would have been top contenders in the finals.
even with the extra pressure from the first two dnf he raced awesome , he had some bad crashes and a few were not his fault at all. in my opinion that is testament to his skill and the quality of the car, great job lutz
Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Getting closer and closer to release hopefully!!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default This is now a confirmed issue

"It was not a good race for me at all. I had issues with my prototype car. The main thing with it is that the Durango is a very stiff buggy. When you land it over and over again at the jumps there, my engine mount started shifting its position slightly making me strip clutch bells and spurs. And being at the most harsh track that I have never driven on, that didn't help. The guys that went for practises before definitely had the advantage. I finished almost at the bottom because of these issues. I also had Servo problems as well. The good thing is that the Durango Team will look into this straight away and rectify the problems on the 408 and with Ryan Lutz on board, they should be able to rectify the problems. "

-jets

This was posted on the Durango thread in the Malaysian forum. The driver, Jets, is a team driver for the Malaysian Durango team. He also goes on to mention that the release date may be delayed until they get the throtle servo issue rectified

Damn.........
Old 11-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OH snap....that really sucks. Really sucks.

Wonder why Lutz hasn't filled us in yet...

And who was that Kev guy that posted in here that there was no issue?? Does he work for Durango?? Cause now a team driver is posting this, he kind of looks like a fool saying there was no servo issue.

Good find man. And thanks for filling the rest of us in. tyvm

Do you always browse malaysia forums?? lol how did you find this?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi I do not work for Durango but started driving for them since the european championships we have done lots of running and had no problems with servos or spur gears . Please take in to account that so many cars experianced problems with servos at the worlds track . I went out with ryan and hupo for the test before the worlds and this track is something else but again we had no servo issues between us. i have tried lots of makes of servo inc savox,ace,spectrum and now hitec to test for any problems and they are still going strong. we have had some great result inc hupo winning the german nationals and I finished second at the proline meeting in the uk results that have been achived through good relabilty and speed.
anyway here is a pic of my car
Team Durango DNX408 Prototype-14112010043.jpg
Old 11-18-2010, 03:21 AM
Tech Adept

I have heard that the set up of the carb for the throttle servo is very important.

If the carb is not angled correctly (and is left straight) it puts additional pressure on the throttle servo. Sometimes to the point that the carb can jam.

As for Ryan's wire on his servo (which caused a failure) you cannot fault a car when the wire is crimped. That could happen to anybody if the wire is in a compromising position. Again not really the cars fault.

As with a lot of reported failures, set-up of the linkages is vitally important to reduce excessive strain in the system.

I am not concerned.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

To be honest, servo faliure is so so normal during the WC in Pattaya, had a friend there racing a D8, and had 8 steering servo faliures.... My point is simple, before everyone jump in to this and claiming 408 are killing servos, please be fair cause the car is not even out yet!

On the other hand, the performance of the servo had alot to do with adjusting too, an end point that are wrongly set will do the servo great harm.

The skill of the drivers are also relevent to a point, how you treat your equipment cannot be judge by simply reading some threads from a forum...

I am not saying the Malaysian driver is not capable, since I never saw him drive. However, he is claiming he strip alot of clutch bells because the engine mount is moving, then someone reply his MBX-6 do the same, and you know what? If you do not check your engine mount screw and tighten them up to be sure, it will get loose one day...oh, may I ask what kind of thread lock he is using?

I am one of those who respect all the testing that are done by the team. We all have to agree there may be some small problems founding it's way out when the car are actually open to the general public, since team members who are actually testing the cars will normally had a certain skill level so he can do the job right, but for general pubilc, the skill level did varies...

I have to admit I am one of the lucky few who got the 408 before it's actual release (I am not working for them thou), and I can also tell how much efforts are putting on the 408, just take a look on the production chassis against the proto-type, you should know what I mean.

Give Durango a fair chance, and stop making judgement when "one" of the guy who test the car said it's got problems, there are many of us out there and whatever problems we've got, the Team had look in to it and provide very good feed back.

Team Durango, keep up the good work, your innovation is what we need for the industry.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ironpeddler
OH snap....that really sucks. Really sucks.

Wonder why Lutz hasn't filled us in yet...

And who was that Kev guy that posted in here that there was no issue?? Does he work for Durango?? Cause now a team driver is posting this, he kind of looks like a fool saying there was no servo issue.

Good find man. And thanks for filling the rest of us in. tyvm

Do you always browse malaysia forums?? lol how did you find this?
No I don't make it a habit to browse the Malaysian thread, but someone told me about Team Durango having a more detailed thread on that forum with input from people who were actually driving the car.

I have no doubt that if there realy is a throtle servo issue, Team Durango will get it fixed quickly. I, like most of you, really want this buggy/company to be successful. I have had my 408 on pre-order since early August with my LHS and fully intend to stick with it.

It is true that many drivers at the Worlds had servo problems, but most of them were steering servos, not throtle servos like the Durango's had. I think this is why a lot of people are concerned.

I too have heard that Ryan's issue was most likely a servo wire getting cut and shorting out the servo; however until he can confirm, its all speculation at this point.

I am just trying to report facts without creating speculation. Like Fox news says: fair and balanced.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Hi Guys
I just returned from Pattaya, and i almost bought a Durango there.
I realy like this car, i think it will be amazing.

I drove a MBX6, and broke things i never broken before, including 2 BLS351 servos (streering).

All i want to say is that, this track can break anything, and we can't learn from it about the cars quality.

Best of luck.
Guy Rinkevich
Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

For $700 and the very long wait for the release of this buggy, they better have their throttle servo and stripped spurs/clutch bell issues solved by now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.